Thomas Darwin anvil

Guest Robert Mayo

Guest Robert Mayo

I have an old anvil made by Thomas Darwin and i am looking for info as to when his foundery was in busness and in what year it closed. I know that he was in the 1787 listing of anvil makers. Thankyou for any help and info you are able to give me.

Bob

Hello and Welcome to the Site Bob

That'll be an old anvil then ? Look to see a picture if possible.

This from a previous Anvil posting of mine; 1787 seems to be his only entry in the Trade Directories; unless anyone else knows any differently.

[Jeremy might have some further information on the oldest of Sheffield Directories ... possibly]

Guest Robert Mayo

Thanks Richard

I guess i should have posted photos in the first place . This is a post anvil it is approx. 35cm long with a face that is 11.5cm X 14 cm and wieghs 40 lbs.

Bob

A real piece of history there, as useable today as it was back then. Hope we can trace "yer Man" in a bit more details.

Thank you.

Guest Robert Mayo

I hope to find out a little more about Thomas Darwin as well it seems there is not a whole lot of info.

Thankyou Bob

Don't forget this top tip before you start banging your anvil lol

"that the anvils at Birley Hay were seated on a bed of locally grown heather. Another comment about the seating of anvils appears in the book “Memories of a Sheffield Toolmaker” by Ashley Iles “it must be set in horse manure. Anything but horse manure will set solid and the percussion (unable to dissipate through the anvil) will return up the hammer shaft, in time causing paralysis”."

Guest Robert Mayo

Don't foget this tp tip before you start banging your anvil lol

"that the anvils at Birley Hay were seated on a bed of locally grown heather. Another comment about the seating of anvils appears in the book “Memories of a Sheffield Toolmaker” by Ashley Iles “it must be set in horse manure. Anything but horse manure will set solid and the percussion (unable to dissipate through the anvil) will return up the hammer shaft, in time causing paralysis”."

I will keep that in mind when i go to set it up, but i think i can find something better lol.

It seems that Thomas Darwin was still in bus. but had taken on some partners in 1857 as shown here.

http://www.n.f.wilson.btinternet.co.uk/pdf/809-834.pdf

Cheers Bob

Guest Robert Mayo

Not sure what I'm looking for in the n.f.wilson link Bob ?

If you scroll down to page 24 it shows Thomas Darwin had a house on Rock St.

and below that it shows a company called Darwin,Seale& Milner makers of cast steel rollers.

I thought they might be rellevant but i could be wrong not knowing the area Canadian Eh :rolleyes: .

Bob

If you scroll down to page 24 it shows Thomas Darwin had a house on Rock St.

and below that it shows a company called Darwin,Seale& Milner makers of cast steel rollers.

I thought they might be rellevant but i could be wrong not knowing the area Canadian Eh :rolleyes: .

Bob

A more likely candidate I would think :

Thomas Darwin, Manufacturer of Cast Steel rollers, silversmith, tinners and braziers tools, Soho Rolling Mill, Forge Lane (1822) - quite close to Shude Hill if memory serves ...

Map-fairy ? (Early)

Guest Robert Mayo

Thomas Darwin, Manufacturer of Cast Steel rollers, silversmith, tinners and braziers tools, Soho Rolling Mill, Forge Lane (1822) - quite close to Shude Hill if memory serves ...

Map-fairy ? (Early)

You are correct i found this, Forge lane, Shudehill in this directory http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/S...field22Dry.html along with this listing Darwin John and Thomas, manufacturers of cast steel rollers, silversmiths', tinners', and braziers' tools, presses, and press screws, Soho rolling mill, Forge lane

Bob

You are correct i found this, Forge lane, Shudehill in this directory http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/S...field22Dry.html along with this listing Darwin John and Thomas, manufacturers of cast steel rollers, silversmiths', tinners', and braziers' tools, presses, and press screws, Soho rolling mill, Forge lane

Bob

Nice work Bob; there are other Directories : Holden's 1811, Sheffield 1781, 1828 - worth looking out for yer Man.

Map-fairy ? (Early)

Forge Ln - Shude Hill/Bakers Hill to Pond Hill