Brickworks in Sheffield ?

Waterside Echo

Quarryfield Road is just about on the site of Darnall Road Pottery. Behind that was a clay pit. (1893)

I can't find any reference to "quarry"

Old Clay Pit 1893

Oldmaps.co.uk

However, 1950's OS map #183 clearly shows quarries in the immediate area.

Good stuff vox - earlier today i was walking home and saw this modern street name just off Darnall Rd, S9. Does it fit into your findings at all?

1965 directory.

1965 directory.

attachicon.gifbrick.jpg

Our first little semi at Mona Avenue, Crookes was built in 1939 with Coupe Brothers bricks.

During the sixties I sometimes caught a bus to work that passed their Darnall site which at that time seemed to be making large pre-cast items for pre-fab type buildings.

HD

Juts having some work done and an internal wall removed from our 1930's semi.

Bricks are marked Webster & Co Sheffield.

Lyn

Juts having some work done and an internal wall removed from our 1930's semi.

Bricks are marked Webster & Co Sheffield.

Lyn

Archer Road, 1925

Not a specific Brick-works, but related

I was down at Well Meadow Street a few weeks ago, and took some photos of the current phase of work going on down there which I will eventually get round to sorting and posting.

In the meantime, I thought this photo was quite touching.

A child's hobnail boot print in a brick. There are quite a few but this is the clearest one.

By the size of it, one would guess at someone aged about 10years or less, most probably working in the brick-works at the time.

Pickford Hollands were still there in the 1970's on the site where Sainsbury's is now. I remember being able to look into the part where they made bricks from Laycock Engineering's General Machine shop through a hole in the corrugated sheeting. Their Totley site still looks to be occupied the last time I went past.

I am guessing this is from Crookes Brick Works, found in our garden on Lydgate lane, I know there were a number of quarries on Lydgate lane

The Crookes Brick Works was a short lived undertaking situated where now stands the new Catholic Church just off School Road.

It had a large Hoffman Kiln and the clay was obtained from shallow workings in the Western Road, Mona Avenue, Springvale Road area.

I understand that when the kiln was demolished the bricks were re-used to build terraces in the Romsdal Road area.

The site was subsequently used to build the Crookes Tramsheds which were used for many years by the Parks Department after the demise of the trams. In recent times they were replaced by the church.

We used to live in Mona Avenue in a semi built in the bottom of the clay workings. The house stood on bedrock but the garden was built on rubbish tipped in the workings.

When playing with a metal detector I thought I'd find a bomb but it turned out to be a 1920's gas cooker.

The quarries on Lydgate Lane were used to obtain building stone, the one where the playground is now situated was quite deep and filled with rubbish around the time of WW2.

HD

On 18/11/2012 at 17:37, helene hanff said:

My 4*gt gd father William Stubbs was a brick maker, in 1841 he was living at 97 Milton Street then in 1851 he was in 95 Thomas Street, I can't find him in 1861, but I know he died in 1866 living at Bath Street . His wife Hannah died in 1853 at 95 Thomas Street. In Whites Directory for 1852 he is a brickyard manager at Cemetery Road living at 95 Thomas Street. There are other members of the family who are alos brick makers.

Does anyone know anything more about the brickmakers of Sheffield and also which factory would he have been manager of?

Thanks

On 19/11/2012 at 19:13, helene hanff said:

Thanks Bayleaf for that, Thanks to help on another site I have found out some more. I know from a court case on 8th May 1841 Brown v Richardson that John, William and Edward Stubbs were all employed by Roger Brown. The firm Roger owned was called Samuel Brown and Brothers according to the 1834 directory and they were at Division Street. Then in 1852 it is Roger Brown brick maker at 81 Division Street.

I hope this clears things up a bit, so now my question is do you or anyone else know anything about Browns?

Roger Brown (if he is the uncle of Sir John Brown, of the steel firm) is supposedly my great great great granddad (give or take a great). There were 3 brothers too (if memory serves!) one of which had the nickname balloony brown because he was apparently the first person to go up in a hot air balloon in Sheffield. Then there was the father of Sir John Brown, Samuel Brown, guessing that is where the Samuel Brown and Brothers company name came from (I thought I remembered reading that company was a slaters?) and then Roger Brown who interestingly enough invented the magnetic lightning conductor according to one article here http://youle.info/history/fh_material/Making_of_Sheffield/13-LIVES.TXT and also showed some other things at the Great Exhibition in London (can't find the link for that article now unfortunately!). He also had Endcliffe Hall in Sheffield built. (Hopefully all that was correct, remembering most of it though!).

Early fire brick manufacturing industry - casting pit refractories

J&J Dyson Griffs Works, Stopes Road, Stannington - now a housing estate - but does anyone know anything about the early history of the ownership of the brickworks that was on the site?

