Sheffield co-op's

Only me

I worked as a butcher for the S&E for a couple of years on leaving school in 1961, and then later on was a milkman doing 6 different rounds a week (relief roundsman) before working in the dairey at  Archer road. The first branch i worked at was Ecclesal road near Hickmot road, then at the bottom of greystones road, then caterknowle road, Wolseley road, the arcade at Cemetery road, onto Park hill the pavement and finally to crosspool.

I live near Eckington and during the "lockdown" started to shop at their Co -o P.... which is a friendly place , was less "threatening" and I got my divi! It might be  a bit more expensive but I continue to shop there and find its civility worth every penny!!! It reminds me of how shopping used to be at B and C's Lane Top branch,☺️

• Like 1

I do have some experience in being a spectator when the lay person board of the S&E made mistake after mistake. The board members in the main were good, honest and decent people, however these attributes weren’t sufficient to save what none of realised was a sinking ship.

However there are surviving branches in the likes of Fulwood, Dore, Ecclesall and Totley, now run in a corporate manner.

I  seem to think all of the old B and C branches have now gone. Eckington's is a part of Midshires Co Op, who appear to have found their niche in the highly competitive market. 

I was brought up in a family which firmly believed in the  principles of the Co Op and everything we could was purchased from them.....from clothes, food, shoes, furniture and our first TV set. I even remember our old Co Op divi number ( 854018) and heaven help me if I came back from a shopping errand without the slip of paper.

This was a B &C coop in the 40's and 50@s. It was on the corner of Midhill Road and Olive Grove road. My abiding memory is of the hand bagging of sugar into those blue bags, and the expert way they were folded.

image.thumb.png.57833a6bea003a68b12ab1ffb2d57863.png

And the slicing of bacon....weighing out of flour and providing cheese, cut as near as possible to the weight wanted., by a wire cutter.

Art Deco architecture played a big part in how Co-Op branches were perceived, that being new, square and shiny, sadly they were very easy to bastardise. This era of architecture really interests me, WW2 put the lid on this type of building, I wonder if folk recognise this style of architecture, at least the Co-Op can be remembered for something classical.

I don't think I ever saw that particular co-op, but it seemed familiar to me.

Sure enough, the co-op at Gleadless Townend frequented by my mother when I was but a child was not dissimilar. It looks rather past it's prime in this image, unfortunately.

s42017.jpg

The hardware shop at Bents Green has closed, signage has been removed, revealing half of the original Co-op tiling

20220407_183755.jpg

• Like 1

On 15/03/2010 at 12:42, Oldbloke said:

The vented windows are a leftover from when it was a sauna. I think the co-op closed around 1969.

I can remember going in there when it was a CoOp ... I think the Krazy Kuts supermarket was after that, but my memory is foggy.  

My gran (Ann Wheatcroft) used to run the general store on the corner opposite, and owned the buildings next door where Flint's wet fish shopa nd chippy were, along with Blakely's sweet shop and a cobblers.

The house opposite the CoOp on the other side of Brooklyn Road is where Ponsford's had their first shop!

A couple I knew well a long while ago, Handsworth and Woodhouse Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd, / Woodhouse Co-operative Society Ltd became Brightside and Carbrook Co-op Society  in 1964 shortly before I worked as a milk rounds-man from the dairy behind the old Chapel Street shop.

The first two are of No. 7 branch, No. 38 Normanton Springs before and after modernisation, the third is an old shot of the Chapel Street shop, the nearest I can find to when I knew it, and finally a Google shot of Chapel Street 2022.  Woodhouse was a lovely village when I knew it.

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16918&prevUrl=

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16917&prevUrl=

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16925&prevUrl=

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3587679,-1.374057,3a,75y,325.36h,87.48t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sJylmDEt8_PP3DgaRkchB9Q!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DJylmDEt8_PP3DgaRkchB9Q%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D163.2853%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

b&c_branch_no_7_38_normanton_springs_before.jpg

b&c_branch_no_7_38_normanton_springs_after.jpg

b&c_chapel_street_before.jpg

co-op_chapel_street_2022.png

=================================================================

EDIT :- The later Normanton Springs branch building is still in existence though much changed -------------------------

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Manor+Press+Ltd/@53.3557148,-1.3939174,3a,75y,19.26h,83.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2oyNkmBCbW8X4HPOJM2TTA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m6!3m5!1s0x48799d1428d46b2b:0xd364240a3f6e4b42!8m2!3d53.3558152!4d-1.3938805!16s%2Fg%2F1tnpkjfz?hl=en

b&c_springs.png