Club60

CarlPeters

Couldn't find much out about this place until I bought

Underneath the old Acorn pub on Shalesmoor.

They still have gigs on down there for those in the know, I'd love to go and have a look around and see what its like - I guess i'll have to learn the trumpet or something

Featured on Lady's Bridge album cover

Anyone got any more info on it?

Here's their recent website Club60 music

I've seen Milburn, Reverend and the Makers, Bromheads (Jacket) and the Crookes play down there: it's a superb little venue, steeped in musical history

Git! Fancy bringing me as your +1 next time? B)

I first visited the Club 60 in about 1963.(?)

Friday night was my night . Trad Jazz night. During the first session the music sounded like a mish-mash of instruments. However after a couple of pints at half time I 'saw the light' ! . I haven't looked back since. Trad is still my favourite music .

Sunday night was Modern Jazz. Maybe not my favorite but I still went to quite a few sessions.

I also went to a few Saturday night R & R sessions and saw and saw the top Sheffield stars of the time.

I had to transfer to the Esquire (Leadmill road) when Terry and his wife moved the 'club'but I much prefered the atmosphere at the Club 60 . Although the new venue (Esquire) with its hole in the upper floor was quite an innovation at the time - Happy memories

I'm also regularly invited to club 60. I have known many of the guys that run it via the local music scene for almost a couple of decades. There is some phenominal talent involved and many of them work with big acts in production or recording world. They often host nights at the shakespere and they run an internet blog radio station with lots of free music available. It is a real pleasure and privilage to know them.. The next time I get a band together I hope I could get it of a good enough standard to play down there for them.

Had some great times at club 60 unbeknown to parents Lol 63/64 

just looking at some old and recent footage of the club ,seems they still put on gigs WOW and now named the legendary club 60 🌟

Nos. 288 - 292 (formerly The Acorn Inn and for a time Club 60) Shalesmoor from Acorn Street looking towards the Ship Inn showing Nos. 288 - 292 Hallamshire Case Co. Ltd. 10th June 1965.

s19318.jpg.2eb2bc40afc7ee2430f8a22d47dd428a.jpgs19318

Acorn Inn where lives were lost in The Sheffield Flood of 1864. After about 135 years as a public house it closed in 1964. Used as a Jazz Club, Club 60 who rented the basement.

See: The definitive A to Z listings of Sheffield Public Houses, by Michael Liversidge. Local Studies Ref: 728.5 SQ. 

Thank you soo much Ponytail

i did look it up for the reasons of which artists still played there. I found out it was a very successful recording studio with many Sheffield up and coming great musicians , so was sad to hear it had closed in 2017 and the building demolished to make way for new development .Hopefully the artists found another venue🙏

Remembering  club 60 brilliant Joe Cocker at his best and Dave Berry,( still going ) Terry Thornton Eric Burdon and many more at the start of their careers .What an electric time for music the 60s

regards Suzy