1940's Street Guide

RichardB

Sheffield Street Guide. Revised Edition. Published by Sir W C Leng &Co (The Sheffield Telegraph).

Sheffield Street Guide also list of Public Buildings and Institutions, Parks, Tram and Motor ‘Bus Routes, Motor Parking Places and other Useful Information..

Unlike modern Street Guides, which are in map format, this follows a narrative style. E.g; Balmoral Road, 17 Beighton Road to 58a Station Road, Woodhouse.

The Guide includes many interesting facts and indications of a time gone by Almshouses, Public Baths & Washhouses. Includes a description of each of the Districts of Sheffield, some which were then still villages.

Contains numerous adverts which give an indication of the time and costs in Sheffield at the time. E.g; Davy's Cafe, Sheffields Premier Caf-Restaurant). The best 1/6 Luncheons and 1/- Teas or Evening Meals in Sheffield,. Trafalgar Razor Blades 1d,. The Sheffield Gas Company.

There is no date in the Guide but it belonged to my Grandmother (I'm nearly 70) and I believe to have been purchased in the 1940s.
================
£2.50, 1 bid, 1 day (I'm unlikely to bid - it sucks to be broke !)

1940's Guide

OK, cost me a fiver but this time I've landed it.

Any intelligent questions welcomed as to the data contained in it so we can pindown the date more precisely.

Stupid questions also welcomed he he

I've got one of these somewhere it belonged to my Mum and Dad and I think it was from 1935 . It's a bit tatty with the front and back cover missing but the adverts are great I will have to dig it out.

Love to see that Syl. Mine is not 1935, can't say what year it is but it's not 1935.

I've got one of these somewhere it belonged to my Mum and Dad and I think it was from 1935 . It's a bit tatty with the front and back cover missing but the adverts are great I will have to dig it out.

I've just found it out I know my Mum said that they got it when they moved into their house and that was in 1935. I can't find a date on it but on an add for Sheffield and Ecclesall co-op it does say Dividend for half year ending January 1930 1/8 in the £. It also says on another page J.Fern begs to inform his friends that he has taken the Robin Hood Hotel Duke street Park. I don't know if that will help with a date.

I think it must have been given out by the Electricity Co. as on each page at the top and bottom there is an add for electric ie Electric cooking is clean and economical .... Use electric light it is always handy.

Sounds fascinating Syl, pity you can't scan it so we can all enjoy it.

Let's see if the Pub experts can sort out the Robin Hood Hotel clue.

I'ts like a Conan Doyle mystery.

From Sheffield History Pubs-Keepers list

Robin Hood 86 Duke Street, Park, S2
Open 1822
Closed 1950

1931 to 1933 Jn Fearn

Edit:

So it sounds like 1931 then, as he is announcing that he has taken on the pub.

Sounds fascinating Syl, pity you can't scan it so we can all enjoy it.

Let's see if the Pub experts can sort out the Robin Hood Hotel clue.

I'ts like a Conan Doyle mystery.

I will have a go at scanning it when I get the time . Vox I think you are right about it being 1931 as the add about the S&E dividend is for the half year ending 1930. It has quite a few pages missing but is still very interesting as I am sure Richard B will agree with his copy.

Does yours include the City Hall ? Mine does ... so ... conclusions please ...

I will have a go at scanning it when I get the time . Vox I think you are right about it being 1931 as the add about the S&E dividend is for the half year ending 1930. It has quite a few pages missing but is still very interesting as I am sure Richard B will agree with his copy.

Mine cost 4d originally.

I think it must have been given out by the Electricity Co. as on each page at the top and bottom there is an add for electric ie Electric cooking is clean and economical .... Use electric light it is always handy.

Does yours include the City Hall ? Mine does ... so ... conclusions please ...

No not got The City Hall in it. I have found for Greg house road and crescent it says in course of construction corporation Siregreen estate. Has yours got Richmond hill road in it ? that's where mum and dad bought their house built new in 1935 but it's not in this copy. No price on this one but the first 39 and obviously the last 39 pages are missing mine starts at Arnside road 665 Abbeydale road.

Richmond Hill Road, Hastilar Road South to Stradbroke Road, Handsworth, 9.

That one ? Yup it's in there ...

No not got The City Hall in it. I have found for Greg house road and crescent it says in course of construction corporation Siregreen estate. Has yours got Richmond hill road in it ? that's where mum and dad bought their house built new in 1935 but it's not in this copy. No price on this one but the first 39 and obviously the last 39 pages are missing mine starts at Arnside road 665 Abbeydale road.

Given post number 1 I'm still awaiting a blindingly obvious question ...

OK, cost me a fiver but this time I've landed it.

Any intelligent questions welcomed as to the data contained in it so we can pindown the date more precisely.

Stupid questions also welcomed he he

Mine is full of headings advertising Suggs. Every page except front, back and other full page adverts.

When was the population of Sheffield 518,200 ?

I would think post war as pre war there were around 552 ,000 -566,000 depending on which site you look on. Baby boom started in 1948 so there would be more again. Does it say anything about buildings that were in the blitz like the Marples?

Yes, both are.

Thornborough & Walden Road, cast iron street drain covers (man hole covers) manufactured 1935

Richdale's makes it after 1936 plus there is still the blindingly obvious question ...

Thornborough & Walden Road, cast iron street drain covers (man hole covers) manufactured 1935

What one question would you ask to give a 1940's date ? :rolleyes: Could be 1939 ... big hint.

How do you know it's 1940s ?

What one question would you ask to give a 1940's date ? :rolleyes: Could be 1939 ... big hint.

Well that's why I wondered about the blitz and missing streets and houses. I can't imagine it being printed during the war either. Does it mention ration books or anything. I can remember when I used to have little coupons to get my sweets. In my book it advertises Dixons mint cubelets 6d for 4oz now that wouldn't be in a 1940s book.