The Parade, Newlands Rd.

DaveH

When I first moved onto the Intake from Arbourthorne there was a set of shops at the junction of Newlands Road (which cuts between Ridgeway Road and Mansfield Road) and Ridgehill Avenue.

This is clearly marked on our 1950's OS Maps.

There was a block of 4 shops on Newlands which were clearly marked as "The Parade" and a matching block of 4 across the opposite corner at the top of Ridgehill Avenue.

Today these shops have all been converted into private houses although their appearance betrays there former existance as shops.

These buildings can only have been built in the 1930's along with the rest of this estate but by the late 1980's all of them had gone.

Does anyone know why these shops have gone while other small clusters of shops like this still thrive, for example, on the same estate the group of about 5 shops at the bottom of Alnwick Road all seem to be doing quite well?

This is the block on Newlands Road which is actually called "The Parade"

One of these shops in the middle of the block was a Springfields Vets until about 1991 and was the last shop in this block to close. I once had to take our dog their but shortly afterwards it closed and the nearest Springfield Vets was then either Crystal Peaks or London Road.

One of the shops was called DAVIDS, - being DaveH I suppose I would remember that.

I can't remember what sort of a shop Davids was but there was a greengrocers shop, - this could have been Davids or one of the others.

Either way that leaves 1 or 2 shops that I have no idea what they were.

Can anyone help locate what each of these 4 shops was?

Who ran the shop? What did they sell?

This is the other block on Ridgehill Avenue"

One of these shops was a needlecraft shop which sold wool / knitting patterns / needles etc.

It was the last shop in this block to close as it is the only one I can actually remember.

It is difficult to say when it did eventually close as it had strange opening hours, like a couple of hours every thursday afternoon, or it may have opened for you if you knocked on the door and asked. I get the impression it was run by an elderly lady who lived in the house and run the shop as a sort of retirement hobby.

But that leaves the other 3 shops all unidentified, and I can't remember which of the 4 was the knitting shop

Again any help to identify the owners and the shops would be welcome.

The one at the top (left hand side) on Ridgehill Avenue was a general grocer, I used to go at lunch time with my ration book to buy sweets, or if very lucky a Mars bar.

The lady would cut out the ration tickets with a very large pair of scissors and I used to wonder how she managed cutting out the small tickets with such large scissors

They also had a bacon slicer behind the counter and would ask how thick you wanted the bacon cut.

The wool shop was either next door down or two doors down. The lady had one of the very early TV's and my mother and I were invited into the back to view it. It had a round screen about 12” in diameter.

I think the other row had a butchers and a ladies hairdresser.

There must be records showing which was which.

Newlands name is older than the Estate then ... John Jermyn Hutton, Farmer, Newlands, Ridgeway (1893)

I suppose the road could have been named after a previous area called Newlands.

Before the estate appeared in the 1930's all the land around here was farmland and the nearest local farm was not far away, with the farmhouse of Foxwood farm just over the brow of the hill. This could have been his farm at the time and the road and these shops would have been built right in the middle of one of his old fields.

Many farms in the area had names (like Foxwood) but were often known by the name of a long standing or well known farmer.

In Pauline Shearstones book on the changing face of Gleadless the last farmer to own Foxwood farm was called Cartledge and it was known locally as "Cartledge's Farm". In earlier times it could easily have been "Hutton's Farm"

The one at the top (left hand side) on Ridgehill Avenue was a general grocer, I used to go at lunch time with my ration book to buy sweets, or if very lucky a Mars bar.

The lady would cut out the ration tickets with a very large pair of scissors and I used to wonder how she managed cutting out the small tickets with such large scissors

They also had a bacon slicer behind the counter and would ask how thick you wanted the bacon cut.

The wool shop was either next door down or two doors down. The lady had one of the very early TV's and my mother and I were invited into the back to view it. It had a round screen about 12” in diameter.

I think the other row had a butchers and a ladies hairdresser.

There must be records showing which was which.

Thanks for the extra information here jiginc.

In my recollection the wool shop would have been the one next door to the grocers. It sounds like the same old lady running it then that was still there just before it closed.

On the other block I wonder if the butchers was the shop called Davids?

Thanks for the extra information here jiginc.

In my recollection the wool shop would have been the one next door to the grocers. It sounds like the same old lady running it then that was still there just before it closed.

On the other block I wonder if the butchers was the shop called Davids?

1970 Kellys

The Parade Newlands Rd

1 H Hughes Grocer

2 C Ibbeson Butcher

3 R Reeves Fruitier

4 Edna Rodger Ladies Hairdresser

1970 Kellys

The Parade Newlands Rd

1 H Hughes Grocer

2 C Ibbeson Butcher

3 R Reeves Fruitier

1970 Kelly's

Shops at the top of Ridgehill Avenue

132 A Baumgart Grocer

134 Roy Partridge

136 Mrs F M Porter Draper

138 Mrs Charlotte Priestley Grocer

1970 Kellys

The Parade Newlands Rd

1 H Hughes Grocer

2 C Ibbeson Butcher

3 R Reeves Fruitier

Have you got the ones for the Ridgehill Avenue block as well?

I think they are numbers 132, 134, 136 and 138

Would love to know who that little old lady in the wool shop was.

Notice there's no David in the Newlands block, but that fruitier looks interesting <_<

Have you got the ones for the Ridgehill Avenue block as well?

I think they are numbers 132, 134, 136 and 138

Would love to know who that little old lady in the wool shop was.

