The Denial Family Steel Manufacturers

David Hamer

Hello,

Firstly, I hope Im sending this to the correct section, but family research seemed the best fit.

I'm trying to find information and preferably photos relating to several of my ancestors, and thought this might be a great place to ask. The information I have is that they were called;

Abraham Denial

Alexander Joseph Denial

John Denial

Their names are often abbreviated in trade directories, eg jsph, bros etc

I know that in 1852 Alexander Joseph Denial and his brothers Abraham & John were listed in the White's General directory as "Denial Brothers, (Alexander, Joseph, Abraham, & John,) steel & file manufacturers, & merchants, Foundling Works, 217 Rockingham street; house: Pye bank"

I have also found an apprenticship list which lists Abraham Denial being the apprentice of a Matt (Matthew) Dodsworth knifemaker from 1796-1803.

Finally I have the following also listed in a trade dircetory;

Denial Alex. Jph. and John. steel mnfrs.; h Cemetery rd; Abraham; h Rock st Denial Bros, steel mfrs, 208 Rockingham st

Basically, does anyone know if any photos may exist of these buildings at the time, or if any of the names above ring a bell. Ideally I'd love to track photos down, or even be able to locate one of the pen knives which Abraham Denial may have manufactured during his apprenticship.

Anyway, I've taken enough space up here, any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

I have also found an apprenticeship list which lists Abraham Denial being the apprentice of a Matt (Matthew) Dodsworth knifemaker from 1796-1803.

This Abraham Denial may be their Father (or not); "your" Abraham wasn't born until 1830.

This Abraham Denial may be their Father (or not); "your" Abraham wasn't born until 1830.

Thanks for your reply. Yes the two Abrahams are father and son.

Martha, 55 Independant means

Joseph, 25 Steel refiner

Abraham, 20 Clerk

Margaret, 20

Elisabeth, 15

Henry, 15

John, 15

Martha, 10

Susanna, 10

(All ages subject to rounding in 1841)

St. Philips Road

Do you know all this ready ? Belated Welcome to the Site by the way - Enjoy.

Martha, 55 Independant means

Joseph, 25 Steel refiner

Abraham, 20 Clerk

Margaret, 20

Elisabeth, 15

Henry, 15

John, 15

Martha, 10

Susanna, 10

(All ages subject to rounding in 1841)

St. Philips Road

Do you know all this ready ? Belated Welcome to the Site by the way - Enjoy.

Thank you for taking the time to reply Richard and thank you for the welcome!

Yes I have all their census records, it really photographs of the streets/works and information which may exist about their work I am looking for.

Regards

David.

Thank you for taking the time to reply Richard and thank you for the welcome!

Yes I have all their census records, it really photographs of the streets/works and information which may exist about their work I am looking for.

Regards

David.

My grandkids are Denials and a cousin of their dad passed me a full family tree and a few photocopied photo's of the family a few years ago.

You're welcome to copies of it

Phil

On 07/08/2010 at 19:19, phil said:

My grandkids are Denials and a cousin of their dad passed me a full family tree and a few photocopied photo's of the family a few years ago.

You're welcome to copies of it

Phil

Hi Phil, are you still around? I've only just now seen your reply to my post.