Sheffield Corporation bus accidents.

Waterside Echo

For many years I had a cutting about the accident on Gleadless Common in 1970, when an AEC Swift took out a garden wall or two, but it seems to have disappeared in one of my house moves over the years. I must have kept it because it was on my local route, as accident reports are not something I made a habit of keeping.

I like the fact that that in the last paragraph in your cutting the bus was "careering down the slop" :o

Guest transit

For many years I had a cutting about the accident on Gleadless Common in 1970, when an AEC Swift took out a garden wall or two, but it seems to have disappeared in one of my house moves over the years. I must have kept it because it was on my local route, as accident reports are not something I made a habit of keeping.

I like the fact that that in the last paragraph in your cutting the bus was "careering down the slop" :o

......the Swift you mention (23- TWE 23F) happened on June 1st 1970 , and the bus swerved to miss a young child on a bike ,and actually veered off the road and ran through 6 gardens before coming to rest in the garden on Gleadless Common! It was so embedded that it had to be craned out over the rooftops ! When eventually back on the ground it could have been driven away - but as a safety precaution , it was towed !!!

.... I also had a cutting from around '75 of when SY National 88 -JDT 438N ,was also involved in a serious garden wall /front end type accident , and while the bus underwent major frontal rebuild in Central Works - including suspension- this eventually led to the "discovery" of being able to lower the front suspension with the flick of a switch , enabling the entrance step to be almost level with the pathway ! Such was the "eureka" moment - that the bus was decorated with "THIS IS THE KNEELING NATIONAL" lettering down both sides before going down to the BBC studios for an appearance on "Tommorows World" .Such was the innovation - it led to the development of the "low floor" step access we have today. (pic 1 in later days)

Another development a little later for 'deckers was the "split / stepped entrance where half of the doorway entrance was 2 steps high , and the other stepped half was 3 steps high. First example -demo- was on a Park Royal Jumbo , and led to most new deckers ordered having this style of step as standard during the 80's. (pic 2)

Guest transit

Is picture 1 outside The Penny Black please ?

...yes Richard , which was the stop for the City Clipper 500 route, during the days of the old "Pond St" bus station (pre "Sheffield Interchange")

It become an ideal base for the Bendi's !!!!.......

I was passing on the 53 at the time, so I will start off with this one. W/E.

Was this accident at approximately this location,

Courtesy of Google SV

I remember travelling home from school in Dronfield to Leadmill rd and seeing this (or a similar) accident. It has always stuck in my mind, mainly because it could have been a lot more serious.

Was this accident at approximately this location,

Courtesy of Google SV

I remember travelling home from school in Dronfield to Leadmill rd and seeing this (or a similar) accident. It has always stuck in my mind, mainly because it could have been a lot more serious.

Opposite Carpet Right, the long concrete wall with railings on top. This was the scene of another bus accident earlier the same year.

Opposite Carpet Right, the long concrete wall with railings on top. This was the scene of another bus accident earlier the same year.
I have not found any photos of the May 25th accident yet.

Guest bus man

...yes Richard , which was the stop for the City Clipper 500 route, during the days of the old "Pond St" bus station (pre "Sheffield Interchange")

It become an ideal base for the Bendi's !!!!.......

It was ideal for bendis because that is what it was moved for up until the bendis arrived it was in the bus station think stand b1

Guest bus man

THIS IS A CAN OF WORMS

I knew about the accident in the quarry witht eh bus heading to woodseats but never heard of the one which the press cutting refers to .

Iam awaiting for info regarding what the buses were or at least the quarry one

This is getting intresting can members confirm that

There were two accidents on chesterfield road in the stretch between what is now the tyre place and the bottom of woodbank cres

INCIDENT A

Involved a bus going into , what was then , the quarry and is now the DIY store

INCDENT B

Which the photos refer to involves a bus travelling to city and going through the wall and railings opoiste the diy store that is now on the site of the quarry.

At the memoent some of the info and phoots dont add up but this may be me

As an aside have you noticed the registrations of the sheffield city police motor bikes !

THIS IS A CAN OF WORMS

I knew about the accident in the quarry witht eh bus heading to woodseats but never heard of the one which the press cutting refers to .

