Chantrey Arms

Stuart0742

Info received by email

One of my ancestors Elizabeth Moore was landlady at The Chantrey Arms in Woodseats from the mid 1860's

until her death in 1891 and then her nephew John Gillatt took over until about 1905. Do you have any information

about when the pub was built and it's history in this period in time?

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Regards, John Smith

Can we find out more ??

Main Entry needs updating

Richard for your info as well

1879 (White's) Misses Hannah & Elizabeth Moore, shopkeepers, Woodseats

1881 (Census) Hannah Moore, publican and grocer; Elizabeth Moore, publican and grocer — Chantry Arms, Woodseats, Norton (Derby)

1871 (Census) Hannah Moore, age 33, Grocer; Elizabeth Moore, age 31, Grocer (living with father: William Moore, age 78)

1891 Census

Elizabeth Moore, age 50, grocer and beer retailer, Chantrey Arms, 295 Woodseats, Norton

John Gillatt, nephew, age 36, silversmith

Info received by email

One of my ancestors Elizabeth Moore was landlady at The Chantrey Arms in Woodseats from the mid 1860's

until her death in 1891 and then her nephew John Gillatt took over until about 1905. Do you have any information

Regards, John Smith

Can we find out more ??

All I had was James Cocker in 1948 and 1951, not a single scrap of information beyond that !

We'll wait and see if anyone else comes up with more - then we can update the records, really looking for something from the late 1860's to confirm her position. Nice finds Jeremy !

John Smith, what evidence do you have see was a Landlady in the 1860's please ?

really looking for something from the late 1860's to confirm her position.

The family are on the 1861 census, but Hannah and Elizabeth are listed as housekeepers. Their father, William, is listed as a farmer of 55 acres (employing 3 labourers) and a scythe manufacturer employing 32 men and 4 boys. The address given is Crab Tree Bank, Norton — I don't know this is the same place as the Chantrey Arms or not.

The 1862 directory has: Moore Wm. (Scythe Manufacturer), Little London Works; h Crabtree bank

The only Woodseats pubs listed in the 1862 directory are the Abbey Hotel (keeper = James Markham [new earliest known keeper]) and the Masons Arms (keeper = John Cadman [only known keeper!]). There is also a beerhouse with no name given (keeper = Ann Seddon).

On 09/02/2010 at 18:22, Stuart0742 said:

Info received by email

Regards, John Smith

Can we find out more ??

@Stuart0742 I'm also related to the moores, my family has lived around Norten Lees, Derbyshire Lane since late 1700s. The Yates and moores etc.