Sheffield City Limits

ukelele lady

Does anyone know what stood before the Sheffield City Limits? Yes it's another one of those

eerie stories. I think as I remember it was just a lot of old housing where all my school friends

lived and before that, fields maybe?

This calls for our map man. lol

Erm, are we off topic a bit? Aren't we talking about the building on Penistone Rd, junction with Capel St? Or am I spoiling the fun?......I'll get me coat....

Erm, are we off topic a bit? Aren't we talking about the building on Penistone Rd, junction with Capel St? Or am I spoiling the fun?......I'll get me coat....

I'll get mine instead. No, I don't know "Sheffield City Limits" so any confuzzlement is down to me. Sorry. Probably needs a grown up to split into two topics. Apologies again.

Mentioned before - here.

I'm fairly sure the original building is still there, with massive alterations inside and a new extended frontage.

I'll ask at the Barracks what the building was used for previously. I know it was empty for quite some time before the dance studio bought it.

Mentioned before - here.

I'm fairly sure the original building is still there, with massive alterations inside and a new extended frontage.

I'll ask at the Barracks what the building was used for previously. I know it was empty for quite some time before the dance studio bought it.

Like Richard I have not heard of "The City Limits"

City Boundaries post split off

Does anyone know what stood before the Sheffield City Limits? Yes it's another one of those

eerie stories. I think as I remember it was just a lot of old housing where all my school friends

lived and before that, fields maybe?

This calls for our map man. lol

1950's, Aven Works.

#239 & 238

Link to O/S map #239

Penistone Rd, 1925;

595 Robinson Mrs. Emma, shopkpr

High House terrace.

601 Jenkinson Irwin, vict

605 Woodcock Mrs. Sophia, grocer

607 Varney Ernest, labourer

609 Spye Arthur, labourer

611 Pollard William, labourer

613 Standon David, (j) auger ma

615 Standon Charles, householder

Capel street.

United Methodist Chapel.

Bacon's Large Scale Plan of Sheffield (pre - 1900)

link

Yes that's the one Bayleaf. it looks pretty new.

I'm told Darren Bennett and his wife Lilia [professional dancers] own it but his

parents run it.

The building is not new. I just passed this morning and I can verify that, as I thought, the original building is intact. It's just had some wooden features added to the frontage, along with a ramped access.

The building is not new. I just passed this morning and I can verify that, as I thought, the original building is intact. It's just had some wooden features added to the frontage, along with a ramped access.

I can see it's not new now Vox.Do you know what building I'd got in my head? The Gala bingo on Penistone road.

This building does look as though it was once some sort of firm/factory

Let us know if you find out what it was used for.UL

It's an excellent building inside. It certainly feels very modern. I do remember Lilia saying in an article that the building was derelict when they bought it and I found it hard to believe it was a refurb rather than a rebuild.

I believe that Darren Bennet's parents both own and run it, but I may be wrong.

In the 1980s it use to be a spring makers called Tonks.

I use the capel ie masons arms round the corner then and still do now before wednesday matches.

It's an excellent building inside. It certainly feels very modern. I do remember Lilia saying in an article that the building was derelict when they bought it and I found it hard to believe it was a refurb rather than a rebuild.

I believe that Darren Bennet's parents both own and run it, but I may be wrong.

I thought it was Darren Goughs, the cricketers parents who ran it. may have something to with him winning strictly come dancing.