The Crown, Harleston St/Forncett St

tdh-syorks

I was just driving down Carlisle Street towards home and as i glanced up Harleston Street i noticed that the Crown looked open as the boards had been removed from the windows.

As i used to call in for the odd pint i thought i would do so again and as i drove nearer i noticed they have had a new sign put on.

Unfortunately it is no longer a public house and is now a builders office. the most striking thing tho is that it looks as though they are restoring the building to its former glory, new signs all round which say The Crown with small print underneath stating the builders offices and also new frosted windows saying smoke and tap, with a the opening times board stating the new occupiers telephone number and contact details.

It looks as though some money has been spent to make it look like a decent pub,

Question: How many old pubs that have turned to offices try to keep the traditional theme pub look??

i can think of only one more.

Question: How many old pubs that have turned to offices try to keep the traditional theme pub look??

You can therefore think of two more than me !

Better this than knocking everything down and building faceless boxes.

exactly, its a real shame when their appearance changes, the other one i can think of is the New Inn, 211 Carbrook Street

exactly, its a real shame when their appearance changes, the other one i can think of is the New Inn, 211 Carbrook Street

Last time I passed the Old Bowling Green at Grimesthorpe was undergoing an extensive refurbishment so much so you'd never have known it had been a pub!

thats a real shame, i spent many evenings in there and it was once a good pub. i stick to the Railway at brightside now and the Sheffield arms. which could soon be going the same way

thats a real shame, i spent many evenings in there and it was once a good pub. i stick to the Railway at brightside now and the Sheffield arms. which could soon be going the same way

Sorry here's a photo

I was just driving down Carlisle Street towards home and as i glanced up Harleston Street i noticed that the Crown looked open as the boards had been removed from the windows.

As i used to call in for the odd pint i thought i would do so again and as i drove nearer i noticed they have had a new sign put on.

Unfortunately it is no longer a public house and is now a builders office. the most striking thing tho is that it looks as though they are restoring the building to its former glory, new signs all round which say The Crown with small print underneath stating the builders offices and also new frosted windows saying smoke and tap, with a the opening times board stating the new occupiers telephone number and contact details.

It looks as though some money has been spent to make it look like a decent pub,

There are quite a few pubs actually.

The Athol in town.

The Durham Ox,The Viaduct in The Wicker. The Station in the Wicker, The Griffin in Ecclesfield,The White Bear in Ecclesfield,The Bulls Head, Dunfields, The White Hart Worksop Road, The BlueBell, Worksop Road to name but a few.

I am not sure and would welcome any confirmation right or wrong, but I think my late uncle started his career as a licencee in this pub, probably around the late nineteen forties,early nineteen fifties, his name was Albert Edward Hill, and he worked his way up the ladder as it were and finished up at the Beauchief Hotel when it was an independent pub.

There are quite a few pubs actually.

The Athol in town.

The Durham Ox,The Viaduct in The Wicker. The Station in the Wicker, The Griffin in Ecclesfield,The White Bear in Ecclesfield,The Bulls Head, Dunfields, The White Hart Worksop Road, The BlueBell, Worksop Road to name but a few.

Not forgetting the Arundel in Ecclesfield now an Indian Restaurant!