Sheffield co-op's

Only me

This was the Firth Park B&C Co op before they moved into what used to be Woolworths on Sicey Avenue. My Mom worked for many years at the B&C Bakery on Bellhouse Road

Wasn't there also a Co-op dairy up towards Concord Park on Bellhouse Road aswell as a laundry? I also remember some of my family had a wedding reception at some sort of function rooms there? I seem to recall it there was a staff training centre there - now long demolished.

Thanks to DaveH, a then and now picture of the S&E Co-op at Morland Road, Herdings.

The part of the shop on the far right of the photo was the Co-op butchers which was run separately to the main supermarket.

Wasn't there also a Co-op dairy up towards Concord Park on Bellhouse Road aswell as a laundry? I also remember some of my family had a wedding reception at some sort of function rooms there? I seem to recall it there was a staff training centre there - now long demolished.

Yes the Bakery,laundry and dairy were all on the same premises. My Mom worked in the bakery office which was just down the hall from the reception room. I went to a couple of weddings there myself. It was ahuge complex that also had both football and criket pitches as well as a bowling green. Sad to say it is all gone now.

Thanks to DaveH, a then and now picture of the S&E Co-op at Morland Road, Herdings.

The part of the shop on the far right of the photo was the Co-op butchers which was run separately to the main supermarket.

Thanks Markbaby I had forgotten I had posted that.

This particular one was the S&E Co-Op.

My mother worked for the B&C Co Op for many years and worked in the following branches.

Northern Avenue Shopping Centre

Manor Park Shopping Centre

Jaunty Lane Shopping Centre (behind the Centre Spot)

So there's a few more for the list.

Gleadless Road, Heeley Green. Although still a Co-op it is now part of the Somerfields / Co-op group. there are still traces of it's Sheffield & Eccleshall heritage.

The upstairs used to be a function room.

My mother worked for the B&C Co Op for many years and worked in the following branches.

My Mum worked for the S&E

The Arcade at the bottom of the Moor (Waitress in the top floor restaurant)

Morland Road - Herdings

Gleadless Townend

Sheldon Road

Heeley Green.

Occasionally she helped out at Newfield Green

My Mum worked for the S&E

The Arcade at the bottom of the Moor (Waitress in the top floor restaurant)

Morland Road - Herdings

Gleadless Townend

Sheldon Road

Heeley Green.

Occasionally she helped out at Newfield Green

So between us our mothers have helped extend this "Co-Op list quite a bit lol

If you worked in the Co-Op before 1970 you always got plenty of points on your "divi number" (Dividend Number)

After that date you were forever sticking savings stamps into books.

So between us our mothers have helped extend this "Co-Op list quite a bit lol

If you worked in the Co-Op before 1970 you always got plenty of points on your "divi number" (Dividend Number)

After that date you were forever sticking savings stamps into books.

And now it's done with a members swipe card :)

I've pinned this topic and will build a list

Paul

Sounds a good idea Dunsbyowl

Pubs, churches, schools, police stations, cinemas and even closed public toilet lists already exist on the site.

Sheffield had a very extensive set of Co-Op shops from 2 main branches (S&E and B&C) and, like all Co-Op shops everywhere they have served the local community well for many years, in fact many of them are still doing so to this day.

A list of them, perhaps divided into S&E and B&C sections, would be an excellent addition to the site.

Pubs, churches, schools, police stations, cinemas and even closed public toilet lists already exist on the site.

Sheffield had a very extensive set of Co-Op shops from 2 main branches (S&E and B&C) and, like all Co-Op shops everywhere they have served the local community well for many years, in fact many of them are still doing so to this day.

A list of them, perhaps divided into S&E and B&C sections, would be an excellent addition to the site.

And are expanding now the Co-op have taken over Somerfields!

Northern Avenue Co-Op as it is today.

A bit run down and past its best but still open for business as usual

There is more about the shops on Northern Avenue in this thread

Guest binsted71

There was a B&C Co-op on Infirmary Road with a B&C Chemist next door.

I think the site Between the end house and the old Co-op was Taplin Road garage.

Taplin Road Garage, run for many years by a chap called Hollingsworth, was on the other side of the road almost opposite the end of Hillsborough Place where I lived for a while. Hillsborough Place is at the far end of the co-op and the butchery dept. was around the corner in this street. The area to the near end of the old co-op used to back on to the old tramsheds and used to contain a couple of old tin garages. The Taplin Road Garage was at the top of a small yard with the house to the immediate left used as an office/accesories shop. If you required petrol you drove in and Mr Hollingsworth backed you out into Taplin Road. The area was my stomping ground for about 20 years.

Update

I've just had a look on Google Streetview and the old Taplin Road Garage site is now S.T. Building and Roofing Services.

Further Update After the Co-op left, the premises were used for a number of years as a wines and spirits warehouse by Graingers the off-licence people. The lady who was to become my wife once foiled a raid there when on her way back from Gordon's chippy she saw torches being used inside the building. She rang 999 and arrests were made !

HD

And are expanding now the Co-op have taken over Somerfields!

The Somerfield which was at Manor Top based in the old Manor Cinema building has now become a Tesco's Express store though and not a Co-Op.

Which reminds me, -

There was a B&C Co-Op at Manor Top on the section between Manor Cinema and the Library / Health Centre which is set back in a parking lay-by.

When I first left school in 1960 I worked at the Co-op on Bramley Park Road now a Chinese take away. Then I got moved to Exchange Street at the side of the market but that got replaced by Castle house where I worked for a few weeks before being moved to the warehouse offices on Broughton Lane now the Arena. There was also a co-op on Hendon street with a butchers next door that's now gone but can't think what is there now although I don't live to far away. My Dad was a manager at lots of branches as they used to move you around a lot I can remember him working at Rothay Road, Ribston Road ,Gower Street ,Wisewood, Northern Avenue,.Bellhouse Road and Hackenthorpe but don't know how many of them are still co-ops. These were all B&C Co-ops. There was also one at Ballifield Drive that has been several different things since but is now empty.

Thanks everyone, keep em coming :)

B & C CO-OP Birley Spa Lane, Hackenthorpe

B & C CO-OP Birley Moor Rd Frechevile

S & E CO-OP Baslow Rd Totley, still open

S & E CO OP Lowedges still open

S & E CO-OP St Mary's Rd junction with Shoreham St

S & E CO-OP Abbeydale Rd (nr bottom of Woodseats Rd) Now a bathroom shop

S & E CO-OP Meadowhead nr Greenfield Rd

These come to mind

There wasa B&C one on Carlisle Street where I used to go to night school for book keeping.

Lyon Street

Richmond Road still open B&C

Woodhouse still open B&C

Stanniforth Road had 2

Stradbroke Drive B&C

Ryton Road Anston but was B&C