Womens Circle

RichardB

No idea if this was local or national, I'll leave it to you to tell me. Mother was a Member/Subscriber.

I remember that because I was a member too in my early 20s

It was local and part of the Sheffield Star which had a section just for its female reader members.

It was all free , you had a number and a card with which you could get discounts on books

and Star trips and holidays. My friend was one of their representatives who went to the houses

of anyone who booked a " party. " At these parties there would be prizes for the winners of quizies.

A general chat, cup of tea and a biscuit but the whole point of this was to get you to subscribe to a

weekly delivery of the Star.

I must admit they had some good nights out on coaches to theartres etc and also day trips.

I can't remember when it folded up though.

I was also a member of this in my early 20s it was a good way to get out at night while OH baby sat. I can't remember when it folded either but think that I might still have my membership card. They later had a Star readers club and I know that I have still got my card for that and that is a plastic one the Women's Circle was a white cardboard one with dark blue writing on.