Shotnell

miked

Hi,

I would be gratefull if anyone can tell me where Shotnell was. it does not seem to have survived as a place name.

I am writing about the rural cutlers of Bradfield parish. I am baffled as to where "Dysons of Shotnell" worked. I think it may be around Birley Carr.

I would also be interested if anyone has any relevent info, photos, or knives from the Bradfield area. (I am aware of Dennis Smiths work)

I am already using the directory posted by Jeremy -thanks.

Mike

Dyson name heavily used around Bolsterstone district ... or search Google for shotnell + sheffield - second hit is an Excel spreadsheet, can't do a link

Guest Barbara M

I enjoyed reading this , it must have taken you a long time to get all the info together, it is of interest to me because we once lived in the Foxhill area of Sheffield which is just up the road from Birley Carr. Also my family were scythe grinders in Sheffield.

This is what I enjoy about Sheffield History, all the interesting storys about the area that comes from researching family trees.

I enjoyed reading this , it must have taken you a long time to get all the info together, it is of interest to me because we once lived in the Foxhill area of Sheffield which is just up the road from Birley Carr. Also my family were scythe grinders in Sheffield.

Hi Barbara, thanks, did you ever see the place? I guess the scythe grinding was not in this area?

Mike

Guest Barbara M

No the scythe grinding started out at Barlborough then the family moved , first in 1851 census living at Smithy Wood parish of norton ,then to Holt House Cottages Ecclesall Bierlow in the 1861 census. The family were living in Heeley by the time my grandmother was born in 1883.

As to Birley Carr I wasn't interested in family history when we lived at Foxhill , which I now regret !

If only we knew what we would do later in life .........