Iam awaiting for info regarding what the buses were or at least the quarry one

This is getting intresting can members confirm that

There were two accidents on chesterfield road in the stretch between what is now the tyre place and the bottom of woodbank cres

INCIDENT A

Involved a bus going into , what was then , the quarry and is now the DIY store

INCDENT B

Which the photos refer to involves a bus travelling to city and going through the wall and railings opoiste the diy store that is now on the site of the quarry.

At the memoent some of the info and phoots dont add up but this may be me

As an aside have you noticed the registrations of the sheffield city police motor bikes !

I believe both bikes are Ariel Leaders. And yes, first accident 25th May 1965, second was 2nd August 1965.

Hi Busman. I was in driving school when the first accident happened on the 25th May 1965. I remember very little of this, but I can tell you that I went to the scene after the bus had been recovered to measure up with chief driving instructor Charlie Deamer. This was on the to city side, and a bit higher up from where the second accident would take place. I think the accident on the from city side was later on. W/E.

Guest bus man

Incident B 2nd August 1965 - bus over railings Chesterfield Road

the bus was Regent V , 447 (7447 WJ - can someone confirm reg ) the last press report in the star was the 3rd August which reported that "it was hoped to recover the bus today" providing that a suitable crane could be used. I am relably informed that they obviously couldnt find one.

The bus was recovered after around 3 days after they built a tempary road to remove the bus with out lifting.

I am told that 447 could always be identified from the others in the batch as it recieved wider body strips during its rebuild both inside and outside !

Incdent A the bus in the quarry there is a report in the star with no pics - this intreques me as I have definatley seen shots of it been lifted out I think it was a exposed radiator leyland PD.

Iam unable to provide bus details one problem is that teh sheffield history section in the central library don't have M&T news for 1964 - 1968 - this would tell me the bus number (If anyone as to ask what M&T news stands for then I am ashamed that you are in this section ! (M&T news is the monthly magazine of the sheffield omnibus enthusiast's society )

the bus was Regent V , 447 (7447 WJ - can someone confirm reg )

Regent 447 was indeed 7447WJ, bus man.

the bus was Regent V , 447 (7447 WJ - can someone confirm reg ) the last press report in the star was the 3rd August which reported that "it was hoped to recover the bus today" providing that a suitable crane could be used. I am relably informed that they obviously couldnt find one.

The bus was recovered after around 3 days after they built a tempary road to remove the bus with out lifting.

I am told that 447 could always be identified from the others in the batch as it recieved wider body strips during its rebuild both inside and outside !

Incdent A the bus in the quarry there is a report in the star with no pics - this intreques me as I have definatley seen shots of it been lifted out I think it was a exposed radiator leyland PD.

This has echoes of the STD National, and I was wrong there. But, the fact still remains that on the 25th May 1965 I was at the scene of a accident after a bus had been recovered, and it was on the to city side just before the quarry. I too remember seeing a photo of the bus that finished up in the brickyard [quarry] at a later date,and a AEC front entrance 1300 type on service 53 keeps comming to mind. W/E.

Guest transit

Iam unable to provide bus details one problem is that teh sheffield history section in the central library don't have M&T news for 1964 - 1968 - this would tell me the bus number (If anyone as to ask what M&T news stands for then I am ashamed that you are in this section ! (M&T news is the monthly magazine of the sheffield omnibus enthusiast's society )

Hi Busman - all i know is when i used to travel from Hemsworth to town (sevice 20/33) on a Sat Shop with my Grandma - late 60's- as a young boy ! - for some reason i always wanted to sit on the upper deck front seats ,so grandma also had to!. As you'll know the 33 route went down from the Hemsworth water tower , down past Graves Park , and then down towards the very steep Derbyshire Lane which as a young 5-8 year old was for me like riding "the big one " at Blackpool ! but must have terrified my grandma looking back as she must have been worrying if we would ever stop by the bottom !! But then we turned right onto Chestefield Rd , and if i was sat on the left of the upper deck , i always got that view of the sheer 100 ft drop downwards which i was terrified of which i still think of now when i pass !

so thanks gents , for letting me know some 40 years on , that we would have been saved by trees, albeit still terrifying !

