Hello everyone

Guest 30_degrees

Guest 30_degrees

Hi everyone,

I've been around the site for a few days now but have only just got this far down the list of site options. I started life in Sheffield 5 and didn't stray far (except for the day I hid in the midwifes car whilst she visited my mother and enjoyed a ride round Sheff. until she found me sometime later) apart from visits to High Green and Chapeltown to see Grandparents etc. Then HG, Chap. and Tankersley where I worked at the golf course after leaving School. Later I moved to Peterborough where I stayed for 7yrs, returning to Crookesmoor to stay with my brother above the post Office in between the lights and Beenies. I moved to S26 some years ago after meeting my other half.

My interests are local history, anything to do with war, cars, motorbikes, spanners and other tools, travel, (fave times biking round France & Greece), was a Sapper in 106. 75 Regiment for not long enough.

Currently involved with younger brother Mark piecing together our family tree and transcribing the note books our Grandfather wrote whilst living in High Green and working at the Tank Factory. Both Great Grandparents were Publicans at The Railway Inn/Hotel? and Waggon & Horses. I have PM'd some members for more information but anyone with knowledge of these pubs please feel free to jump in. Also our Dads family came from the Norton area and dad worked at Norton Nursery's before volunteering for the Navy during the war. His mum had a couple of grocers shops in the Harvey Glough Rd area I think.

Mums family - Brown, Wetherall, Elliot, Pepper, Whyke. Dads - Taylor and siblings married to Peace, Wilkinson, McDonald. one of dads relatives Haydn Taylor swam the Channel France to England, other efforts included swimming the Humber.

I'll catch up with you in the forums.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris

Welcome to the site, judging from what you have said you should find much of interest on here.

Search the site, don't be afraid to reply to any topic no matter how old, very few topics are deemed closed here.

We are a friendly bunch, any problem just ask, someone will respond and help.

Have fun

Stuart

Hi everyone,

I've been around the site for a few days now but have only just got this far down the list of site options. ...

Hi Chris and Welcome to the Site, we look forward to your posts and questions, the Site is only as good as the input we get from people like you.

I've been here since ***** was a kitten and I certainly need help finding "stuff" - particularly stuff that I posted initially ! My record (up to now) is posting the same article three times - so don't hesitate to ask for help/advice; we'll do the best we can.

[New Admins/All Members, please note my editing of Chris's initial post; keeps us from constantly scrolling.

If you just want to reply, rub out everything between

; type your reply and you'll have a nice clean reply]

This reply created by removing everything between

when replying to the initial posting. Nice and clean, particularly important when replying to very long posts or posts with lots of attachments.

Hi Chris. I never got involved with motorbikes but cars and spanners have been my livelyhood, hobby and first love for nearly sixty years. I am looking round for another project at the moment. In the 1960s I did a lot of work on VW Beetles [ LHD to RHD, and converting mechanical brakes to hydraulic etc] so I will have a look on ebay. Regards, Mick.

Guest dragoncd

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to this site but must say how much I love it. I grew up on Lowedges in Sheffield but left some twenty odd years ago to travel the world with my ex squaddie husband. So many memories have been brought back to me since registering and I look forward to getting to know other members and sharing more memories.

Best wishes to everyone and thanks for a great site.

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to this site but must say how much I love it. I grew up on Lowedges in Sheffield but left some twenty odd years ago to travel the world with my ex squaddie husband. So many memories have been brought back to me since registering and I look forward to getting to know other members and sharing more memories.

Welcome to the forum! We look forward to your posts, as Richard said above, the forum's only as good as the posts from members like you, so the more the merrier!

Hi everyone,

Hello there Dragoncd.

I was at Lowedges for a few years in the 70's. First block of Maisonettes, by the roundabout at the top of Gervase Road.

We used to go to the pub on Greenhill Main Road in the village - not the Swan the other one. We used to go along to the Pitch and Put range which was at Bradway for a treat now and then. can't remember what it was called. Some famous golfers name I think.

Hello there Dragoncd.

I was at Lowedges for a few years in the 70's. First block of Maisonettes, by the roundabout at the top of Gervase Road.

We used to go to the pub on Greenhill Main Road in the village - not the Swan the other one. We used to go along to the Pitch and Put range which was at Bradway for a treat now and then. can't remember what it was called. Some famous golfers name I think.

I think Arnold Palmer is the name you are looking for, vox. Remember passing the place many times when I was young and wondering how it was that a world famous golfer had a little course in Sheffield.

I think Arnold Palmer is the name you are looking for, vox. Remember passing the place many times when I was young and wondering how it was that a world famous golfer had a little course in Sheffield.

I think there are a whole load of Arnold Palmer golf places around the country.

They use his name as a sort of "trade mark" for these pitch & put ranges.

Arnold Palmer, an American, was at his most famous in the 1960's so it gives you some idea of how long these courses have been around. <_<

I think there are a whole load of Arnold Palmer golf places around the country.

