Sheffield co-op's

Only me

Maybe I'm having a senior blonde moment, but I can see no mention of the B & C at Sheffield Lane Top, where the tram terminus was, as seen here. I don't suppose I would have ever noticed if there had not been a tram in the photo :)

And how it looks today (or at least when the Google Streetview car passed:

(Image from Google Streetview)

The Sheffield Lane Top branch was a clothing and white goods store. The Firth Park branch was the grocery.

Maybe I'm having a senior blonde moment, but I can see no mention of the B & C at Sheffield Lane Top, where the tram terminus was, as seen here. I don't suppose I would have ever noticed if there had not been a tram in the photo :)

And how it looks today (or at least when the Google Streetview car passed:

(Image from Google Streetview)

Now sold to McCalls.

The Sommerfield at White Lane Gleadless was the old Azena dance hall (the one where the Beatles played in 1963)

So have the Co-Op taken over Sommerfields?

Yes, early last year, now in the process of re-branding all stores

Yes, early last year, now in the process of re-branding all stores

R-opened the one on Ecclesall Rd recently, much improved, except for the piped radio!

I have a 1942 Kelly's directory which contains long lists of branch addresses for the B & C (known to employees as Big & Clumsy), & Sheffield & Ecclesall (known as Slow & Easy).

I can post the lists on here if anyone thinks it would be worthwhile.

HD

I have a 1942 Kelly's directory which contains long lists of branch addresses for the B & C (known to employees as Big & Clumsy), & Sheffield & Ecclesall (known as Slow & Easy).

I can post the lists on here if anyone thinks it would be worthwhile.

HD

Yes HD post your list

Yes HD post your list

Listings for Sheffield Co-op branches taken from Kelly's Directory for !942.

Brightside & Carbrook branches.

34 Carbrook Street Attercliffe, 25, 27 & 38 Fife Street Wincobank, 125/133 Carlisle Road Grimesthorpe, 636 Staniforth Road Attercliffe, 5/13 Eban Street Brightside, 20,24 & 28 Cravens Road Darnell, 47 Lyons Street, 148/154 Alfred Road Brightside, 75/79 Nottingham Street, 300/304 Mansfield Road Intake, 7 Hendon Street & 23 Hall Road Handsworth, 18/22 Boyland Street Neepsend, 189/195 Attercliffe Common, 14/24 Owler Lane Pitsmoor, 23/37 Taplin Road Hillsborough, 1/3 Gower Street, 62/66 High street Ecclesfield, 204/210 Sheffield road Tinsley, 241/245 Coleridge Road Attercliffe, 45 & 51 Penistone Road North Wadsley Bridge, 65 Ranskill Road Tinsley Park, 67 Cricket Inn Road Park, 141/147 Bellhouse Road Shiregreen, 370 Staniforth Road, 40/42 Fowler Street, 135/137 Scott Road Pitsmoor, 289/293 Main Road Darnell, Norfolk Hill Grenoside, 298 Middlewood Road Hillsborough, 164/166 Infirmary Road, Ribston Road, Norborough Road Tinsley, Rural Lane Wadsley Village, Rothay Road, Hucklow Road Firth Park, 3 Fretson Road Manor Estate, Dykes Hall Road Hillsborough, 40/42 Southey Ave Southey, Wisewood Road Wisewood, Southey Green Road, 2/6 Nethershire Lane Shiregreen, 750 City Road Park, 304/308 Prince Of Wales Road, 31 Paper Mill Road Ecclesfield, 449 Richmond Handsworth, Barnsley Road, 43 Southend Road, Kirkbridge Road, 646 Stannington Road, 8/10 Ridgeway Road, 35/37Longley Avenue West, 7 Teynham Road, 2/4 Wordsworth Drive, Lindsay Avenue, 273/275 Buchanan Road, 18/20 Page Hall Road, 2/8 Grimesthorpe Road, 641/3 & 649 Attercliffe Road, 688/692 Attercliffe Road, 3/15 Attercliffe Common, 76 Spital Hill, 60/70 Middlewood Road, 39 Castle Hill Market, 261 Ellesmere Road, 42/56 Fairleigh Manor Estate, 180 Firth Park Road, 96/100 Middlewood Road, Townhead Street S1, Stables, Warehouses, Coal & Dairy Broughton Lane, Removals & Garage Coleridge Road.

City Stores Exchange Street (destroyed Dec 1940) Registered Office 10a Ridgeway Road

Sheffield & Ecclesall branches to follow

hilldweller

Yes HD post your list

Sheffield & Ecclesall Co-op branches from 1942 Kelly's Directory.

Registered Office & Central Premises The Arcade, 21/41 Ecclesall Road & Cemetery Road.

201/3 Napier Street, 24/32 Wolseley Road, 282/292 Gleadless Road Heeley, 88 Fawcett Street, 96/98 St. Mary's Road, 666/670 Abbeydale Road, 134/136 Walkley Street, 490/492 Glossop Road, 95 Duke street Park, 208/216 Oakbrook Road, 187 Northfield Road Crookes, Hartington Road Dronfield, 555/557 Ecclesall Road, 101/103 Division Street, 97 Chesterfield Road, 643/645 Chesterfield Road, 830/4 & 902 Ecclesall Road Greystones, 929/933 Chesterfield Road, 2 Terminus Road, 140 Walkley Lane, 27 & 260 Derbyshire Lane, Main Road Hathersage, 46 & 68/70 Barber Road, 291/297 Langsett Road, 154/6 Valley Road, Netherside Bradwell, 96/102 Vincent Road, 414 Heavygate Road, 136/8 Crookes, 237/9 Ringinglow Road Bents Green, 140/2 Alderson Road, 32/4 Sandygate Road Crosspool, 136/8 Upper Hanover Street, 298a Meadow Head, 28/30 Winter Street, 14/16 Hutcliffe Wood Road, Abbey Lane, 175 Baslow Road Totley, 3/9 Lees Hall Avenue Meersbrook, Midhill Road, Olive Grove, 6 Sheldon Road, DevonshireTerrace Road Dore, 364 Mytle Road, Arbourthorne, 496 Ridgeway Road Gleadless, 2 Brooklands Avenue Fulwood, Bocking Lane, Greenhill,