On OS maps of the 1888-1913 series they show 3 brick works on Stopes Road. The one on the Loxley side (north side) I know was owned by J Drabble & Sons at the time and was later bought by Thos Wragg & Sons of Storrs Fire Clay Works (Old Wheel works), Loxley and closed in 1960. There are 2 works shown on the southern side of the road - what became the site of Dyson’s firebrick works - they were Griffs Brick Works at the eastern end of the site (nearest to Stannington) and what looks like a larger works, the Stannington Brick Works at the western end of the site (furthest away from Stannington).  I know that the two works became merged into one Griffs Works perhaps under the eventual ownership of the Lomas family in 1893 when The works was bought from the widow of one of the Dyson sons following his suicide.

My question is does anyone know who owned the 2 works at the time they were founded and operating independently?  I know that members of the Dyson family lived at nearby Griffs House and also at Clay House. I know that George and his sons John and Jonathan made firebricks at Stannington and that a Jonathan Goodison made firebricks at Stannington but which family owned and operated which works?  It would seem logical that the Dyson family had the Griffs works and Goodison family the other but I don’t know. I assume that at some point the Dyson or Lomas family bought out the Goodison business and merged the two together. 

The reason I ask is that I’m interested in the casting pit refractory industry and am in the process of collecting material to use in a memoir or a website about the industry. I have quite a bit of material but would be interested in getting in contact with others with a similar interest - if there are any!

I can be contacted by email on    castingpitbricks@gmail.com  - note I only check this box every few days as it doesn’t get a lot of traffic!  

Otherwise I can be reached on    john.imcore@gmail.com 

PS I used to work at Dyson’s (various periods between 1964 and 1975) and at GR-Stein Refractories at Ranmoor head office  (1975-1983). My father worked as a nozzle and stopper maker at Thos. Wragg at Loxley from 1935 until he became ill and retired in 1977. My grand-father worked at Dyson’s (usually as a blacksmith) from around 1930 until his retirement in the 1940s.

You may be surprised at the amount of brickworks that operated in Sheffield, if I wasn’t in the middle of packing for a house move I would look through the 19th century and early 20th century Kelly’s directory’s.

On the general topic of brickworks its interesting to note that a brickworks could often be a very small enterprise eg a single kiln with around 6 cells which were used for a single company. This was the case with mines which used a lot of bricks so it made sense for the mine owner to make his own bricks.  I live in North Yorks now, where most ironstone mines were like this & I guess Sheffield coal mines would be the same too.

These are the brickworks that operated in Sheffield in 1862 and 1905, the 1905 list gives the letter "R" at the side of some which indicates Rotherham.

img137.jpg

img138.jpg

Hi,

Please find attached a handwritten copy of a list with addresses of Sheffield Brickworks.

I'm not sure where the original came from. This copy was given to Me years ago by Trevor who used to run 'Swifties' re-cycle yard on Abbeydale Road.

Wazzie Worrall.

Sheffield Brickworks.jpg

The 1903 os map sheffield shows the Aqueduct Brick yard which was on Darnall Road on the site of mine and my neighbours properties. This is opposite the old fire station. Our back garden is extremely clayey ground. Can't find much about it but the 1905 white's directory lists a couple of brick makers living at 214 Darnall Road which I guess would have been roughly opposite our properties. 

The Aqueduct Brick Yard was one of Coupe Brothers' enterprises, they had expanded from being carters into builders merchants and quarrying. On the OS map revised in 1921 it was shown as "Old Clay Pit".

8495618_AqueductBrickYard.png.b2ba0928d07cff5ae9d50bff3ebf69bf.png

Some newspaper cuttings:

1134508971_AqueductBrickYard1902.png.561f28d682aaa0b06b2577bcd09db40b.png

430308729_AqueductBrickYard1918.png.50c363b5f943c1b449cde9bdf87fb6d1.png

Slightly off topic, but I'm sure someone on the History site will know the answer.

When and why did house bricks change size? Anyone adding a house extension with different size bricks will have seen this.

Older houses have bigger bricks and smaller mortar beds compared with modern ones. This requires twice as much mortar to be applied which must be more labour intensive? 

1 hour ago, rover1949 said:

Slightly off topic, but I'm sure someone on the History site will know the answer.

When and why did house bricks change size? Anyone adding a house extension with different size bricks will have seen this.

Older houses have bigger bricks and smaller mortar beds compared with modern ones. This requires twice as much mortar to be applied which must be more labour intensive? 

Probably more profitable to make and transport easier. Just a guess.

12 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Thanks Steve. That's a different one further down the road from where I live. There is a modern housing estate built on that site. What I refer to is further up Darnall Road on the left hand side, about 100 yards above the Baptist church and just below what is now Darnall drive. 

19 hours ago, drol said:

Thanks Steve. That's a different one further down the road from where I live. There is a modern housing estate built on that site. What I refer to is further up Darnall Road on the left hand side, about 100 yards above the Baptist church and just below what is now Darnall drive. 

Sorry, made a mistake with Eleanor Street being mentioned.

aq_bk_wks_1905.jpg

sbys_darnalldv.jpg

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=53.39152&lon=-1.41733&layers=6&right=BingHyb