Red Kidney Beans

RichardB

There was a food scare in the late 70's or early 80's regarding Kidney beans, anyone remember when ? It was before I left Sheffield (in 1981).

Was reminded of it when the Tiny Wife wouldn't even look at a Chilli muttering on about Kidney Beans - I did point out it was probably sorted since it was 30 years ago (or thereabouts).

The only thing that springs to mind is that my wife has a fit if I dont drain, strain and rinse them before chucking them in a chilly. She says the thick liquid in the tin is poisonous. Don't know where that idea comes from and if it's a fact or not.

I never take any notice if she's not there, just roughly empty away the liquid.

Besides that, if we die because of it, we can always sue them for poisoning us. lol

The only thing that springs to mind is that my wife has a fit if I dont drain, strain and rinse them before chucking them in a chilly. She says the thick liquid in the tin is poisonous. Don't know where that idea comes from and if it's a fact or not.

Besides that, if we die because of it, we can always sue them for poisoning us. lol

Most of us don`t take any notice when they are not there, but annoyingIy 99% of the time they are right. W/E.

There was a food scare in the late 70's or early 80's regarding Kidney beans, anyone remember when ? It was before I left Sheffield (in 1981).

Was reminded of it when the Tiny Wife wouldn't even look at a Chilli muttering on about Kidney Beans - I did point out it was probably sorted since it was 30 years ago (or thereabouts).

As the title indicates RED Kidney beans is this anything to do with a red food colouring which is now banned?

Fairly recently (this century, so last 10 years) the food dye SUDAN III has been shown to be carcinogenic and has been removed from most foods, - although it is still legal in some countries where Dyed food (mainly curries) are imported from.

I am fairly sure there was another batch of chemicals, all with E-numbers as approved food additives which were removed around the time stated in the quoted post.

Could the scare have been to do with one of these.

Don't know if your wife is right or wrong on the "poisonous beans" issue vox.

However I seem to remember being told many years ago, and I don't know if this is true either, that raw beans contain toxins which are destroyed by boiling / cooking.

If so the moral would be not to eat raw beans.

But having said that even frozen beans have to be "blanched" before freezing and this involves boiling them anyway.

Don't worry too much though, I like beans, have eaten loads and have never been poisoned by them lol

Are Red Kidney Beans Toxic?

Red kidney beans are indeed toxic �" but only to a certain degree. Uncooked kidney beans contain a high concentration of phytohaemagglutnin, also known as kidney bean lectin. Phytohaemagglutnin causes the red blood cells to clump together, which can be extremely dangerous.

The hemagglutinating unit (or HAU,) is the measurement of kidney bean lectin. In uncooked red kidney beans the HAU levels can be upwards of 70,000. Meanwhile, in fully cooked red kidney beans, the HAU levels are between 200 and 400.

Generally, the toxicity of red kidney beans is fairly harmless, but extremely unpleasant. Poisoning from red kidney beans is usually marked by nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. In some cases, mild to severe abdominal pain can occur. Fortunately, symptoms generally only last a few hours before the digestive system rids the body of the toxins.

SOURCE - Full article

Are Red Kidney Beans Toxic?

Red kidney beans are indeed toxic �" but only to a certain degree. Uncooked kidney beans contain a high concentration of phytohaemagglutnin, also known as kidney bean lectin. Phytohaemagglutnin causes the red blood cells to clump together, which can be extremely dangerous.

The hemagglutinating unit (or HAU,) is the measurement of kidney bean lectin. In uncooked red kidney beans the HAU levels can be upwards of 70,000. Meanwhile, in fully cooked red kidney beans, the HAU levels are between 200 and 400.

Generally, the toxicity of red kidney beans is fairly harmless, but extremely unpleasant. Poisoning from red kidney beans is usually marked by nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. In some cases, mild to severe abdominal pain can occur. Fortunately, symptoms generally only last a few hours before the digestive system rids the body of the toxins.

SOURCE - Full article

Brilliant reply vox

Firstly it bears out and confirms what I had been told about not eating raw beans, only cooked ones.

Secondly the chemical name phytohaemagglutnin, containing the word haem, implying the element iron and blood (as in Haemoglobin) is frequently used to describe substances which are rich in iron (an essential mineral nutrient) and which are blood red in colour.

Perhaps it is this substance which gives red kidney beans their characteristic colour <_<

I always used to buy dried kidney beans and soak them over night then boil them rapidly for 20 minutes to kill off the toxins. Now however I just buy a tin but still rinse them well before using because I don't like the look of that thick gunk in the tin. I don't think it would be poisonous though as the beans have been cooked prior to tinning.

So having solved the problem of the toxicity of red kidney beans and that you shouldn't eat them raw (probably true of all beans, not just red kidney beans)

The original question asked for a date concerning a "health scare" to do with the toxicity of these beans.

Anyone got any ideas on that one?