Sagger-Maker's Bottom-Knocker

RichardB

I know this one...how sad.

A sagar is a mold of some sort. to make sure that the stuff in the mold had set properly the sagar maker would employ a person to enter the kiln and knock on the bottom of the sagar. If there was a dull noise the contence of the mold was still wet but if it made a hollow noise it was ready. (I might have made that last bit up, mind)

Anyhoo the bloke that the sagar maker employed to knock the bottom of his sagars ended up with the impressive title,Sagar makers bottom knocker.

Heres your next one then......

What is a Ulnager.

No googleing mind!!

I know this one...how sad.

A sagar is a mold of some sort. to make sure that the stuff in the mold had set properly the sagar maker would employ a person to enter the kiln and knock on the bottom of the sagar. If there was a dull noise the contence of the mold was still wet but if it made a hollow noise it was ready. (I might have made that last bit up, mind)

Anyhoo the bloke that the sagar maker employed to knock the bottom of his sagars ended up with the impressive title,Sagar makers bottom knocker.

What is a Ulnager.

No googleing mind!!

Cor! this is like being on Call My Bluff ;)

What is a Ulnager.

No googleing mind!!

Sounds like a nasal-expulsion-noise, YUK

Damn good question, I know what I know, and I don't know that (will Google tomorrow obviously, but you have me beat there)

Damn good question, I know what I know, and I don't know that (will Google tomorrow obviously, but you have me beat there)

And defeated, I found it via Google

Ulnager - examined the quality of woollen goods to be sold

Guest codeyes

I knew that it had something to do with Spinning and Weaving...........It's a person that removes the bobbins from the spinning thingies.

Slubber Doffer Someone who removed the bobbins from the spindles in a mill.

And a

Schrimpschonger

did what please ? Did they perhaps ******* shrimps whilst having a lisp ? :rolleyes:

Guest codeyes

Ahhhh...I met one of those out in Mombasa in the 70's and I still have the end product......someone who carves wood or ivory??

An artisan who carves in bone, ivory, or wood. Indeed, and well remembered

and another ...

Nedder or Nedeller

Sagger-Maker's Bottom-Knocker; quite easy this one, but who can provide the best description ?

I remember very well that this was the job of someone who appeared on 'What's My Line' in the 1950's. Of course the panel could not guess what it was, but it became a household name. Even Gilbert Harding and Isobel Barnett could not get that one. Strange the things we remember.

Good Man, Well done, Excellent work etc now you're barred, because you have the same website as me :rolleyes: