They also served

dunsbyowl1867

In no particular order. Footballers with & Sheffield connection who later owned or ran a pub/beerhouse.

William "Fatty" Foulke(s)

Played 299 League games and 41 FA Cup Games for Sheffield United between 1894/5-1904/5.

Ran a shop/beerhouse "The Duke" at 11 Matilda Street 1908-1910.

William "Billy" Marsden

Played for Sheffield Wednesday 1924-1930 202 League Games & 3 goals.

& England 3 caps for England 1930 vs Wales,Scotland & Germany.

Ran "Robin Hood" Millhouses.

Robin Hood Inn

Millhouses

Open 1825

Closed

Span 183

Comments

Earlier

1948 William Marsden

Later "Crosspool Tavern"

Arthur Edward "Ted" Catlin

Played for Sheffield Wednesday 1930-1939 209 League Games.

& 5 caps for England 1937 vs Wales, Hungary, Norway and Sweden.

Ran

"Anvil"

106 Stannington Road, Malin Bridge S6

Open 1825 Closed

Comments Mentioned in Sheffield Flood documents.

1948 Ted Catlin, Ex Sheffield Wednesday player became Landlord

Earlier

1948 Arthur Edward Catlin

1951 Arthur Edward Catlin

"Rose & Crown" Which one ? Stannington?

"Kelvin Grove"

Kelvin Grove

227 Infirmary Road, Gatefield, S6

Open 1833 Closed 1959 Span 126

Comments 1960's Jack Tate (PictureSheffield)

Earlier

1948 Arthur Edward Catlin

"Magnet"

Southey Green Road, S5

Open 1951 Closed

Picture Sheffield Link

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s22023

'The Magnet at Southey is a well known pubin Sheffield, set in the middle of one of our city's large housing estates, and it has always been well patronised. A popular ex captainof Sheffield Wednesday (Ted Catlin) was the landlord here at one time. Two things stick in my mind about this place, one that for several years after the last war. every Sunday morning, there used to be a flourishing 'tossing ring' pon the forecourt just outside - the introduction of the Panda cars put paid to this. The other feature tending to make thispub unique was that during the war, most of the customers used to carry their own pots or glasses about with them. This practice had arisen because the pub often became so crowded that there were insufficient pots to serve all those who required them and the regulars upset at having to wait until the dirty pots were collected and washed again, ensured that on there next visit they would not have to wait by purloining a pot each and bringing it along with then whenever they visited the pub'

Roy Davey Pubs and People

Ellis J Rimmer

Played for Sheffield Wednesday 1928-1938 - 382 League games & 7 goals

Ran

Hallamshire House

49 Common Side, Crookes

Open 1893 Closed

1948 Ellis J Rimmer

David "Bronco" Layne

Played for Sheffield Wednesday 1962-64 & 1972/3. Scored 52 goals in 74 League games.

Ran

"The Crown" Brightside

21 Meadow Hall Road

Open 1901

Closed 2008 (kept by David Bronco Layne, ex-SWFC)

Span 107

Tommy Crawshaw

Played for The Wednesday 1894-1908. Scored 25 goals in 418 League games.

Won 10 England caps.

Ran

"Sportsmans Group" Owlerton

Sportsman Group/Grove

851 Penistone Road

Open 1833

Closed 1989 (Demolished in ?)

Not named on list

"Yorkshire man" Burgess Street

Yorkshire Man/Yorkshireman's Arms/Lion's Lair

31 Burgess Street

Open 1796 Closed Span 212

Comments

Earlier

1925 Thomas H Crawshaw

1948 Thomas H Crawshaw

1951 Thomas H Crawshaw

Peter Swan

Played for Sheffield Wednesday 1955/1964 & 1972/73

League games - 275 games

FA Cup - 14 games

League Cup - 2 games

Fairs Cup - 10 games

England - 19 (Full) Caps, 3 Under 23 caps, 1 Youth Cap, 6 Football League Matches.

