Woodhead Tunnel

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

Not sure where this post belongs as it's more mysterious that spooky, but here goes.

In 1975, returning from a meeting in Manchester, I drove back to Sheffield on the Woodhead Road. From Glossop onwards I had driven behind an Army lorry loaded with soldiers, but being a nice a sunny day and in no rush I just followed behind. Not far from the Woodhead Tunnel bend, I decided to light a cigarette but dropped my lighter down between the seats. (why does that always happen?) It was just after the final left turn off (I think it goes down towards Holmfirth, not sure) that I stopped to retrieve it. Being close-ish to a bend I did this as quickly as possible. Took no more than 30 seconds and I drove on. The Army truck, which should have been easily caught up, had simply disappeared.

I put my foot down but never saw it again. The only place it could have turned off was on the Sheffield side of the bend at the tunnel itself, but no sign of it here either.

Later, I got to wondering if the tunnel was being used as some sort of emergency shelter and guarded by troops. Just a thought, but no proof. It would make a pretty good bomb shelter though wouldn't it? The UK's answer to Cheyenne mountain, Colorado maybe?

Living at grenoside there has always been rumours about there been bunkers for house of parliments & other important people but seems a bit far fetched to me cos weve covered just about every inch of them woods on bikes,motor bikes,foot etc & never seen anything but then again there is a lot of private land we didnt stay long on because normally get chased off with farmers & there dogs but would be very very interested to find out if anyone knows more on this.

Guest tsavo

I only know of the munitions bunkers from WW2 which are up near the radio masts. I know the Woodhead Tunnel was used by the National Grid to bring power lines below ground but nothing else. Sorry. I think there may be one in Sheffield but have never seen it.

I only know of the munitions bunkers from WW2 which are up near the radio masts. I know the Woodhead Tunnel was used by the National Grid to bring power lines below ground but nothing else. Sorry. I think there may be one in Sheffield but have never seen it.

Around ten years ago, myself and friends were returning home from Manchester. It was after midnight. On this same stretch of road we were followed by a very bright orange light. Suddenly without any warning it just disappeared. People I have told have just laughed at me. The only consolation I have is that others were in the car and saw it too.