Can anyone tell me the name of this pub?

Guest upperthorpe lady

Guest upperthorpe lady

It was apparently at the bottom of Freedom Road, Walkley opposite the Freedom View pub, just on the corner so I'm told.

Would really like to know if anyone can remember it's name.

I've been told it was really small inside, like a little dram shop.

Thanks

Hi - and welcome to the site !

When you say it was on the corner - what roads was it on the corner of ? (freedom road and what other road ?)

I've looked at the 1951 licenced premises list and there's none listed for Freedom Road which makes me think it was either a temperance bar or it was listed as being on another road as it's address ?

It was apparently at the bottom of Freedom Road, Walkley opposite the Freedom View pub, just on the corner so I'm told.

Would really like to know if anyone can remember it's name.

I've been told it was really small inside, like a little dram shop.

Thanks

It's called The Bell Vue.

Is it this one ?

Belle Vue Hotel

282 Whitehouse la

Sheffield 6

Licencee in the 50's - Mrs. Sarah Ann Blair

Guest upperthorpe lady

The Belle Vue is just around the corner from where I'm on about. It would have been on the corner of Freedon Road & Walkley Road whereas the Belle Vue is at the bottom of Carr Road.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the replies.

(This all came about in the pub yesterday when a few ppl started talking about it & I've landed the job of finding out what its called)!!!!!!

Walkley Road eh ?

Any of these ?

Royal Oak 23 Walkley rd 6 Sheffield BO

Florist Inn 185 Walkley rd 6 Sheffield BO

Freedom Hotel 26 Walkley rd 6 Sheffield FL

Guest upperthorpe lady

I think the Royal Oak is looking closest as the address is opposite side of road etc.

I don't suppose you'd know where I can find pictures would you ?? Thanks

Guest wisewoodowl

I've checked in Douglas Lamb's book "A Pub On Every Corner" which gives the address of The Royal Oak as 23 Walkley Bank Road. The map does show it as being opposite The Freedom Hotel, which is also listed as being on Walkley Bank Road.

Guest nosy nellie

I've checked in Douglas Lamb's book "A Pub On Every Corner" which gives the address of The Royal Oak as 23 Walkley Bank Road. The map does show it as being opposite The Freedom Hotel, which is also listed as being on Walkley Bank Road.

The pub you are talking about is THE ROYAL OAK nicknamed TANTS no idea why.

Guest upperthorpe lady

Excellent stuff - well done everyone !

Now...

to find a photo of the place !

lol - now that is the challenge!!!! Cheers guys :)

Guest pete_s

The pub you are talking about is THE ROYAL OAK nicknamed TANTS no idea why.

The landlord's name was Tant Lindley.

I Hope this is the right pub got this picture from a book I've had for some time, from the descriptions given here sounds like the place The Freedom on the left and The Royal Oak on the right. From the detail in the book this was taken in 1974.

Guest Charlie Wag

We used to go in that pub when i was about 16 ( underage drinking ) lol the bus you can see in the picture was known as the little ticker for some reason .

I know the family who live here now. It is a private house and i will see if i can take some pics inside - it still is an interesting building and has a garden at the back which looks like a pub garden.

Anthony Linley, Landlord 1951, 23 Walkley Bank Road

any further (older) details anyone ?

Benjamin Burgin ran the Royal Oak in November 1882 (wedding notice for his daughter Clara Jane). In 1871 he had been a grocer at number 20.

Luther Greaves, new landlord at the Royal Oak was called before the bench at the Brewster Sessions and cautioned, in September 1899. The previous landlord had been convicted. Greaves was still there at the 1901 census.