They use his name as a sort of "trade mark" for these pitch & put ranges.

Arnold Palmer, an American, was at his most famous in the 1960's so it gives you some idea of how long these courses have been around. <_<

There certainly are/were quite a few.

I recall the feeling of disappointment when seeing another Arnold Palmer course somewhere else - might have been Great Yarmouth - I suppose I wanted to think Sheffield had been chosen by Arnold Palmer personally. The term "franchise" was unknown to me (and probably everyone else) at the time.

Guest 30_degrees

I recall the feeling of disappointment when seeing another Arnold Palmer course somewhere else - might have been Great Yarmouth - I suppose I wanted to think Sheffield had been chosen by Arnold Palmer personally. The term "franchise" was unknown to me (and probably everyone else) at the time.

Nothing to do with Arnold palmer but I worked at Tankersley Park Golf Club in the 70's. The Captain at the time was David Hulley, a local butcher from Margetson Crescent, PX. The 1st fairway is famous for helping people have anything between a nose bleed and a heart attack but David was felled one day when someone drove off from the 1st tee, having not given David's party time to clear the fairway, result.. golfball between the shoulder blades at 150 ft. Yea, Ouch!! Click for TPGC History

That reminds me of this game my uncle had way back in the 70's - and I see it is still on the go! Anyone remember this? Not much use for taclking the pitch & putt in Concord Park

http://www.arnoldpalmerindoorgolfgame.com/products.html

I was walking across a golf course one day.

A golf ball came over the brow of the hill, whizzed past my head, bounced a couple of times, rolled onto a little flat lawn, hit a stick in the middle and fell down a hole.

A few minutes later a man came over the hill searching about.

He asked me if I'd seen his ball and I told him what had happened.

First he didn't believe me. He said it wasn't possible.

I took him to the little lawn and showed him the ball down the hole.

He started jumping up and down with joy shouting things like - fantastic, first time I've ever done that, Never thought I'd be able to do it.etc.

He asked if I'd be his witness when his friends caught up because they'd never believe him.

I asked "Is that what they call A Hole In One?"

He said "No, a hole in 25"

I was walking across a golf course one day.

A golf ball came over the brow of the hill, whizzed past my head, bounced a couple of times, rolled onto a little flat lawn, hit a stick in the middle and fell down a hole.

A few minutes later a man came over the hill searching about.

He asked me if I'd seen his ball and I told him what had happened.

First he didn't believe me. He said it wasn't possible.

I took him to the little lawn and showed him the ball down the hole.

He started jumping up and down with joy shouting things like - fantastic, first time I've ever done that, Never thought I'd be able to do it.etc.

He asked if I'd be his witness when his friends caught up because they'd never believe him.

I asked "Is that what they call A Hole In One?"

He said "No, a hole in 25"

Now I remember walking across Arbourthorne Playing Field years ago on a hot summers day.

This local bloke, a big hard case of a guy with no shirt on was lying on the grass half asleep watching his young son, still a toddler playing.

About 70 yards behind him was this other guy with a golf club practicing his shots.

He hit the ball hard, it came flying past me and hit this guy full in the back, - OUCH!!! must have hurt like hell.

He immediately jumped up, checked his young son was OK and turned round to see me and this other guy running up the hill with a golf club to find his ball.

I pointed at the man with the golf club as you could sort of tell what was going to happen next.

I then sat back and watched as this guy went for the other bloke and practically wrapped his golf club around his neck!!!

Guest 30_degrees

I then sat back and watched as this guy went for the other bloke and practically wrapped his golf club around his neck!!!

Yes it does hurt like hell. It's inevitable that if you work in an environment where missiles are wizzing by, sooner or later you're going to cop for one. Three of us shared the Saturday morning chore at TPGC of making sure the course was fit to play on. It was summer time and the greens needed cutting, the machine was a Ransoms Hahn triple head mower that you rode. I was cutting the 14th green as a golfer tee'd off from the 15th tee, slicing the ball in my direction whilst my back was to him. FORE! came after the ball hit me on the calf. I had 4 1/2 greens to cut and then cycle home to PX. I was in agony :angry:

Dog walkers frequently let their pooches poo on the fairways or semi rough. The first you knew about it was as a t**d hit you in the back, on the head or stuck to the inside of the tractor windscreen. <_< and you though you had the best job!

Mums family - Brown, Wetherall, Elliot, Pepper, Whyke. Dads - Taylor and siblings married to Peace, Wilkinson, McDonald. one of dads relatives Haydn Taylor swam the Channel France to England, other efforts included swimming the Humber.

Hi,

I know you haven't been on the forum for a while but thought it was worth a try. My "area of study" is Pepper so would be interested in anything you know. I have the accounts books of a Sheffield attorney's clerk called Robert Pepper, an anscestor of mine, are you of any relation to this?

Thanks,

JSP