Ran

St Helens - Chesterfield

The Three Horseshoes - Brimington

Travellers' Inn - was this the one? 1968

784 Attercliffe Road

Open 1825 Closed Span 183

Peter Swan

Played for Sheffield Wednesday 1955 - 1964 & 1972/73

League games - 275 games

FA Cup - 14 games

League Cup - 2 games

Fairs Cup - 10 games

England - 19 (Full) Caps, 3 Under 23 caps, 1 Youth Cap, 6 Football League Matches.

Ran

St Helens - Chesterfield

The Three Horseshoes - Brimington

Travellers' Inn - was this the one? 1968

784 Attercliffe Road

Open 1825 Closed Span 183

Ernest Blenkinsop Sheffield Wednesday English International kept a pub at Crosspool

Ernest Blenkinsop Sheffield Wednesday English International kept a pub at Crosspool

Mason's Arms, 2 Carson Road, S10 (1948 and 1951)

In no particular order. Footballers with & Sheffield connection who later owned or ran a pub/beerhouse.

William "Fatty" Foulke

Played 299 League games and 41 FA Cup Games for Sheffield United between 1894/5–1904/5.

Ran a shop/beerhouse "The Duke" at 11 Matilda Street 1908-1910.

No names no pack drill (and no writs) but I once observed a little bit of skullduggery by a retired Sheffield football player.

I was sat in the pub with my cousin, the singer Martin Brand, and we watched a bloke finish his drink and place it on the bar on his way out. Before he had taken three paces the landlord produced a full pint on the bar and shouted to the poor customer that he would have to pay for it was drawn. Another customer told us that he pulled that stunt a number of times a day. He always had a full pint drawn under the bar. Needless to say we left our glasses on the table.

HD

No names no pack drill (and no writs) but I once observed a little bit of skullduggery by a retired Sheffield football player.

I was sat in the pub with my cousin, the singer Martin Brand, and we watched a bloke finish his drink and place it on the bar on his way out. Before he had taken three paces the landlord produced a full pint on the bar and shouted to the poor customer that he would have to pay for it was drawn. Another customer told us that he pulled that stunt a number of times a day. He always had a full pint drawn under the bar. Needless to say we left our glasses on the table.

HD

There must have been other bad deeds done by Publicans, I've had a pint or two in a Sheffield Pub or two in my time (bear in mind I left Sheffield aged 19) but I can't say I've ever been "done" or had a bad experience. Without the needs for names does anyone else have any stories please ?

I can only contribute making Vernon's life a bit difficult at The Queen's on Scotland Street by knocking on the door at 11 am to play pool when I was back in Sheffield as a student; he soon worked it out, let me and friend Neil in, then went back to whatever he was doing. We played Pool, served ourselves (money in a pint pot intially), moved off the table when the local workers came in for their lunch/pint/game of pool; served them too (money in the till by now and a shout to Wyn with the orders); maybe Vernon didn't mind too much after all. :rolleyes:

Edward "Teddy" Bradshaw

Played for Sheffield Wednesday 1884 - 1891

League games - 0 games

FA Cup - 21 games & 1 goal

England - 1 (Full) Caps

Ran

?

A publican by 1891 until 1907 - had to give up his license due to illness and ended his days in the South Yorkshire Asylum.

Thanks

Ernest Blenkinsop

played for Wednesday 1923-34

League games 393 & 5 goals

FA Cup 31 games

England

1928-1933 26 Caps (0)

Ran

"Mason's Arms",

2 Carson Road,

S10

(1948 and 1951)

Jack Witham

played for Wednesday 1966-70

League games 63 & 27 goals

FA Cup 6 games & 4 goals

FL Cup 2 games

Ran

"Wadsley Jack"

Jack Brown

played for Sheffield Wednesday 1923-1937

League games 465 games

FA Cup

FL Cup

Ran

An Off License

A Public House in Sheffield

Jim McCalliog

played for Sheffield Wednesday

League games

FA Cup

FL Cup

Ran

George & Dragon - Wetherby

Kings Arms - Fenwick

Kevin Gage

played for Sheffield United 1996-1997

League games 115 (8 goals)

FA Cup

FL Cup

Runs

Green Dragon - Dronfield

Archie Roe

on Wednesday's books 1914-18

League games 0

FA Cup

FL Cup

Ran

A pub in pub in Attercliffe.

