sportsmans inn ,walkley bank road

Guest 3 bedbugs

Guest 3 bedbugs

Hi

Just discovered this amazing site and what a mine of information.

I`m researching my family history and have discovered that my grt grt grandfather was the landlord of the sportsmans inn at walkley bank from 1852-1881 ,his name was samuel hawson but there was a spelling mistake on the records for 1852-1861 his surname is spelt howson.

I`m hoping someone has some more info either on samuel or the pub in question ,pictures would be terrific but ant snippet you can supply me with will be much appreciated.

Hi

I`m researching my family history and have discovered that my grt grt grandfather was the landlord of the sportsmans inn at walkley bank from 1852-1881 ,his name was samuel hawson but there was a spelling mistake on the records for 1852-1861 his surname is spelt howson.

I`m hoping someone has some more info either on samuel or the pub in question ,pictures would be terrific but ant snippet you can supply me with will be much appreciated.

Moved from Introductions.

Hi

Samuel HAWSON Vict. Sportsman PH 100 Walkley Bank Road Kelly's 1893

There a bit longer than we originally though.

Guest bigjob

Quite recently (compared to your Great Grt Grandfarther's tenancy) i remember one Sat lunch time around 72 ?, i had a Sat,job a the garage around the corner, there was an almighty "explosion", we ran down and the Sportsman was'nt visble for dust,(the whole road was'nt actually) it turned out that a gas leak in the cellars had been ignited by the pump switch gear, it blew the complete Back wall out off the pub, and was shut for month's being rebuilt. My funnist memory was a local "drinker" Jimmy Rose, coming out of the pub doorway (bear in mind there was no floor left in the bar) with his hand over his pint , covered in dust, and said "that went with a %^$%* Bang Dint It"

Samuel HAWSON Vict. Sportsman PH 100 Walkley Bank Road Kelly's 1893

There a bit longer than we originally though.

Hi

My grt grandfather (William Ashforth Drabble) was born in Sheffield in 1869. He crossed the Pennines and moved to Blackpool in the 1880s. His father (Charles Drabble) was a furnace labourer living in Peacroft in 1871. The 1901 census shows him living at 100 Walkey Bank Road and described as a licensed victualler (pub) - own account (ie self-employed?). The Directory section of your wonderful website listed him as Victualler, Sportsman. I guess he must have been the landlord of the Sportsman. It surprises me that there was this degree of social mobility in that era. Presumably he would have leased rather than owned the pub?

My wife's grandparents (on her mother's side) came from Sheffield, and I'm looking forward to having a good look round your website to see what I can find. It really is a very impressive tool.

Many thanks

I'm looking forward to having a good look round your website to see what I can find. It really is a very impressive tool.

Many thanks

Welcome to SH, gp1777,

if you have any problems finding what you are looking for,

don't hesitate to post any of your questions up.

SH link to Sportsman, Walkley Bank Road

Hi

My grt grandfather (William Ashforth Drabble) was born in Sheffield in 1869. He crossed the Pennines and moved to Blackpool in the 1880s. His father (Charles Drabble) was a furnace labourer living in Peacroft in 1871. The 1901 census shows him living at 100 Walkey Bank Road and described as a licensed victualler (pub) - own account (ie self-employed?). The Directory section of your wonderful website listed him as Victualler, Sportsman. I guess he must have been the landlord of the Sportsman. It surprises me that there was this degree of social mobility in that era. Presumably he would have leased rather than owned the pub?

My wife's grandparents (on her mother's side) came from Sheffield, and I'm looking forward to having a good look round your website to see what I can find. It really is a very impressive tool.

Many thanks

Welcome to the Site gpl777, any really, really difficult old Pubs questions ... please address them to Ukelele Lady, Thanks he he