How old is this William Rodgers Dagger?

Guest wildlife

Guest wildlife

I found this dagger, stamped William Rodgers Sheffield England and the reverse side...I cut "8" my way. Blade is 5 5/8" long, overall length 10 1/8 " long. The "8" looks like an 8, but it could be something different. I'm going to try to put a picture on here, this is my first time using this forum!! thanks, Jim

Hello wildlife and welcome.

Looks like this is the "8" you refer to:

It's the Rodgers "I cut my way" Trademark. See photos.

The trademark was taken over by John Clarke & Sons when Rodgers died around the turn of the century.

Have a search round our site to see if there's any more info on William Rodgers. I'm sure you'll find other stuff of interest as well while you're at it..

And don't forget to keep us updated with any more information you may find elsewhere.

Here's a link to a similar topic.

Commando Knife

From "Levines guide to knives" 5th edition.

The William Rodgers company of Sheffeild, England started manufacturing in 1830-1855, the "I CUT MY WAY" trade-mark being sold to John Clarke & son in 1855 and then to the Egginton group in the 1980s.

That's a few bits to get you started already. :)

Guest wildlife

Thank you very much fellows! I knew this was an old knife, but I had no idea HOW old. It was found in an apartment building in Thunder Bay Ontario, the building being built in the 40's. It is in really good shape, with very few scratches on the blade itself. I will look around the site and see if I can find any more information on the dagger. Thanks again!! Jim

Guest wildlife

Still searching for 'clues' about this dagger. Its not a pocket knife, simply a dagger without its sheath. And yes, the "8" is actually a "chopping' or skinning type cleaver impression which is a typical 'trademark" of the William Rodgers knives.

Guest wildlife

Aha, I found out what that 'symbol' is on William Rodgers knives, it is called an 'Ulu', an Alaskan or Inuit skinning type knife that was used by Eskimoes up north in the bitter cold. Well, thats what it appears the most similar to me!

Here's one almost the same, but a bit better quality of finish. Probably because it was the officers version.

2nd World war.LINK

I found another one for sale which was described as having belonged to a Canadian Soldier in WWII

Sorry - can't find the web-page it was on. :(

Guest wildlife

Say VOX, that is exactly the same knife, identical. (meaning the picture you placed above, not the LINK) The LINK shows identical manufacture, but mine is not as 'nice'. Very possibly this knife of mine was owned by a Canadian soldier in WWII as the building is from the 40's and was found in a boiler-room. Thank you for the help in identifying this dagger. I was hoping that it was more RARE and valuable of course, and whom knows, as I have not found out yet exactly the history of this dagger. But I am certain i will find out if others take a look at the pictures! Jim

-- -- as I have not found out yet exactly the history of this dagger. But I am certain i will find out if others take a look at the pictures! Jim

This is here for keeps now wildlife so you never know who may stumble across it in the future and add more info. Maybe even the bloke who lost the knife and has been trying to find it for the last 50years. lol

Guest Pilgrimschoice

Hello,

I came across this William Rogers Sheffield England knife with the inscription "I cut 8 my way". The overall length is 10-3/8" with a blade length of 5-13/16". Does anyone know the age and value of this knife? I would be very interested to know this plus more of it's design and manufacture history.

Thanks,

Pilgrimschoice