Guernsey, Alderney & Sark Roads

Guest sgfoote

Guest sgfoote

As a recent visitor to Sheffield, I noticed that there are three streets named after three Channel Islands - Guernsey Road, Alderney Road and Sark Road.

Can anyone help me by explaining how they came to be named after the Channel Islands, and what links there are or may have been between the islands and the city?

As a recent visitor to Sheffield, I noticed that there are three streets named after three Channel Islands - Guernsey Road, Alderney Road and Sark Road.

Can anyone help me by explaining how they came to be named after the Channel Islands, and what links there are or may have been between the islands and the city?

In Peter Harvey's 'Street Names of Sheffield' he says there were 4 streets built in 1877 for the Sheffield & South Yorkshire Building Society and all named after Channel Islands (aslo Jersey Road in S2).

Multiple villages all growing together (Biggest Village in the World); each had its own High Street, South Street, New Street, Green Street etc etc so names were altered e.g. Green becomes Greenhow etc or they just make up new names to fill in the "gaps"; probably based on holidays or visits from Channel Island dignatories.

Hi

My Grandfather was a Gurn. Named, Audoire.

Its only a guess but the CI did some metalworking and many came to learn skills, there was quite a colony I believe. This swelled with evacuees in WW2. My Granfather formed the Channel Island Society.

Link maybe?

Mike

Hi

My Grandfather was a Gurn. Named, Audoire.

Its only a guess but the CI did some metalworking and many came to learn skills, there was quite a colony I believe. This swelled with evacuees in WW2. My Granfather formed the Channel Island Society.

Link maybe?

Mike

That would be Edward John Audoire; was he related to Harry Issac Audoire of Wake Road (1925). ? Son maybe ?

[No, I'm not related ...]

That would be Edward John Audoire; was he related to Harry Issac Audoire of Wake Road (1925). ? Son maybe ?

[No, I'm not related ...]

Edward John Audoire....correct, lived at Walkley. I dont think I know a Issac. Not a son. probably connected though. They seemed to have large families in Guernsey. Audoire name is still unusual in Sheffield I think. I have loads of photograhs, particularly of WWI and WW2 home guard. I will have a look. He was a real old soldier. There are some of these posted on a website called "Channel Islands at War". I intend to put something together one day.

I have no idea what brought him to Sheffield, I wondered if he had friends here learning metalwork. He was actually a gas fitter. He married someone in the siversmith trade (Mettam)

Thanks

Mike

Edward John Audoire....correct, lived at Walkley.

Thanks

Mike

Bet getting that reply made you jump ! I'm a Upperthorpe/Walkley chap myself, would be nice to find an addess for him. What year(s) are we looking at please ?

Worth PM'ing RichS regarding 1911 Census search for that surname. I think he needs the request via email, but PM him and work it out.

Would like a link to the pictures on Channel Islands at War if you don't mind.

Ta

Fishface

Guest audoirephilippe

Edward John Audoire....correct, lived at Walkley. I dont think I know a Issac. Not a son. probably connected though. They seemed to have large families in Guernsey. Audoire name is still unusual in Sheffield I think. I have loads of photograhs, particularly of WWI and WW2 home guard. I will have a look. He was a real old soldier. There are some of these posted on a website called "Channel Islands at War". I intend to put something together one day.

I have no idea what brought him to Sheffield, I wondered if he had friends here learning metalwork. He was actually a gas fitter. He married someone in the siversmith trade (Mettam)

Thanks

Mike

Ya mike

its my granda and grandma and you are my cousin .......Wheres anne