Pub on every corner

Guest shazan

HI

Seen a thread with a few maps on taken from from the book,

can,t seem to find it now, anyone now where it is.

THANKS

Rich

Thanks Steve

My mate said there was a pub on penistone rd called the owl,

next to a pub called the don,I can remember the don I think

it was still open in 1974 because I worked nearby to it.

anyway Ive never heard of the owl.But it is there map 24

Cheers mate

Rich

Thanks Steve

Cheers mate

Rich

Nice to know you found the answer Rich,

and a big thank you to RichardB for providing the maps.

Thanks Steve

Cheers mate

Rich

Owl at 51 Penistone Road only recorded as open 1948-1951 (by my records). keeper James Hindle Davies

- later, alternative Owl was known as the Farfield for most of its life, also called The Owl (1980's ? ) and briefly The Muff Inn - flooded 2007, believe its still closed, maybe someone local can update us please ? Hillfoot Bridge area/376 Neepsend Lane.

Owl at 51 Penistone Road only recorded as open 1948-1951 (by my records). keeper James Hindle Davies

- later, alternative Owl was known as the Farfield for most of its life, also called The Owl (1980's ? ) and briefly The Muff Inn - flooded 2007, believe its still closed, maybe someone local can update us please ? Hillfoot Bridge area/376 Neepsend Lane.

The Owl was diagonly opposite The Royal Lancers,to the right facing from The Lancers.The Don was on the next corner diagonally opposite Crusteel Where I used to work. The owl had shut down early sixties but The Don was still open open 1970 because we used to play darts there.

The Owl was diagonly opposite The Royal Lancers,to the right facing from The Lancers.The Don was on the next corner diagonally opposite Crusteel Where I used to work. The owl had shut down early sixties but The Don was still open open 1970 because we used to play darts there.

The implication of my 1948-1951 comment, is, of course, that there is a bunch of data missing or not yet located - not that the place was only open 3 years or indeed 15 years with Poppychristina's input.

Don Inn, 1861, Penistone Road, Robert Bateman (Census image) - also 1871 (previous entry for Don Inn, Infirmary Road removed, data added to Don Inn, Penistone Road)

Re the Don Inn - I have been doing some research on my family tree recently and my Great Great Grandfather Thomas Robinson was the licensee from at least 1881 and through 1891 - he originates from Birmingham but was the start of a huge Robinson family in Sheffield......research is still work in progress!

17 hours ago, neddy said:

Correct junction of Bedford Street and Penistone Road, Weeds shop next door.

Yes you're right Neddy. We use to go for a penneth of broken biscuits to Weeds shop until we found mice poo in the bag.

Our mother use to say he'd swept them up off the floor, he had a daughter called Kathleen.

As for the Don pub, most of our dads went in there.

33 minutes ago, ukelele lady said:

Yes you're right Neddy. We use to go for a penneth of broken biscuits to Weeds shop until we found mice poo in the bag.

Our mother use to say he'd swept them up off the floor, he had a daughter called Kathleen.

As for the Don pub, most of our dads went in there.

Also had a son Steven he was on posh pawn at one time.