Sheffield co-op's

Only me

Has anyone mentioned this one yet

Constable Road, Herdings / Hemsworth S14

Yes, and I remember the old shop that was part of a row that included a Spar, Post Office, Greengrocers, hardware and co-op on the same site.

Missing S&E co-ops

Bents Green

2 stores at crookes

Park Hill Flats replaced Duke St

Brookland Avenue, Fulwood (Still open)

Dore village (Still open)

Bradwell, Derbyshire (Still open)

Constable Road, now a new store, but same location

Ecclesall Road, close to Hunters Bar

Greystones Road

Langsett Road, opposite Jacks Sasperilla bar.

Lees Hall Avenue (Still open)

Woodseats opposite farm foods now a photography studio

three more to add

Fawcett Street

Wolsley Road

Barber Rd

Yes, and I remember the old shop that was part of a row that included a Spar, Post Office, Greengrocers, hardware and co-op on the same site.

Missing S&E co-ops

Bents Green

2 stores at crookes

Park Hill Flats replaced Duke St

Brookland Avenue, Fulwood (Still open)

Dore village (Still open)

Bradwell, Derbyshire (Still open)

Constable Road, now a new store, but same location

Ecclesall Road, close to Hunters Bar

Greystones Road

Langsett Road, opposite Jacks Sasperilla bar.

Lees Hall Avenue (Still open)

Woodseats opposite farm foods now a photography studio

three more to add

Fawcett Street

Wolsley Road

Barber Rd

OK, at least I managed to get a picture of it.

Would be nice if we could have pictures of all these Co-Op's (or the former sites of them) so that they can be linked to the master list.

Gleadless Townend, at the junction of Ridgeway Road and Gleadless Road. The building is still standing:

Haven't found an old photo of it as a co-op yet.

Apparently it had a cash railway, but unfortunately I can't remember that :(

Now on the opposite side of Ridgeway Road / Norton Avenue, on what used to be "the Derbyshire side" near Gleadless townend post office on Norton Avenue / Whites Lane there is still a Co-Op but it appears to be only a pharmacy and not a full supermarket.

A Detailed History of the S & E CO-OP

From the beginning up to 1913

By

William Rose

127 pages (illustrated)

Pdf available for download, link to .. Internet Archive

File size 4.39 MB,

enjoy your read.

Pictures of B&C first branch in carbrook St and branches at Kirkedge Rd, Carbrook St, Darnal, Grimesthorpe, Staniforth RD and Brightside.

Pictures of B&C first branch in carbrook St and branches at Kirkedge Rd, Carbrook St, Darnal, Grimesthorpe, Staniforth RD and Brightside.

It seems that the second picture here is inverted!!!

Some of the branches would be difficult to check if we have them due to incomplete addresses.

Where, for example, was "Intake" branch or "Handsworth" branch or "Darnall" branch exactly?

These are big areas with more than one shopping centre making it difficult to check against todays Co-Op buildings

I have pictures of all the food stores that are listed and will scan them in as I get chance, maybe if some of the buildings exist in another form than a co-op they could be identified from the pictures , but they are from a souvenire booklet of the opening of the central premises in 1929, so I guess most will be long gone. In most cases you can generally tell a buildings past as a co-op from its style.

It's not now,

I have roated it Dave

OK thanks Steve.

I thought sando could have been another of our Australian members (like THYLACINE) and that was the reason it was upside down lol

A few more scanned pictures from the B&C, the right way up this time, too much Fosters on Saturday.

This is the "New" Exchange street shop as illustrated by Sando in the previous post, don't know the data of this photo?

A few more of the grocery branches:-

THe stores listed as Ecclesfield ( axcroos and up from the current store), Handsworth Hill (oposite IMO car wash) and Page Hall buildings all still exist but not as co-ops

Maybe I'm having a senior blonde moment, but I can see no mention of the B & C at Sheffield Lane Top, where the tram terminus was, as seen here. I don't suppose I would have ever noticed if there had not been a tram in the photo :)

And how it looks today (or at least when the Google Streetview car passed:

(Image from Google Streetview)

Am I overlooking something or are we just blind to the blatently obvious?

Right in the middle of town!

Pinstone Street, opposite the Peace gardens

Am I overlooking something or are we just blind to the blatently obvious?

Right in the middle of town!

Pinstone Street, opposite the Peace gardens

That was a Sommerfield the other week , same applies to White Ln at Gleadless, that Sommerfield is branded as a CO-OP after its refit

That was a Sommerfield the other week , same applies to White Ln at Gleadless, that Sommerfield is branded as a CO-OP after its refit

The Sommerfield at White Lane Gleadless was the old Azena dance hall (the one where the Beatles played in 1963)

So have the Co-Op taken over Sommerfields?

The Sommerfield at White Lane Gleadless was the old Azena dance hall (the one where the Beatles played in 1963)

So have the Co-Op taken over Sommerfields?

Yes, last year I think

Yes, last year I think

Interesting,

We started this topic because we thought that the Co-Op was in decline and didn't have as many branches as it used to have.

Turns out they are still a very profitable business and are rapidly buying out their competitors and expanding their empire.

The old S & E co-op on Abbeydale Road opposite the Woodseats Road junction still shows clear signs of it's origin. Pity about the banner obscuring part of it.