A Tale of Two Cemeteries.

hilldweller

If you drive along the road that leads from Stannington village towards Hollow Meadows/Moscar for about two and a half miles, you will see on the right-hand side, close by a house called Crawshaw Lodge a wooded copse on the Rod Moor hill.

Within this copse, which is surrounded by a stone wall, is an ancient cemetery.

I discovered this many years ago in my push-biking years and at the time I was told by an old gentleman walking by, that it was the Bowcroft Cemetery.

I have now learnt that the Bowcroft Cemetery is in fact a different cemetery situated much closer to Stannington on the Rivelin Valley side of the road.

The cemetery by Crawshaw Lodge/Rod Moor is very similar in character to the Bowshaw one but rather bigger.

I think that the Bowcroft Cemetery is mainly occupied by the quaker Shaw family. Perhaps the Society of Friends were not so friendly and different families had their own final resting places.

Interestingly the cemetery at Rod Moor is marked on the 1:25000 OS map but Bowcroft isn't.

Can anyone shed any light on the Rod Moor Cemetery which is a very spooky place even in broad daylight.

HD

• Like 1

The cemetery by Crawshaw Lodge/Rod Moor is very similar in character to the Bowshaw one but rather bigger.

I think that the Bowshaw Cemetery is mainly occupied by the quaker Shaw family. Perhaps the Society of Friends were not so friendly and different families had their own final resting places.

Interestingly the cemetery at Rod Moor is marked on the 1:25000 OS map but Bowcroft isn't.

Can anyone shed any light on the Rod Moor Cemetery which is a very spooky place even in broad daylight.

HD

Rod Moor cemetery now belongs to the owners of Crawshaw lodge.

The key is available from them.

There's a trig point there (S2299)

Rod Moor cemetery now belongs to the owners of Crawshaw lodge.

The key is available from them.

There's a trig point there (S2299)

Do you have any idea of what sort of cemetery it is.

Is it associated with the Quakers, do you know ?

When it's a warm, bright summer's day I might arm myself with a clove of garlic and go and ask at the lodge.

HD

That's as much as I know HD

It was mentioned on this Trig Point website

You would expect that the present owners will know something.

"Not easily accessible but quite visible upon nearing. I was looking for a place to hop over the fence from Rod Side. Unfortunately my parking had partly blocked the entrance for the returning owner of Crawhaw Lodge so I dashed back to apologise. In the resulting conversation I explained the purpose of my visit and was immediately invited to go up through the cemetery and hop over the wall near the mausoleum. I was given the key to the cemetery [which now belongs to the house and is locked due to vandalism] and did as suggested. Once over the wall the trig point is easy to see and visit. Some lovely views across the Rivlin Valley. Pillar in good condition except that the plug is missing."

I have now found an extensive explanation of the Rod Moor Cemetery in a book written by Neville Ballin titled " A Sheffield Lucky Bag".

It is according to the book a private Jewish Cemetery established by the Bright family in around 1831. The bodies were re-interred years ago.

Horatio Bright, the Sheffield industrialist and "character", was not buried there but in a mausoleum he had built for his family at Moscar Top.

HD

I have just come across this photo' of Crawshaw Lodge and after looking at the map from the beginning of the 20th century that must be the cemetery referred to by hilldweller  (marked Jews' Burial Ground) on the right of the picture. I have taken a wide view of the map to show Crawshaw Head which I think must be the place where THYLACINE stayed in this post. -- https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/9016-crawshaw-head-house/?tab=comments#comment-67631

crawshaw_lodge.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303357051997?ul_noapp=true

crawshaw.png

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=53.3929&lon=-1.6161&layers=168&b=1

Here's an account of the "dispute" between Horatio Bright and T.B.Matthews (of Turton Brothers and Matthews, steel makers), mentioned on the Chris Hobbs website.  It also includes the text of the postcard with "gross language" that Bright sent. Warning: includes lots of sticking tongues out, blowing raspberries and thumbing noses.

1713135098_HoratioBrightSummoned1878.thumb.png.a8d284f70395902d9ba85df9e7886f44.png