Hi Busman - all i know is when i used to travel from Hemsworth to town (sevice 20/33) on a Sat Shop with my Grandma - late 60's- as a young boy ! - for some reason i always wanted to sit on the upper deck front seats ,so grandma also had to!. As you'll know the 33 route went down from the Hemsworth water tower , down past Graves Park , and then down towards the very steep Derbyshire Lane which as a young 5-8 year old was for me like riding "the big one " at Blackpool ! but must have terrified my grandma looking back as she must have been worrying if we would ever stop by the bottom !! But then we turned right onto Chestefield Rd , and if i was sat on the left of the upper deck , i always got that view of the sheer 100 ft drop downwards which i was terrified of which i still think of now when i pass !

so thanks gents , for letting me know some 40 years on , that we would have been saved by trees, albeit still terrifying !

Hi transit. Were you old enough to remember the old road near the golf club before the by-pass was built through the wood. When you look at that old road now its hard to believe that it was wide enough for two buses to pass on the bend. W/E.

Guest bus man

Hi transit. Were you old enough to remember the old road near the golf club before the by-pass was built through the wood. When you look at that old road now its hard to believe that it was wide enough for two buses to pass on the bend. W/E.

I doubt it hes still in nappies he he (Bus Man heads towards car to escape before transit hits him)

Guest bus man

The accident at the other side of the road involved NWE 586 - Bus No 386 , surprisingly the bus was repaired even though it only lasted while october 65 when the entire batch was withdrawn.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRA...oodbankcres.jpg

if you look closley you will see the reamins of the Sheffield Corp fencing which surrounded the quarry , all the fencing on the other side of the road was brick this therefore confirms the location

THANKS TO MEMBERS OF THE SHEFFIELD TRANSPORT STUDY GROUP FOR THERE HELP

http://www.sheffieldtransport.com/

Guest 30_degrees

I was passing on the 53 at the time, so I will start off with this one. W/E.

I do have some photos of an accident on Wordsworth Ave in the late 70's. I tried to flog the snaps to the Sheffield Star but they wer'nt interested and now someone is; I haven't the foggiest where they are. he he

I do have some photos of an accident on Wordsworth Ave in the late 70's. I tried to flog the snaps to the Sheffield Star but they wer'nt interested and now someone is; I haven't the foggiest where they are. he he

That sounds about right 30 degrees. A lot of the stuff I have horded over the years has either got lost or thrown out. I have been looking for those Woodseats crash photos for years, they turned up while I was looking for something else a couple of weeks ago. Thanks anyway. W/E.

Guest bus man

Whereabouts on Wordsworth Ave ? was it a double decker can you remember route it was on ?

Guest 30_degrees

Whereabouts on Wordsworth Ave ? was it a double decker can you remember route it was on ?

Hi bus man,

Double Decker, Route 49, the bus was Sheffield bound and it collided with a HB Viva I think near the bus stop between Margetson Crescent and the Catholic Club. The car was proper trashed and the F/NS side of the bus was wide open.

I don't have pic's of this accident but in the winter of 73 I think it was, my brother was trapped by a mini on Colley Crescent by junction with Wheata rd, when a bus slid down the hill on ice, hitting the mini and trapping my brother. The bus finished up across the junction. My motorbike carbureter had frozen and I walked past the accident after pushing my DT175 part of the way from Tankersley. It was only after I got home that I found out it was my little brother.

I'll post the bus pic's when I find them.

The accident at the other side of the road involved NWE 586 - Bus No 386 , surprisingly the bus was repaired even though it only lasted while october 65 when the entire batch was withdrawn.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRA...oodbankcres.jpg

if you look closley you will see the reamins of the Sheffield Corp fencing which surrounded the quarry , all the fencing on the other side of the road was brick this therefore confirms the location

THANKS TO MEMBERS OF THE SHEFFIELD TRANSPORT STUDY GROUP FOR THERE HELP

http://www.sheffieldtransport.com/

Sorry, but the accident involving 386 was on the same side as the August 2nd incident. W/E.