Bacon's Large Scale Plan of Sheffield (pre - 1900)

vox

Superb: makes life a little easier

Having studied this map in detail for the first time as a result of the interactive map, I question the pre-1900 date. There are four sections of tramway marked on the map which were not built until 1904 (Wolseley Road, Shoreham Street, the Paternoster Row and Furnival Street line and Queens Road from Leadmill Road to Queens Road depot).

I question the pre-1900 date. There are four sections of tramway marked on the map which were not built until 1904 (Wolseley Road, Shoreham Street, the Paternoster Row and Furnival Street line and Queens Road from Leadmill Road to Queens Road depot).

Excellent, constructive critisism with evidence to back it up - exactly what this, and every other posting needs. None of us are "the expert" at any of this, just people doing our best and your comment Madannie77 makes us all think a little more. Thank you.

And thanks to you all for your appreciation of what was, for me, an enjoyable exercise.

(Inspired by Stuart & Jeremy's epic task of the 50's OS)

I think at some time soonish I'll have a go at the Geographia Streetplan (Unless someone else has already started.)

And thanks to you all for your appreciation of what was, for me, an enjoyable exercise.

(Inspired by Stuart & Jeremy's epic task of the 50's OS)

I think at some time soonish I'll have a go at the Geographia Streetplan (Unless someone else has already started.)

(Unless someone else has already started.)

You jest; most of us don't have a clue how you do what you do here, same goes to Stuart and Jeremy.

I don't know about Steve but I'm just happy to have played my part (early on) in what has become a wonderful resource.

Guest Brother Richard

Trying to pin this map down to a closer date I would point out that Westways School (Western Road-Crookes) is not on this map. It was built in 1903 given that was the probably the foundation date I am not sure when it should start appearing on maps. But if this map was circa 1905 would it not be on this map with Mona road as well?

I was curious because I was trying to work out what the building or buildings are on this map where my house now stands (On school Road south of the gap between the two words "School" and "Road") looks like a walled in closure

Just some thoughts

Richard

Trying to pin this map down to a closer date I would point out that Westways School (Western Road-Crookes) is not on this map. It was built in 1903 given that was the probably the foundation date I am not sure when it should start appearing on maps. But if this map was circa 1905 would it not be on this map with Mona road as well?

I was curious because I was trying to work out what the building or buildings are on this map where my house now stands (On school Road south of the gap between the two words "School" and "Road") looks like a walled in closure

Just some thoughts

Richard

Thank you for posting your information,

well worth taking a closer look into that.

And Welcome to Sheffield History.

Just some thoughts

Richard

Hi Richard,

from what you describe I would say the buildings are terraced houses,

with gardens or allotments at the rear.

Just to the east stood Spring Villa (1890).

SH link to Bacon's map

And in 1849 ..

SH link to Crookes/Walkley Area 1849

Just some thoughts

Richard

Hi Richard,

We used to live on Mona Avenue (formerly Gillott Street) in the 70's & 80's. At that time the plot immediately east of Ainsley Road was occupied by Jewitts bakery.

This bakery incorporated the remnants of a large old house if my memory serves me right.

I think that this may have been the Spring Villa shown on the other maps.

Jewitts used to have a sales shop on Crookes and I believe others elsewhere.

The bakery was demolished during the eighties, I think, and housing erected on the site.

hilldweller

Guest Brother Richard

I have done a little more searching around and found this chaps excellent webpages

http://www.chrishobbs.com/springhill1980.htm

I can even see my house opposite the the bakery of Thomas Jewitt and Son across Ainsley Road.

Apparently a lady living near by told my wife that where our houses 181-185 school road are used to be some lovely old cottages - I will have to stop her next time I see her and find out more.

My interest in joining this group was to try and discover the oldest parts of Crookes if Chris Hobbs is correct the Coomonside / School Road seems to be fitting that bill - http://www.chrishobbs.com/sphill.htm

Rich

PS I will try and date some more local buildings and see if they are on this map

I get the following error : The specified application has been disabled, which is nice.

Is this map working for anybody else? It won't work for me.

I've just tried to re-insert the links to the separate map sections and started with the top left hand section.

right clicking the map section,

copy link location,

paste into Google map link and save.

The link now takes it to the top of that map page ??

Tried it a couple of times - same result - any ideas

Click on a square to view the pre-1900 map of that area.

View Bacon Pre 1900 Interactive in a larger map

Strange that Bacons pre 1900 map shows Rivelin Valley Road quite clearly, strange that considering Rivelin Valley Road was constructed in 1907.

Strange that Bacons pre 1900 map shows Rivelin Valley Road quite clearly, strange that considering Rivelin Valley Road was constructed in 1907.

Hi nevthelodgemoorowl.

Just checked and Rivelin Valley Road is not on the Bacons map.

www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums post #12, map 01.

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2010 at 20:22, vox said:

Click on a square to view the pre-1900 map of that area.

View Bacon Pre 1900 Interactive in a larger map

Not working, just say's the page you requested doe's not exist..

52 minutes ago, Pitsmoor Col said:

Not working, just say's the page you requested doe's not exist..

I got a PDF from all the links that come up apart from North and North West which gave the results that you got.

1 hour ago, madannie77 said:

I haven't been able to sort out the missing maps from the interactive map above yet, but the nine individual parts of the map can be seen and downloaded at https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/4458-other-mapsplanslayouts/?do=findComment&comment=25234. Scroll down past the street index.

Thank you.