Sheffield co-op's

Only me

Haven't we forgotten this one?

Mansfield Road Co-Op at Intake still open.

Quite a famous Co-Op this one as it is built on the site of the old REX cinema (or at least its car park is)

The REX was the last Sheffield suburban cinema to close in 1982

Haven't we forgotten this one?

Mansfield Road Co-Op at Intake still open.

Quite a famous Co-Op this one as it is built on the site of the old REX cinema (or at least its car park is)

The REX was the last Sheffield suburban cinema to close in 1982

Right, this was not built as a Co-Op it became a one in later years, bonus points if anybody can name the original name.

I'm pretty sure it was built at the side of the Rex and then extended once the Rex had been demolished.

I'm pretty sure it was built at the side of the Rex and then extended once the Rex had been demolished.

It was, that's why I said it was on the site of the REX, or at least its cars park is.

Not sure what it was before it was a Co-Op though.

It was, that's why I said it was on the site of the REX, or at least its cars park is.

Not sure what it was before it was a Co-Op though.

The Challenge

What was the previous name/names of this supermarket

When was it built

The Challenge

When was it built

I Feel sure that it was called Marshalls..... I can remember when my mom and mom in law used to go to Intake club Saturday afternoons they called in there to do a bit of shopping and it was my job to give them a lift home.

The Challenge

When was it built

I get the impression that you already know the answers to these questions.

Also, I feel that I should know as I must have spent years looking at it from the window of a number 41 bus travelling between Manor Top and your mums at Hackenthorpe. I always used to look out of the window at the REX just to see what film they were showing. Don't suppose I really took much notice of what was next to it.

I also get the impression that it wasn't originally a well known supermarket like the Co-Op or even part of a big chain with a well known name like Tesco's

It was probably a much smaller concern like Fine Fare used to be, or even a "one off" sipermarket name like the "Challenge" supermarket which occupied the other old cinema at Manor Top.

To be honest I don't really know even though I should.

Good challenge though, wonder if anyone else will know?

You must have been typing at the same time as me Dave I had to think hard but feel sure that I am right.

So do you know the answer then Syl?

I Feel sure that it was called Marshalls..... I can remember when my mom and mom in law used to go to Intake club Saturday afternoons they called in there to do a bit of shopping and it was my job to give them a lift home.

Sorry Syl, didn't see your post above mine as we were typing at the same time. lol

Doesn't make me think "Ah yes, of course it was" but you are probably right.

Just need to get Stuart to confirm that before we attempt the "when was it built" bit of the question.

For this I would assume that if the original building was there along with the cinema and the houses just above it we would be looking at the 1930's

The Rex was built just before the war I think about 1938 as my Mum lived at Richmond in 1935 till 2005 and I know it was built after they bought their house. I can remember going from 1949 onwards but I can't remember if it was there then or not. It was only later that I realised that you could have sweets at the pictures and I used to get these from the shop ajoining the Rex. :) Thinking about it I am sure if it had been there as long as the Rex I would have gone there for my sweets .....no I feel sure it was built not that long before the Rex was knocked down.

The Rex was built just before the war I think about 1938 as my Mum lived at Richmond in 1935 till 2005 and I know it was built after they bought their house. I can remember going from 1949 onwards but I can't remember if it was there then or not. It was only later that I realised that you could have sweets at the pictures and I used to get these from the shop ajoining the Rex. :) Thinking about it I am sure if it had been there as long as the Rex I would have gone there for my sweets .....no I feel sure it was built not that long before the Rex was knocked down.

The Marshalls bit is correct, to when it was built I don't know.

Dave as you say all those years looking out the No.41 bus window, it was definitely there in the early 70's, and it was extended in later years after the Rex was demolished.

Right, this was not built as a Co-Op it became a one in later years, bonus points if anybody can name the original name.

Yes it is a Co-op, but initially it was neither a B&C or an S&E, it was one of the Co-operative retail societies forays into Sheffield. CRS merged with CWS (co-op wholesale society), S&E merged with Yorkshire society, who then merged with United Co-operatives, Sheffield Society (originally B&C) then joined the United Co-operatives, finally United co-operatives joined the co-operative group and all in Sheffield became one.