His son Fred was born there and he went onto play football for Sheffield, was in the Paras in the war and he also went on to run pubs in Bakewell, Fulham, Woodford and Loughton,

There must have been other bad deeds done by Publicans, I've had a pint or two in a Sheffield Pub or two in my time (bear in mind I left Sheffield aged 19) but I can't say I've ever been "done" or had a bad experience. Without the needs for names does anyone else have any stories please ?

I can only contribute making Vernon's life a bit difficult at The Queen's on Scotland Street by knocking on the door at 11 am to play pool when I was back in Sheffield as a student; he soon worked it out, let me and friend Neil in, then went back to whatever he was doing. We played Pool, served ourselves (money in a pint pot intially), moved off the table when the local workers came in for their lunch/pint/game of pool; served them too (money in the till by now and a shout to Wyn with the orders); maybe Vernon didn't mind too much after all. :rolleyes:

Back in the late sixties when my cousin Jack (Martin Brand) had a car and I didn't, we used to go out to Derbyshire on a Saturday night for a drink. We would start at the Old Hall, Hope, when Anthony had the carvery and soak up the beer with a delicious beef breadcake. At chucking out time we would motor to the Ladybower Inn where a drink could be obtained into the early hours. The Ladybower was kept by an old chap called Roger Eyre who would start off the evening with a bottle of whisky, two pints of milk and a glass below the bar and when all three bottles were empty he would chuck everyone out, usually about 2 am. The problem was if Roger offered to serve you rather than his wife, then you had to negotiate to get your correct change back. He would hand it back pence at a time until you stopped protesting when he would ****** back a few pence.

One evening I was stood in the passage behind the piano singing my head off with a full glass in my hand when the outer door opened and two very senior policemen walked in. They had the full compliment of gold braid, epulettes and ribbon colours. " Well I thought, if your going to be done for after hours drinking it might as well be by the Chief Constable"

They walked passed me and bending over the bar to a semi-comatose Roger the senior one said "Shut your curtains and turn off your outside lights Roger, be a good lad".

With this they turned around and walked out, the piano started up again and the party went on for another hour.

Happy Days (and dangerous ones if you were on the road at night).

Hilldweller

Jack Witham

played for Wednesday 1966-70

League games 63 & 27 goals

FA Cup 6 games & 4 goals

FL Cup 2 games

Ran

"Wadsley Jack"

Hoping for a year for this one, Wadsley Jack still on my list with no known keepers :(

Hoping for a year for this one, Wadsley Jack still on my list with no known keepers :(

He finished his football career in 1976

Wiki -

After retiring from football, Whitham ran the “Wadsley Jack” a public house in the Wadsley area of Sheffield for a few years. He then became the manager of the South Yorkshire Police Social Club in Wadsley Bridge.

So sorry that's nothing definite I'll have a look in some old programmes lol

He finished his football career in 1976

Wiki -

After retiring from football, Whitham ran the “Wadsley Jack” a public house in the Wadsley area of Sheffield for a few years. He then became the manager of the South Yorkshire Police Social Club in Wadsley Bridge.

So sorry that's nothing definite I'll have a look in some old programmes lol

Thank you, would be nice to get one keeper for the place ! Is it still open ? Ring 'em up !!! (Not very "history" though lol )

Thank you, would be nice to get one keeper for the place ! Is it still open ? Ring 'em up !!! (Not very "history" though lol )

I think you already have a few if the Info I have read is correct and explains why you havene't got any - the Wad was previously called The Star! he he

'The Wadsley Jack (formerly called The Star) which has the original village stocks outside'

Star

Rural Lane, Wadsley

Open 1825

Closed

Span

Comments

Earlier

1825 Mary Barker

1861 Thomas Knott

1881 John Lygo

1901 William Stinchcombe

1905 Arthur Charles Hollingsworth

1911 Albert Ibbitson

1925 Spencer Wilson

1948 Mrs Ellen Brooke

1951 Mrs Ellen Brooke

I think you already have a few if the Info I have read is correct and explains why you havene't got any - the Wad was previously called The Star! he he

'The Wadsley Jack (formerly called The Star) which has the original village stocks outside'

I'll delete the spare record then. Thank you.

<Hits self round head>