One for Dave H.

Waterside Echo

I'm seriously considering keeping the old iron and getting a new wife ...

Now there's a thought, pity they have just finished "Scrappage" will have to rely on "Trade in Value"

She's got a new iron, I bought her one for her **th birthday in February lol

She just can't iron trousers lol

What a brilliant birthday present, - I bet she loved that one :rolleyes:

Anyway I thought for her last birthday you went to Switzerland, in February, to "see some real snow" at a time when Sheffield was already covered in the stuff.

If she can't iron trousers perhaps you are lucky, - old proverb say, -

"Woman who can't iron trousers, doesn't wear the trousers" he he

Now there's a thought, pity they have just finished "Scrappage" will have to rely on "Trade in Value"

Now here's someone who's wife clearly never reads what her husband posts on Sheffield History <_<

But, I know someone who could tip her off and grass you up :o

How much to keep my gob shut? Start the bidding at a pint down the boozer. :P

She's got a new iron, I bought her one for her **th birthday in February lol

She just can't iron trousers lol

Buy her a trouser press then :P

They are dearer to buy but are specially designed for doing trousers, - ideal for wives that can't do trousers in fact.

Fortunately my wife is brilliant with an iron, - just keeps wearing them out. :rolleyes:

Sounds like someone else is in need of a new iron lol

That's the trouble with irons, they jusy aren't made to last a reasonable length of time any more. :angry:

OK, here are some irons that HAVE lasted a long time from my wifes vintage laundry equipment collection.

Here is a collection of flat irons, sizes 3 to 7 inclusive

Now we haven't got a range or an Aga in the house to heat them up on but it shouldn't be that difficult to get them warmed up to a suitable temperature.

..and once they are hot enough I can guarantee that they will work because there's none of that unreliable, tempramental electrical stuff to worry about! lol

This collection is about 100 years old, - and they still work.

Now this next one is a gas powered iron from the earlier part of the 20th century, so also getting on a bit.

Unfortunately, like all gas appliances of this age it is designed to work with coal gas and not with natural gas from the North Sea.

In the early 1970's when the gas appliances were being converted this one was probably in a junk shop, in a skip or in someone's loft or garden shed so it missed out on conversion. :(

Not that it matters because our house is all electric these days anyway. Although there is a gas supply to the property it is not connected.

I don't get any gas bills, - but a proportionately larger electric bill.

I am assured that given a suitable gas supply that this iron is in perfect working order.

Finally we have this "Chinese Laundry" style hot brick iron

Although it is lacking its "brick" any suitable sized piece of brick, heated up in a fire and placed inside it would get it working.

Just like the flat irons shown previously this one is guaranteed to work.

Although this one is part of my wifes "laundry bygones" collection sadly irons like this tend to get used these days just for putting floral displays in :mellow:

Fortunately we use vases for that purpose lol

So why did we have to get a new electric iron,

Well nainly convenience of use, accuracy of the temperature control for use on different fabrics and the ability to steam the fabric ahead of and underneath the iron.

I think the modern irons, short lived and unreliable as they are, still win on those points.