Robert Neill & Co

Sheffield History

ROBERT NEILL & CO

This looks like it's about to be demolished - I'm assuming that this is an old factory or steelworks ?

Does anyone know anything about the place or worked there ?

Dunno, had mant a beer next door in The Queens, has that been knocked down yet ? Vernan Hookway and his wife ran the place in the 1970's, proper old Landlord; oh, and Maudie and Her Organ, he took some stick over that poster in the window :rolleyes:

Only bettered by "Big Banana Bill" performing at a pub, was it The Cuthbert ? Infirmary Road, couldn't stop laughing for weeks !

Guest tsavo

ROBERT NEILL & CO

This looks like it's about to be demolished - I'm assuming that this is an old factory or steelworks ?

Does anyone know anything about the place or worked there ?

Electrical factors I think.

Electrical factors I think.

Yes, definately electrical wholesalers, up until the early nineties i think. The company moved to Woodbourne Road from Scotland Street.

Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 14.25.03.jpg

22nd December 2020 and it's still there!

Anyone able to tell us anything about Robert Neill & Co and the work that went off there?

They were electrical suppliers. When I started work for the council street lighting department in 1973, we used to get visits from all sorts of reps. flogging their lighting wares, Philips, Crompton Parkinson, Abacus etc. One such was Derek Markham from Robert Neill, a really nice chap who always had a chat with the new technician (read "tea boy" - me). I remember going into the offices on Scotland Street to deliver an order to the reception, but never got any further in.  As an aside, the councils main printing department was a bit further along the same road, a bit nearer West Bar, and I used to collect A0 sized maps that I had traced and sent for printing on linen!

Nigel L