Railway/Wardsend cemetery

Lyn 1

Is the railway in Wardsend cemetery still in use at all? Someone told me that there is a train that runs at some point during the night over the Five Arches bridge. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Lyn

Is the railway in Wardsend cemetery still in use at all? Someone told me that there is a train that runs at some point during the night over the Five Arches bridge. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Lyn

Yes there is the occasional train that runs through to the Corus Steelworks at Stocksbridge.

A bit of a poor end to what was once the most modern LNER/BR electrified main line. At least its still there though.

Thanks

Lyn

There is one scheduled train in each direction each weekday. It is a freight train from Aldwarke to Deepcar, carrying scrap steel for Stocksbridge Works. At Deepcar a Stocksbridge Works loco takes over for the rest of the journey to the works.

The most recent times I have are:

18:47 Aldwarke - 19:33 Stocksbridge

21:13 Stocksbridge - 22:05 Aldwarke

from April 2009. These could have changed since then. As a short distance freight it is likely to run early or late or not at all depending on requirements.

Other trains run as required: in autumn there is a daily rail head treatment train, which is meant to counter the problem of "leaves on the line" and there may still be occasional oil trains to Stocksbridge Works, but I am not certain whether these still run.

We used to hear them through the night, usually just after midnight then again

about 2am. We still hear the odd one but not as often as we used to.

My office overlooks Bridgehouses and the latter part of the Wicker Arches. I've seen trains go up maybe a couple of times per week and a leaf blower at least twice per week. The line is now single all the way to Deepcar. The station building at Deepcar is now a private home and gardens back onto the platform at Oughtibridge station. Bit of a shame since trains used to travel the line approx every 10 minutes.