The Parade, Newlands Rd.

DaveH

Nice work ! What will they look like in 3 months, nothing wrong with the bollards but the tarmac work looks about as substantial as wrapping paper.

You are right, the tarmac work is abysmal and has ruined the entire pavement, I am sure the whole lot will need redoing within the year.

As for the bollards I think there is a bit of overkill involved here. There are 13 of them altogether on one corner.

I think they are there, as previously stated to protect the corner houses from out of control vehicles coming down Newlands hill, but they may also be there to deter illegal, unauthorised and dangerous parking which frequently takes place at this road junction.

he he

Yes Steve, I would second the nomination of this particular piece of roadwork for a "Bollards of the year" award.

You are right, the tarmac work is abysmal and has ruined the entire pavement, I am sure the whole lot will need redoing within the year.

Now here is a novel piece of work.

Why not lay some nice paving tiles on the pavement to set off a crossing point between the bollards and make the pavement look good

...and then make it look a complete mess with bad tarmac work around it!

Now here is a novel piece of work.

Why not lay some nice paving tiles on the pavement to set off a crossing point between the bollards and make the pavement look good

...and then make it look a complete mess with bad tarmac work around it!

This is common all over the city, their main aim to install the drop curbs and tactile slabs, however little thought is given to how it looks.

But come the local elections they can boast of how many such installations they have installed.

I think some local resident who lives close by and has some photos should write to the Star lol

he he

Yes Steve, I would second the nomination of this particular piece of roadwork for a "Bollards of the year" award.

Another Sheffield History Award to go with our most distant member etc

Daveh - Bollards of the Year

I think some local resident who lives close by and has some photos should write to the Star lol

A local resident who lives close by and has some photos COULD send his photos to the Star and write them a suitable covering article to go with them entitled, -

WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLARDS FROM THE CITY COUNCIL.

lol

Another Sheffield History Award to go with our most distant member etc

Daveh - Bollards of the Year

I was thinking of an award with a similar sounding name to award to the City Council Works Department on this issue. ;-)

Now I've seen it all.

Driving along this morning there were two road repair men watching the traffic

and telling you to go left a little or right a lttle while they did their work

What was it you ask, well they had this bag the size of a large bag of compost with

ready made pitch [ as we we used to call it ] inside. One chap getting a handful out and

putting it into the pot hole and the other one patting it down with the palm of his hand. :o

Is that how they repair pot holes today? No wonder they don't last.

It takes me much longer to drive home each evening because I'm just searching to

avoid all the pot holes.

I wonder what happen to the grant our council received to repair the roads????

A local resident who lives close by and has some photos COULD send his photos to the Star and write them a suitable covering article to go with them entitled, -

WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLARDS FROM THE CITY COUNCIL.

lol

Here, here. What a brilliant idea. Whoever laid that tarmac must have been drunk! The Council are paying people to undertake shabby work like this? Get it sent to the papers pdq and shame the lot of them - its a disgrace. :angry:

Now I've seen it all.

Driving along this morning there were two road repair men watching the traffic

and telling you to go left a little or right a lttle while they did their work

What was it you ask, well they had this bag the size of a large bag of compost with

ready made pitch [ as we we used to call it ] inside. One chap getting a handful out and

putting it into the pot hole and the other one patting it down with the palm of his hand. :o

Is that how they repair pot holes today? No wonder they don't last.

It takes me much longer to drive home each evening because I'm just searching to

avoid all the pot holes.

I wonder what happen to the grant our council received to repair the roads????

My grandad worked for the Council Works Dept. circa 1930-1957 and in the 30's worked on the building of many of Sheffield's main roads (eg Prince of Wales Road) with a steam roller team.

As traffic increased and lorries got bigger and heavier he could never understand why it was allowed to compact a tarmac surface with a steam roller weighing between 8 and 15 tons and then allow lorries weighing up to 30 tons to drive over it. Surely it will damage the laid and rolled surface by compacting it further he argued.

Putting tarmac down and compacting it by hand isn't really going to make a stable wear resiliant surface is it.

