Firefox 3.6/XP

RichardB

Got a laptop here XP with Firefox 3.6 installed, can view anything, but cannot create a new posting (lets me click New Topic but not do anything else).

Also cannot Reply to any existing post; just can't type into the main box.

Weird. Any thoughts.

Others laptops OK; the one I'm on now has Firefox 3.5.8 on it and, whilst, old and slow (like me) it works fine.

I updated Firefox 3.5.8 to Firefox 3.6 about 2 weeks OK

As usual with Firefox the upgrade was quick, smooth and problem free.

My computer is running Windows XP and I use Firefox rather than IE8 for all my Sheffield History stuff.

Not had any problems with it.

It could be a fault caused by a Java add on if the ability to post uses Java applets.

When I upgraded from 3.5.8 to 3.6 Firefox informed me on startup as 3.6 that it had disabled a Java version which was no longer compatible.

This required a restart of Firefox and on restarting Firefox found a newer, compatible version of Java which it installed (requiring another restart) straight away and then worked normally.

Has Java been disabled in Firefox because it is not a compatible version?

Have you got the latest Java for Firefox?

The latest one appears to be version 6.0.18

Got a laptop here XP with Firefox 3.6 installed, can view anything, but cannot create a new posting (lets me click New Topic but not do anything else).

Also cannot Reply to any existing post; just can't type into the main box.

Weird. Any thoughts.

I tried Firefox 3.6 Alpha 1 whilst in Beta Testing last year, had similar problems, so reverted back to 3.5.8

Does 3.6 still have the daft name it had whilst in Beta ( NAMOROKA)

I tried Firefox 3.6 Alpha 1 whilst in Beta Testing last year, had similar problems, so reverted back to 3.5.8

Does 3.6 still have the daft name it had whilst in Beta ( NAMOROKA)

No, it just says Firefox version 3.6 on the home page, although they do advertise with a daft name.

The use of daft names is fairly common with free / open source and especially Linus applications.

Each new update to Ubuntu seems to have a daft name as well as a version number.

Firefox 3.6 with Java 6.0.18 works OK for me on win2000

Also downloaded the flagfox add-on. Never realised that Sheffield History's server is in Turkey!