Notice there's no David in the Newlands block, but that fruitier looks interesting <_<

Plenty of Grocers in them day's

1970 Kelly's

Shops at the top of Ridgehill Avenue

132 A Baumgart Grocer

134 Roy Partridge

136 Mrs F M Porter Draper

138 Mrs Charlotte Priestley Grocer

Mrs F. M. Potter, Draper, must have been the wool shop, in exactly the shop we had thought

Doesn't say what Roy Partridge did

Makes you wonder if this shop had already converted to a private house by 1970, in which case it was clearly the first one to do so.

See what Stuart means about a lot of grocers, out of the 8 shops in total 3 were grocers and 1 a fruitier, making 4 shops, half of them, all selling fresh food produce!

No wonder they went out of business, 4 shops all competing for the same limited local trade!

OK so this is how we have the Newlands road Parade so far, based on 1971 Trade directories

I am not sure which one of these was Davids and in later days the vets was one of the middle ones

Any further information from other years most welcome.

And this is how we have the Ridgehill Avenue Shops so far, based on 1971 Trade directories

Having now identified the wool shop (drapers0 there is one shop which has no know trade so was probably already converted to private housing.

What was this shop when it was a shop?

Again, any further information please post here.

OK so this is how we have the Newlands road Parade so far, based on 1971 Trade directories

I am not sure which one of these was Davids and in later days the vets was one of the middle ones

Any further information from other years most welcome.

Hello, I may be wrong but I think Davids was a hairdressers.

Hello, I may be wrong but I think Davids was a hairdressers.

OK thanks for that SM524 as not only did I not know which particular shop in the Newlands parade block it was I couldn't remember what type of shop it was either.

Only remember the name because it's my name and was displayed very prominently in big letters (I think, red on white) on the shop front on that white bit between the ground and upper floor.

Guest shullie

I have to say that Priestly's didn't live at 138 in 1970/1, they sold the shop in 1968, and they had a bungalow built just behind it. The shop was owned by the Horsfield's Barbara and Brian, though it was Barbara who worked in the shop. It was the Newsagents as well as a general store. And yes the bacon machine was still there... Kelly directory is wrong- the reason I know is I was one of the Horsfield girls, and my youngest sister was born in April 1970 and we were living there by then.

The next one down was the Porter's which was run by a mother and daughter, and the flat above was let out to a family, you had to get to it by going round the back- ie. via Newlands road, and the down a small path. . The next one down was in the late 60's early 70's a general shop that sold nails, locks etc... and a bit of everything else, and then there was Baumgart's who is my memory was correct was a Polish gentleman and his wife, - I seem to remember that they were Jewish.

Guest shullie

I remember, one of the reason it may not have been changed , was that you had to pay to be in Kelly's and my dad refused!

I have to say that Priestly's didn't live at 138 in 1970/1, they sold the shop in 1968, and they had a bungalow built just behind it. The shop was owned by the Horsfield's Barbara and Brian, though it was Barbara who worked in the shop. It was the Newsagents as well as a general store. And yes the bacon machine was still there... Kelly directory is wrong- the reason I know is I was one of the Horsfield girls, and my youngest sister was born in April 1970 and we were living there by then.

The next one down was the Porter's which was run by a mother and daughter, and the flat above was let out to a family, you had to get to it by going round the back- ie. via Newlands road, and the down a small path. . The next one down was in the late 60's early 70's a general shop that sold nails, locks etc... and a bit of everything else, and then there was Baumgart's who is my memory was correct was a Polish gentleman and his wife, - I seem to remember that they were Jewish.

Many thanks for this additional information shullie.

What a load of bollards!

In the last couple of weeks this row of bollards has been erected around the corner of Newlands Road and Ridgehill Avenue on the side nearest Ridgeway Road opposite the shops.

I think the reason for this is that on several occasions vehicles coming down Newlands Road, quite a steep hill, have lost control either through poor driving or ice on the road and have taken out the front garden wall of the semi detached block of houses on the corner, on one occasion the car involved was travelling at such speed at almost took out the front bay window and front room of one of these houses.

I'm not sure that the bollards will prevent this but it certainly looks different.

What a load of bollards!

In the last couple of weeks this row of bollards has been erected around the corner of Newlands Road and Ridgehill Avenue on the side nearest Ridgeway Road opposite the shops.

I think the reason for this is that on several occasions vehicles coming down Newlands Road, quite a steep hill, have lost control either through poor driving or ice on the road and have taken out the front garden wall of the semi detached block of houses on the corner, on one occasion the car involved was travelling at such speed at almost took out the front bay window and front room of one of these houses.

I'm not sure that the bollards will prevent this but it certainly looks different.

Yes it looks different alright.

Whoever fitted these bollards made a right mess of the pavement with a very cheap and poorly done patch up job with a minimal amount of badly laid and uncompressed tarmac.

Yes it looks different alright.

Whoever fitted these bollards made a right mess of the pavement with a very cheap and poorly done patch up job with a minimal amount of badly laid and uncompressed tarmac.

That's what they do today. Hasn't anyone got any pride in their work anymore.

Also anything for the cheapest.

That's what they do today. Hasn't anyone got any pride in their work anymore.

Also anything for the cheapest.

It doesn't look very nice and it isn't nice to walk on either.

Nice work ! What will they look like in 3 months, nothing wrong with the bollards but the tarmac work looks about as substantial as wrapping paper.