Boot Dept 169 Howard Road, Radio Dept 34/8 Ecclesall Road, Drapery & Boot Dept 200 Crookes, Ladies Hairdressing & Pharmacy Dept 20 Hutcliffe Wood Road Abbey Lane, Coal Depts Queens Road & Millhouses Stations, Tailoring workrooms 665 Abbeydale Road, Undertakers & Funeral Directors 34 Cemetery Road & Stalker Walk, Milk Dept Pickmere Road Crookes,

Model Dairy, Grocery Warehouse, Cooked Meats Factory, Confectionery, Bakery, Garages, Smithy, Wheelwrights & Boot Repair Factory all at Archer Road Millhouses. Telegraphic Address " Integrity"

Hilldweller

Guest Gramps

Noticed the other day the CoOp on Alderson road is still standing - now owned by James' Cycles. I spent many hours in there waiting to be served. The manager had a policy of making little boys wait until the adults had been attended to and my mother usually had a go at me for 'messing about' instead of going directly there and back.

One day I persuaded her to come with me and observe what went on. She did, and saw, and gave the manager a good ear-wiggin' as well as threatening to complain to the general manager. Never had any trouble after that. he he

They say that when our men had served in the forces they never forgot their national service numbers

even years after they were demobbed.

Well if you ask around you will find that everyone seems to remember their mothers Co-op number

even though they were only young at the time.

I can't remember my mobile number but I remember my mother's Co-op number from when I

was eight. 91038. Ask me what I did yesterday and I haven't a clue. he he ;-)

They say that when our men had served in the forces they never forgot their national service numbers

Well if you ask around you will find that everyone seems to remember their mothers Co-op number

I can't remember my mobile number but I remember my mother's Co-op number from when I

was eight. 91038. Ask me what I did yesterday and I haven't a clue. he he;-)

In my case it was my grandmothers co-op number that is indelibly engrave in my brain, and woe betide me if I didn't come back with the little slip of paper in order for her to claim her divi ! :o

I've used that number in different combination's and with additions ever since for non-critical passwords because I can always remember it, no matter what time of day.

HD

Guest plain talker

was eight. 91038. Ask me what I did yesterday and I haven't a clue. he he;-)

In my case it was my grandmothers co-op number that is indelibly engrave in my brain, and woe betide me if I didn't come back with the little slip of paper in order for her to claim her divi ! :o

I've used that number in different combination's and with additions ever since for non-critical passwords because I can always remember it, no matter what time of day.

HD

My father can still remember his mother's "divi" number. I can remember my aunt and uncle's phone number in Barnsley, from when we had the local codes (eg 98 for Barnsley) Their number was 98-78 4***. this was from probably 40 years ago. And what use the number is to me, goodness only knows - they've been in Perth Western Australia for nearly 25 years!

Another photo of the B & C at the corner of Attercliffe Common and Kirkbridge Road.

If only this image had been on Picture Sheffield when I was trying to get this two years ago. It would have made things so much easier. At least I got there in the end.

Does anyone know when the Brightside & Carbrook Cooperative Store - Lindsay Avenue Parsons Cross Sheffield closed, and does anyone have any additional information on the shop

I don't even remember RichardB's 1909 thing and I'm RichardB apparently; definately more lists with links needed. An aim for next year ...

Advert for the B & C Laundry Taken from RichardB's

I don't even remember RichardB's 1909 thing and I'm RichardB apparently; definately more lists with links needed. An aim for next year ...

You should re-acquaint yourself with the cookery book if you can ever find the time - some excellent local adverts (expect a few more to be inserted into relevant topics) and some fine recipes and domestic tips as well. It slowed down my progress as I found it fascinating.

There are a lot of old topics which I seem to have resurrected in my trawl for broken links, and many more to come, no doubt.

I've got "it COLLARS the trade" but what does the picture above represent ?

"Is in the ------- rank" ?

I think it is meant to be a shirt front of the detachable starched variety used in times past (such as 1909, it would appear).

Hence in the "front" rank is probably the idea.

In the "shirt front" rank sounds silly, and as another name for the shirt front was the dickey (or dickie) the wrong impression could be gained..

Two more not mentioned or not much.

First the Co-Op on Fairleigh Manor. Had several years of life till being converted to an Housing Office. Now empty again!

1982 in the process of being converted

In use:

Inside the above

Lastly the Matrec building on Prince of Wales Road was a Co-op. It was purchased with a grant from the European Social Fund and the converted into the training centre, by Gordon Wordsworth using unemployed Manor people.

While doing it they found a large metal motor crane used to take/load flour sacks into the upper floor. But it was so heavy and built into the walls, that it was left in as a feature to the new centre! Last time I was there, it was still there!

This photo is the shop still in use. Sorry it's a bit blurred - original like that!

On 22/01/2010 at 10:51, madannie77 said:

Gleadless Townend, at the junction of Ridgeway Road and Gleadless Road. The building is still standing:

gleadless_coop.jpg

Haven't found an old photo of it as a co-op yet.

Apparently it had a cash railway, but unfortunately I can't remember that :(

Is this building gone now?

Still there, on the corner of Ridgeway Road and Gleadless Road. Not sure what businesses are using it at the moment, as I forgot to look last time I was in Sheffield over the New Year.