Private Message "Scam"

MadMick

I have received 2 private messages on this site, both saying I have a virus and should go to a site to clear it. These are obviously scams, can anything be done about these?

Guest bangtidy

I have received 2 private messages on this site, both saying I have a virus and should go to a site to clear it. These are obviously scams, can anything be done about these?

Notsure madmick maybe block them or ignore them and report them to admin, maybe they can do something about it for you.

Hope you sort the problem out either way.

Hi MadMick

When did you receive these messages and who from.

We (like other sites) suffered an attack of bogus pm's last month, this was quickly picked up and the bogus members banned. I suspect your problem is leftover from this.

Everybody that uses email and the internet must be vidgilent about such scams, if in doubt do not click any link you are unsure of.

Let me now the details of your scam pm's

Stuart

The one received the other day is below Stuart

And the one below that was last month I think so could be the prob you talked about.

Dear, MadMick!

A virus alert was noticed on your computer.

We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: http://security-tool2010.net/MadMick

----------------------------------------------------

Forum Administration www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk.

Guest carlie167

I have just had another warning of a virus on my computer, this time from a board administrator, (although a new member) and threatening to delete my account and report me to my ISP if I don't comply.

This might seem a daft question, but is it genuine, and has anyone else had one?

By the way, I didn't follow the link, just in case, and I'm not sure how to include the link either.

I have just had another warning of a virus on my computer, this time from a board administrator, (although a new member) and threatening to delete my account and report me to my ISP if I don't comply.

This might seem a daft question, but is it genuine, and has anyone else had one?

By the way, I didn't follow the link, just in case, and I'm not sure how to include the link either.

Hello Carlie,

a link here .. Sheffield History email scam

Also had the same warning from the site admin saying my computer has a virus and my account will be deleted if i don't visit the virus scam site, they seem to be doing the rounds on various boards.

Guest carlie167

Thanks all, glad it's not just me.

I've deleted it anyway, no way would I open a link from someone I don't know, but it threw me a bit when I saw "board admin"

Yes had the time 6.16 am 20/02/2010

Dear, deeno!

We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: [xxxxxxxxxxxxxdeeno

If you do not pass this test we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP with attached log file (your IP address, etc.).

Guest moonface

Yes had the time 6.16 am 20/02/2010

Dear, deeno!

We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: http://securitytool2010.com/deeno

If you do not pass this test we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP with attached log file (your IP address, etc.).

I had this too but i haven't logged on here for nearly 2 years and don't think i've left any messages so how did they even get my username, is there a list somewhere for everyone to access or could it be an inside job?