Sheffield Corporation bus accidents.

Waterside Echo

Guest bus man

Sorry, but the accident involving 386 was on the same side as the August 2nd incident. W/E.

Very sorry waterside but I belive the pd2 was on the quarry side and the Regent V on the other side , I would be intrested to see see your reasons for your views

Guest transit

Very sorry waterside but I belive the pd2 was on the quarry side and the Regent V on the other side , I would be intrested to see see your reasons for your views

...an older pic , but would this be the "quarry" area ?..... (known as Woodside Brickyard back then) - now the site of Homebase , Chesterfield Rd.

One of the first Airfix models I made as a kid...

Isn't the grey one a Velocette not a Leader?

Hand gear change. Police used them in the 60's.

Guest 30_degrees

Isn't the grey one a Velocette not a Leader?

Hand gear change. Police used them in the 60's.

Yes you're right slip of the mouse, well spotted. The red and white Leader like the one in the pic. gave me many a headache in building it, nearly as many as the Varadero I've got problems with now :(

Yes you're right slip of the mouse, well spotted. The red and white Leader like the one in the pic. gave me many a headache in building it, nearly as many as the Varadero I've got problems with now :(

But at least it is the Velocette LE model so the confusion with the Ariel LEader is excusable.

Nice bike the Velocette LE, only 200cc but in common use with police forces until the late 1960's

Guest 30_degrees

But at least it is the Velocette LE model so the confusion with the Ariel LEader is excusable.

Nice bike the Velocette LE, only 200cc but in common use with police forces until the late 1960's

Yes, I remember seeing the odd one, they looked to me like they were made out of packing cases and painted with battleship grey undercoat. The first time I was stopped by her majesties finest was by a police motorcyclist on a Norton. I was riding my Tiger cub up Tunwell Avenue. My bike had a current MOT but the front brake was always hopeless no matter what you did to it (even Leather and Simpson threw the towel in) and when he tried to lock the brake, of course the bike moved forward. All I got though was advice. Curiously as much as technology has advanced since then the biggest problem I have with my current bike is the brakes!

Yes, I remember seeing the odd one, they looked to me like they were made out of packing cases and painted with battleship grey undercoat. The first time I was stopped by her majesties finest was by a police motorcyclist on a Norton. I was riding my Tiger cub up Tunwell Avenue. My bike had a current MOT but the front brake was always hopeless no matter what you did to it (even Leather and Simpson threw the towel in) and when he tried to lock the brake, of course the bike moved forward. All I got though was advice. Curiously as much as technology has advanced since then the biggest problem I have with my current bike is the brakes!

The Velocette LE was always refered to by us as the "Noddy Bike" for some reason, - probably to do with its appearance.

Hi `busman` We only measured up on the downside. The buildings of the brickworks were still there on the opposite side at that time, and I don`t remember a drop there. I am still trying to find a good photo of the area. W/E.

Took these today.

Looking up towards Chesterfield Rd from Little London and the same from Athol Rd.

(They've knocked down the factory on Athol Rd since last time I was there.)

It must have been somewhere along here. (The downside one as you call it.)

Not much detail - its been a grey day. :)

I couldn't find anywhere to get a shot from Smithywood Cres but I'll try some other time.

Took these today.

Looking up towards Chesterfield Rd from Little London and the same from Athol Rd.

(They've knocked down the factory on Athol Rd since last time I was there.)

It must have been somewhere along here. (The downside one as you call it.)

Not much detail - its been a grey day. :)

I couldn't find anywhere to get a shot from Smithywood Cres but I'll try some other time.

Evening `vox`. Look on Picturesheffield for u01745 u01749 and s12444 these show the brickyard on Chesterfield Road. Both bus accidents in 1965 were on the stretch of road in front of the brickworks, a few hundred yards on the to city side before Smithywood Crescent. W/E.

Link to .. Woodside Brickyard & u01745

I posted this before about a year ago.

A picture my cousin sent to me.

Same crash, different angle.

My cousins are on the left, amongst the kids looking on.

The van came down Derbyshire Lane so the Google map is exactly right.

Guest bus man

Do trams count? from Sheffield Pictorial by David Richardson

The intresting thing was that every child within a 90 mile radius appeared : as there were toffees all over the road , cant remember if it was this incident or another but the bus which carried the "transport " staff was the same fleet number as the tram !

It proves how efficient modern brakes are as thre was a regular occurance of vehicels running down derbyshire lane I cant remember any in recent years the last one was around 1968

not sure if this has been seen before

Anyone know the year and location??

Don't know the year, but I think it might be the old Fire Station on Division Street, this being the route taken towards the city centre by route 60 (and other routes) for many years.

Guest bus man

Post 42 is the old cetnral fire station on division st i have the actual file cant remember date of hand but think its 1963

.... I also had a cutting from around '75 of when SY National 88 -JDT 438N ,was also involved in a serious garden wall /front end type accident , and while the bus underwent major frontal rebuild in Central Works - including suspension- this eventually led to the "discovery" of being able to lower the front suspension with the flick of a switch , enabling the entrance step to be almost level with the pathway ! Such was the "eureka" moment - that the bus was decorated with "THIS IS THE KNEELING NATIONAL" lettering down both sides before going down to the BBC studios for an appearance on "Tommorows World" .Such was the innovation - it led to the development of the "low floor" step access we have today. (pic 1 in later days)

Another development a little later for 'deckers was the "split / stepped entrance where half of the doorway entrance was 2 steps high , and the other stepped half was 3 steps high. First example -demo- was on a Park Royal Jumbo , and led to most new deckers ordered having this style of step as standard during the 80's. (pic 2)

With regard to the "split/stepped entrance". My recollection is that the first 'decker' to trial this was Fleetline/ECW - 800 - GWA 800N. This was odered by STD but actually delivered to SYPTE. I do not recall an earlier Park Royal Jumbo so modified but stand to be corrected.

(NB - Not sure if the administrator might wish to redirect/duplicate the comments about kneeling nationals and split steps into a more apprpriate topic)

Anyone got a photo of the Sheffield single-decker on the Manchester run which crashed into the canopy of Manchester Victoria railway station causing its partial collapse onto the bus ? Forget the year, but suspect late pre-war or early post war period. Not quite relevant, but there was also some tram incident by Firth Park library which I think involved a child cyclist who couldn't stop his bike running down the steep hill onto the tram track. Another bus crash was on Pond Street in the 1970's I think, between two buses if memory serves me right ? Another 70's incident was a Sheffield bus which was involved in an accident with a car somewhere near Intake. I think the bus, a Walter Alexander back-loader, caught fire and the lady car driver was killed. As a driver for STD, the worst incident I witnessed was when an Atlantean ran over and killed an old lady in Waingate, just up from the Bull and Mouth pub. Later that day, on an Atlantean on the 82's going up Ecclesall Road, my conductor was talking loudly about the incident when a woman came to get off saying " That was my mother you were talking about, I've just had to go and identify the body." I had to switch off and console her on the pavement.

Thanks W. Echo, worse than I thought, the whole roof's down, not just the pavement canopy !