Sheffield co-op's

Only me

There were a lot of co-op's in the Sheffield area that have now gone or been replaced.

Two of their supermarkets i remember were.

Wolesley road heeley that is now replaced by a mosk.

Addy st upperthorpe, this is now a doctors surgery.

Can anyone recall any of the locations of the many other co-op's ?

Gleadless Townend, at the junction of Ridgeway Road and Gleadless Road. The building is still standing:

Haven't found an old photo of it as a co-op yet.

Apparently it had a cash railway, but unfortunately I can't remember that :(

Guest 30_degrees

The only one I can remember as a kid was at Margetson Crescent, S5. One snowy winters evening mum and I went shopping there from Colley Cres, and took the shopping home on the sledge.

Initial Post by member "Only Me"

There were a lot of co-op's in the Sheffield area that have now gone or been replaced.

Two of their supermarkets i remember were.

Wolesley road heeley that is now replaced by a mosk.

Addy st upperthorpe, this is now a doctors surgery.

The only one I can remember as a kid was at Margetson Crescent, S5. One snowy winters evening mum and I went shopping there from Colley Cres, and took the shopping home on the sledge.

A bit about the Brightside & Carbrook here

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...amp;hl=carbrook

This corner was the site of a Co-Op shop.

Long demolished

Beighton Road/Albert Road, Hackenthorpe

Google Streetview

Vox - the Co-op Building still stands at Fir Vale - now an Asian Grocers - can you find on Google Street View please?

Vox - the Co-op Building still stands at Fir Vale - now an Asian Grocers - can you find on Google Street View please?

Hi Dunsby

I've had a look on streetview for you.

Unfortunately I don't know exactly where it is and there seem to be a plethora of Asian Grocers around there. :)

Where was it in relation to, say, the main junction of Barnsley Rd/Owler Lane/Herries Road.

Edit: I think I've found the one you mean now Dunsby.

See below

Hi Dunsby

I've had a look on streetview for you.

Unfortunately I don't know exactly where it is and there seem to be a plethora of Asian Grocers around there. :)

Where was it in relation to, say, the main junction of Barnsley Rd/Owler Lane/Herries Road.

Edit: I think I've found the one you mean now Dunsby.

See below

Sorry Vox - that is Page Hall & may have been a co-op in its time - I remember it as Patnick's "Junkerara". The Owler Lane shop is directly across from Trinity Methodist Church by the traffic lights as the road forks off to Page Hall/Firth Park. Its easily the widest shop on that parade built out of red brick with cast iron decoration on the roof. Possibly the windows are painted dark green.

I should have explained myself.

Sorry Vox - that is Page Hall & may have been a co-op in its time - I remember it as Patnick's "Junkerara". The Owler Lane shop is directly across from Trinity Methodist Church by the traffic lights as the road forks off to Page Hall/Firth Park. Its easily the widest shop on that parade built out of red brick with cast iron decoration on the roof. Possibly the windows are painted dark green.

The building you mention across from Trinity church is it next to a closed down car lot?

If so its now an Asian travel agent. I remember in the 70s it had a co-op insurance place upstairs.

That's right. My family used to live on Skinnerthorpe Rd, and our houses backed on to the co-op. Owler Lane was always referred to as 'Stores Hill' because of the co-op grocers. Unfortunately there's no Google Street View between Selby Road and Firth Park Road junctions with Owler Lane.

This was the Firth Park B&C Co op before they moved into what used to be Woolworths on Sicey Avenue. My Mom worked for many years at the B&C Bakery on Bellhouse Road

This was the S&E Co-op branch on Sheldon Road. Pops supermarket started out where the Bathroom shop is at the left of the picture. When the Co-op shut down, he moved into the vacant shop.

Taplin road, Hillsborough

Google Streetview

I think the site Between the end house and the old Co-op was Taplin Road garage.