Old Smeeton

RichardB

Is it the posh part of Rotherham?

Erm, no !

Twas the nickname of a Sheffielder, already mentioned on here (Celebrities) and a significant (troublesome) part of Sheffields Industrial Past. (He also had a Pub). (If only you'd looked, you would have Saw)

Who/what was this please ? [Dates, location etc appreciated].

A person, 1860's, a Landlord incidently, did other stuff (the important bit in relation to this enquiry), initials WB.

A person, 1860's, a Landlord incidently, did other stuff (the important bit in relation to this enquiry), initials WB.

And a very nice little pub it was, such a great pity it was demolished. It was another boozer where I nearly came into too close contact with the law, this time for under-age drinking. It was almost closing time and I was just coming back out of the gents when I saw a clutch of bobbies walking in. I dodged back and knowing they would check the gents managed to climb out of a tiny window, not a job I could attempt nowadays. I waited under the window until I heard them go, then discovered I couldn't climb back. I was in the tiny back-yard and the way out was over a pair of wooden gates about 8 ft. high. Looking around I found piles of wooden beer crates which I placed under the gates to make a stair-case. After making my escape I found the pub was locked and bolted and I had to make my way home without my coat which was inside. Altogether a stirring experiance and it was a Saturday night.

HD

And a very nice little pub it was, such a great pity it was demolished. It was another boozer where I nearly came into too close contact with the law, this time for under-age drinking. It was almost closing time and I was just coming back out of the gents when I saw a clutch of bobbies walking in. I dodged back and knowing they would check the gents managed to climb out of a tiny window, not a job I could attempt nowadays. I waited under the window until I heard them go, then discovered I couldn't climb back. I was in the tiny back-yard and the way out was over a pair of wooden gates about 8 ft. high. Looking around I found piles of wooden beer crates which I placed under the gates to make a stair-case. After making my escape I found the pub was locked and bolted and I had to make my way home without my coat which was inside. Altogether a stirring experiance and it was a Saturday night.

HD

You were in a right Royal pickle by George, at times like that you have to remind yourself I Will get out of this, keep a Broad-mind, think with your head - even if I have to Carver hole in the wall to get out to the Street.

[subtle lol ]