Here, here. What a brilliant idea. Whoever laid that tarmac must have been drunk! The Council are paying people to undertake shabby work like this? Get it sent to the papers pdq and shame the lot of them - its a disgrace. :angry:

I have a feeling that amongst our membership, or even our guests, we have a Council spy :ph34r: , a Red under the bed B) , a snake in the grass :o .

As soon as I had put those bollard and poor tarmac work pictures on here and made derisive comments about it someone has been back to the site and sprayed white markings and words on the road and pavement to indicate to a work team what improvements and additional work still needs doing on this development.

Now I may or may not have played a part in getting the extra work commissioned by posting on here and naming and shaming the Councils poor work, but the point is, the work is not over yet, it is still a "work in progress" and there is more to come.

I will keep you informed of future developments.

I must admit, driving along this morning in the dark at 6.30 am I was watching out for the known

pot holes but I never saw them . I thought how lucky I was but guess what . coming home I

realised they had been filled in.

God bless those two men with the plastic bag ,they must have filled them in.

But for how long ???

I have a feeling that amongst our membership, or even our guests, we have a Council spy :ph34r: , a Red under the bed B) , a snake in the grass :o .

As soon as I had put those bollard and poor tarmac work pictures on here and made derisive comments about it someone has been back to the site and sprayed white markings and words on the road and pavement to indicate to a work team what improvements and additional work still needs doing on this development.

Now I may or may not have played a part in getting the extra work commissioned by posting on here and naming and shaming the Councils poor work, but the point is, the work is not over yet, it is still a "work in progress" and there is more to come.

I was right then, during the week the road works have returned

I was right then, during the week the road works have returned

..and what a brilliant job they have done of it now it is finished.

All nicely tarmaced and resurfaced, it is now the best bit of pavement on the entire street, what a pity they aren't doing the whole street.

Nice job guys, thank you Mr Kier.

I was partially joking when i said this "tongue in cheek", but now I am getting paranoid :unsure:

Is there a "Council Spy" on Sheffield History? :huh:

Has someone read my posts and then decided to take action <_<

Seems a bit of a coincidence to me. :ph34r:

Hey Bayleaf, perhaps Nigel MOLEsworth is the Council MOLE B)

Then again, if Sheffield Council want to know anything at all about Sheffield then where better to look and who better to ask than us on this forum.

They could certainly get a good feel for local opinion on certain current developments they have initiated couldn't they.

Hey, council spy, if you are reading this, isn't it about time you got on with completing the Moorfoot market so that some of my mates who work in Castle Market aren't left hanging around in a poor run down building where many local shoppers prefer not to go these days so they don't sell much but are still expected to pay high business rates to your cronies down at the Town Hall.

Guest gazparkin

1970 Kellys

The Parade Newlands Rd

1 H Hughes Grocer

2 C Ibbeson Butcher

3 R Reeves Fruitier

4 Edna Rodger Ladies Hairdresser

Number 4 later became 'Karen's hairdressing' in the 80s

Number 4 later became 'Karen's hairdressing' in the 80s

Welcome to Sheffield History Gazparkin and thank you for posting this additional information.

Enjoy the site and I hope you will be making more posts in the future.

I can add a little about the shops at the top of Ridgehill Avenue as I lived on that road from the age of 4 in the 50s.

Baumgart’s had a clean and bright feeling to the grocery shop, complete with the glass lidded tins of biscuits at the front of the counter.  I always found it somewhat exotic as Mr Baumgart spoke English with his German accent.

Next door was a hardware shop where I was once sent to buy extra squash glasses, decorated with coloured frosting, for one of my birthday parties.

The wool shop also sold socks and stockings, even a few clothes.

Priestly’s newsagaent also sold a few groceries.

The parade across the road had the hairdresser, next a fruit and veg shop where you had your own shopping bag filled with your purchases, the muddy potatoes always going in first.

The butchers was next and Billingham’s grocers at the end, complete with bacon slicer and I think the butter and sugar were loosely packed too.   You could order your groceries before the weekend and he would deliver them to you.

• Like 1