Sheffield History email scam

SteveHB

It appears that a number of emails have been sent out to some of our members

by someone calling themselves BoardAdministrator.

If you receive one of these emails please ignore and delete it.

Steve

It appears that a number of emails have been sent out to some of our members

by someone calling themselves BoardAdministrator.

If you receive one of these emails please ignore and delete it.

Steve

steve, i got one of those emails this morning, from the Boardadministrator , ive deleted it anyway!!!!!!

mick

Me as well :angry: ....does this board allow bulk emailing to all members??

No we do not allow mass PM'ing or emailing,

however the spammers/hackers have ways of getting round this.

Guest PaulDCocker

No we do not allow mass PM'ing or emailing,

however the spammers/hackers have ways of getting round this.

This site obviously has poor security - can you delete my account please. (not that I ever use it)

Please delete my registration/account too please - not happy with your level of security

If the email said something like this

BoardAdministrator has sent you a new personal message titled "Warning! Next time we will have to complaint to your ISP.".

You can read this personal message by following the link below:

This is just the forum sending you a message to say you have received a "Personal Message" on the site, your email address has not been compromised. It is down to your personal settings on the site. There is a choice to receive an email notification if you receive a personal message.

I, like everyone else, got this as a message on the index page. I can understand that for some people this can be quite disconcerting.

If this happens again, would it be possible for an administrator to put a notice on the index page telling us to ignore and delete the message?

Guest DoreenC

Yes, I've had one too. Had me checking my Security system, but I didn't go to their link! Not very happy with this at all.

Yes, I've had one too. Had me checking my Security system, but I didn't go to their link! Not very happy with this at all.

Not clicking on suspect links has got to be the number 1 rule on the Internet.

If you have received emails about the personal message here is how to stop them

go to "My Controls"

there is a click box to enable email notification of personal messages, un click this

The spammers do not know your email address

I thought my settings were set so this couldnt happen but i got one,but its no real concern,look at the private message its easy to figure out someone who claims to be an administrator would have more than one previous post :mellow:

I received the following message from admin apparently.....

Dear, Biscuit Head!

A virus alert was noticed on your computer.

We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" Head

If you do not pass this test we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP with attached log file (your IP address, etc.).

I haven't logged onto the site for over a year I think.....and there are no viruses on my computer.

Please delete my account anyway.

Best wishes,

Biscuit Head.

I'm feeling left out now! I didn't get one of these :ph34r:

Turn on email notification of a new Personal Message Mike, you can join in !!!

(Don't)

(Don't)

This needs confirming, it was not an email scam it was a rogue member mis-using our personal message facility.

At no time was email information compromised.

(Don't)

It was and is turned on? Only thing I've just changed is to tick the hide email address - which was not ticked. I'm obviously not even worthy of being scammed now :( Think I might just go and sit in a corner - on my own :mellow:

It was and is turned on? Only thing I've just changed is to tick the hide email address - which was not ticked. I'm obviously not even worthy of being scammed now :( Think I might just go and sit in a corner - on my own :mellow:

You must have been the chosen one to continue posting after everybody else got the virus. :)

lol I just sent a message to ADMIN about this!

Should have checked the boards first :blink::rolleyes:

I thought it was a scam of some kind, but deleting your account from this site isn't really gonna solve anything is it? Ahh well worse things have happened

In fact that PM has done one thing for me.......lol brought me back to this wonderful site! Not been on in a while he he

Lozz lol

lol I just sent a message to ADMIN about this!

Should have checked the boards first :blink::rolleyes:

I thought it was a scam of some kind, but deleting your account from this site isn't really gonna solve anything is it? Ahh well worse things have happened

In fact that PM has done one thing for me....... lol brought me back to this wonderful site! Not been on in a while he he

Lozz lol

Welcome back, lots of updates to catch up on ! Enjoy.