XXI Olympic Winter Games. Vancouver 2010

mickjj

Well the Olympic games are here in my home town and I for one am really pumped up for it. I was lucky enough to get tickets for some of the Ice Hockey games and will be attending with my sons. The Olypic torch came by the bottom of our street yesterday morning of wich I took a very short film clip.

Olympic Flame

The Opening ceromonies are tonight then "Let the games begin"

I notice the Google Home Page which is frequently themed with a topical logo has today got a 2010 Vancouver Olympics look to it.

Better take a look today, it will probably be different tomorrow.

While the events of yesterday were tragic the games still go on.

Last nights opening ceremonies went without a hitch and while some things could have been shorter all in all it was a spectacle culmanating with the lighting of the Olympic flame.

The first gold medal has already been awarded. Swiss ski jumper Simon Ammann won Gold Poland's Adam Malysz Silver and Austrian Gregor Schlierenzauertook bronze.

While the events of yesterday were tragic the games still go on.

Last nights opening ceremonies went without a hitch and while some things could have been shorter all in all it was a spectacle culmanating with the lighting of the Olympic flame.

The first gold medal has already been awarded. Swiss ski jumper Simon Ammann won Gold Poland's Adam Malysz Silver and Austrian Gregor Schlierenzauertook bronze.

For those interested Google Street view have a special ski version for the olympics

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&hq...t-na-us-gns-svn

Well the party is over and what a party it was. Here are a few final thoughts and musings on the Olympic experience.

Atmosphere - I wasn't quite sure what to expect before the games began. There was a lot of hype from the press but how would the people react?. Well it was unbelievable how the population took hold of the games experience and rode it like a wave. From the torch relay arriving in the city to huge party after the Hockey final and the closing ceremonies it was ubelievable. Everywhere you went people were decked out in Canadian team wear, flags in winows and on cars.

Visitors - About a week befoer the games started I went to meet my son at the airport. While waiting for him flights were bringing athletes,coaches, press and tourists from all over the globe all seeming excited to be here. I had never seen the airport as busy. There was a buzz of anticipation of just how big this thing was going to be.

The Village - We spent a day just going around the Olympic Village/Downtown core. There were pavillions set up all over representing different countrys, provinces and cultures. Some more popular than others Heineken House (Holland), Guiness House(Ireland) and Molson Hockey House. I am sure it was nothing to do with them all serving beer .Locals, Athletes( yes even the NHL players) and tourists all mixed together and everyone was having a great time. In the evening there were free live concerts, firework and laser shows.

Live Events - I was lucky enough to attend a couple of Hockey games. Being at the Canada v Germany game was the closest to a cup final atmosphere I have ever seen in Canada, it was electric. The noise was deafening the whole game and the celebrations carried out onto the strees after the game. The Norway v Slovakia game was fun to be at also but the excitment level was not as high.

Gold Medals - I cannot finish without mentioning Canada's amazing haul of fourteen Gold medals(awinter Olympics record) and one in paticular. No one expected the athletes to do so well and congratulations to all. The Hockey gold medal game was something else. with an astonishing eighty eight percent of the country watching Candada prevailed to beat the USA 3-2 in overtime. This was the equvilant of England beating Germany in the world cup final. City centre streets were packed with fans right across the nation, nowhere more so than in Vancouver. My eldest Son went down town after the game on Sunday and did not arrive home until Tuesday afternoon thats how big a celebration it was.

Final Word - After experiencing the last seventeen days here I have one bit of advice to all of you. If you get a chance to go to the games in London or anywhere make the effort to go. Even if you do not get tickets for any of the events just go and enjoy the whole Olympic experience you will not regret it.