Swan, Greenhill

Guest Jeremy

In White's 1849 directory in the Inns and Taverns for Norton there is:

Swan, John Camm, (quarry owner &c) Greenhill

The best candidate that I can find in our list is the Swan at Main Road, Ridgeway. Are they one and the same or is this a new one to add to the list?

In White's 1849 directory in the Inns and Taverns for Norton there is:

Swan, John Camm, (quarry owner &c) Greenhill

The best candidate that I can find in our list is the Swan at Main Road, Ridgeway. Are they one and the same or is this a new one to add to the list?

I have Swan, Greenhill, Norton John Camm (1854)

White Swan, Greenhill Main Road

Main record updated:

1828 (Blackwell's) George Makinson, victualler, White Swan (Greenhill)

1849 (White's) John Camm, Swan, Greenhill (quarry owner, &c)

1854 John Camm, Swan (Greenhill, Norton)

1856 (White's) Thomas Wilson, jun, Swan (Greenhill)

1861 (Census) Thomas Wilson, Mason & Publican (Greenhill)

1862 (White's) Thomas Wilson, jun, White Swan (Greenhill)

1879 (White's) George Hall, vict. White Swan (Greenhill)

(Richard: I've merged the Swan and White Swan on the spreadsheet at Google Docs)

The Landlord of the White Swan I remember from the sixties was a guy called Edwin Brocklehurst, who before going into the pub trade worked as a painter and decorator.

In 1845 a property and land sale was advertised in the Sheffield and Rotherham Independent, one of the lots for sale was the White Swan, at the time of the sale the Swan was in the occupation of John Camm.

White Swan.jpg

• Like 1

The sale of the White Swan in 1845 didn't go through, John Camm was still the owner of the Swan in 1854!

Thomas Wilson the publican at the White Swan in 1856 was the Son in Law of John Camm, he married John Camms daughter Ann in 1854.

As well as owning the White Swan John Camm leased several Quarry's, including a Quarry at Whirlow, the Quarry & Brickyard on Meadowhead (now Morrison's) and a Brickyard on Derbyshire Lane, he also owned a farm on Little Norton Lane.

His building firm did all the construction work at the new Norton Cemetery on Derbyshire Lane which  opened in 1869.