A Paulson Sheffield

Guest Bernard

Guest Bernard

Afternoon All

I've just come into possession of a full cutlery set marked 'A Paulson Sheffield'. The only other markings are 'stainless steel' and 'X-SS'.

After a search of the internet I cannot find any mention of Mr Paulson!

Can any of you guys throw any light on the company please?

Many thanks in advance

BernardB

PS I'm not from Sheffield but I do like this site - keep with it!

Bernard said:
Afternoon All

I've just come into possession of a full cutlery set marked 'A Paulson Sheffield'. The only other markings are 'stainless steel' and 'X-SS'.

After a search of the internet I cannot find any mention of Mr Paulson!

Can any of you guys throw any light on the company please?

Many thanks in advance

BernardB

PS I'm not from Sheffield but I do like this site - keep with it!

Struggling with this; I don't even know what a carcing knife is - a speeling mistake presumably ! lol

Hand forged double sheaf carcing knife, A Paulson Sheffield.

Guest Bernard
RichardB said:
Struggling with this; I don't even know what a carcing knife is - a speeling mistake presumably ! lol

Sorry RichardB I may be new to the site and not understand where we are at but what has 'carcing' knife got to do with my question?

Regards

BernardB

Sorry RichardB I may be new to the site and not understand where we are at but what has 'carcing' knife got to do with my question?

Regards

BernardB

It's the only reference I could find to "A Paulson" of Sheffield. This reinforces the fact they existed; may give some indication to a date e.g. if it's Stainless it has to be after the invention of Stainless and may encourage others with different resources to "have a look". I'm fine with Victorian Pubs, what we need is a 1925 Trade Directory or someone with access to the 1911 Census to look for Paulson.

Didn't mean to be obtuse, but Paulson is not a well-known name, if we now have two references to the Company then hopefully we can get more.

Welcome to the Site Bernard, we will do our best to help.

Good Luck, hope someone else can come up with more information.

Initially I'd have guessed it was Poulson (a known, relatively common Sheffield name), but your items and another item shows we have a lot more looking to do.

I came across this but no mention of Sheffield.

'Chicago Cutlery began in 1930 conditioning knives and catered particularly to professional butchers and packing plants. As the demand for sharp knives grew, Chicago Cutlery was introduced by its founder, Alfred Paulson, and Chicago Cutlery evolved into a knife manufacturing business for the meat and poultry industry .......'

RichardB said:

Could the referance mean double shear steel carving knife ? In which case the knife may be much earlier. Double Shear Steel was made from blister steel folded and forged to spread the impurities through the blade. It was extensively used for knife blades before the advent of crucible melted steel, I understand. This would make it well before Mr. Brierley's invention. I understand that the stainless marking was used before the invention of stainless steel as we know it. Just a thought but you never know.

HD

Guest Bernard

Example of Firth Brealey Stainless, X-SS

eBay X-SS

Still no idea what, if anything, X-SS means.

Thanks for trying guys - hopefully it may ring a bell with somebody somewhere.

BernardB

On 09/01/2010 at 12:30, Bernard said:

I've just come into possession of a full cutlery set marked 'A Paulson Sheffield'. The only other markings are 'stainless steel' and 'X-SS'. After a search of the internet I cannot find any mention of Mr Paulson!

I just thought I would try to revive this old topic in case any new members have come across this maker. Here is an A. Paulson cutlery set on Ebay at the moment priced at 29.99. The same set is also advertised on a few other selling sites so perhaps the vendor has a few of them

QUOTE - Vintage 1950's A Paulson Sheffield 12Pce Faux Bone Fish Knives & Forks Set Boxed
Vintage A Paulson Cutlery Set    29.99
An original vintage circa 1940's/50's 12 piece fish knife & fork set, made from what appears to be real or faux bone and Sheffield steel. They are made by A Paulson of Sheffield, history of this company is hard to find so it may have been they were only in business for a short time, there's not many of their products around now making this a rare set. They come with display box too.
Knives measure 20.5cm long, forks are 18.5cm long - UNQUOTE

paulson.jpg

paulson_2.jpg

mark.png

• Like 1

Albert Paulson cutlery manufacturer, 28 Sidney Street, Sheff 1.
(1957 Kelly's directory extract), Albert also appears in the 1965 edition, at the same address.

sid_st. 1957 dir..jpg