Getting back to the point CRS aquired the store on Mansfield road as part of their expansion, prior to this the store was owned by Argyle stores, as a Lo-Cost store.

Yes it was a Co-op, but it was neither a B&C or an S&E, it was one of the Co-operative retail societies forays into Sheffield, prior to being a co-op it was owned by Argyle stores, as a Lo-Cost store.

Now you mention it I can remember it being Low cost ... but also still remember it being Marshalls :huh: Did it change to Low Cost not that long before the Rex closed. I can remeber being disapointed that Rex was being demolished just to be a carpark.

S&E does stand for "Sheffield and Ecclesall" doesn't it?

An S&E branch in Bakewell :blink:

Begs the question how far can you travel out of Sheffield and still find a branch of either S&E or B&C Co-Op

This was the site of the Bakewell branch on Street View, it is now Bakewell Antiques and Art, King Street.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Bakewell+derbyshire&sll=53.380026,-1.512165&sspn=0.01088,0.026693&g=S10+5FG&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Bakewell,+Derbyshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.212763,-1.67604&spn=0.000683,0.001668&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.212706,-1.676192&panoid=wwWqmUmQY36cXBKg5DCPNA&cbp=12,115.9,,0,4.57

Sorry I don,t know how to copy pictures from street view but this is URL

This was the site of the Bakewell branch on Street View, it is now Bakewell Antiques and Art, King Street.

http://maps.google.c...e&sll=53.380026,-1.512165&sspn=0.01088,0.026693&g=S10+5FG&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Bakewell,+Derbyshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.212763,-1.67604&spn=0.000683,0.001668&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.212706,-1.676192&panoid=wwWqmUmQY36cXBKg5DCPNA&cbp=12,115.9,,0,4.57

Sorry I don,t know how to copy pictures from street view but this is URL

Here's the picture Sando, although I suspect it was part of the Midland society rather than B&C or S&E

Google Streetview

Here's the picture Sando, although I suspect it was part of the Midland society rather than B&C or S&E

Google Streetview

Deffinately an S&E during the late 70s as I worked there for a few days covering for holidays, there was also a branch in Hathersage

There was another S & E on the corner of Chesterfield Road and Meersbrook Park Road below the Vestry Hall. It was a Sauna for years, then reopened as a grocery store for a few weeks either last year or the year before.

The one on the corner of Valley Road and Brookyn Road became a "Krazy Kuts" in the early 70's, when the butchers shop on Brooklyn closed. The main shop then became a Pro Golf shop for many years. Now it's Steve's general store.

There was another S & E on the corner of Chesterfield Road and Meersbrook Park Road below the Vestry Hall. It was a Sauna for years, then reopened as a grocery store for a few weeks either last year or the year before.

The one on the corner of Valley Road and Brookyn Road became a "Krazy Kuts" in the early 70's, when the butchers shop on Brooklyn closed. The main shop then became a Pro Golf shop for many years. Now it's Steve's general store.

This is the one at the bottom of Meersbrook Park Road that you mention Oldbloke,

I must admit that I never knew that it was once a Co-op.

The reason that I took the photos was because of the unusual vented windows,

thought it looked like some sort of old workshop. :mellow:

This one

Image from Google SV

The vented windows are a leftover from when it was a sauna. I think the co-op closed around 1969.

Thanks OB,

the windows look a lot older than post 1969

maybe we should start a new Topic 'Sheffield Sauna's' lol

I found out today that there was an S&E on either Vincent Street or road in the abbeydale/ Sharrow area.

I know the place you mean sando it was on Vincent road, its now called sharrow electrical. I have tried to post the google live street link to it but its not working for me.

Can anyone else try to post the link? thanks.

I know the place you mean sando it was on Vincent road, its now called sharrow electrical. I have tried to post the google live street link to it but its not working for me.

Can anyone else try to post the link? thanks.

A screen shot from Google Street View

And a link