Photos of Sheffield Old and New

Markbaby

mm <_< Facebook don't quite get it, I listen to people at work who are a little younger than me (most people). they use it to keep in touch with friends, check their status and all sorts of other strange actions, I just go to the pub with DaveH

Is Sheffield History a bit like facebook?

According to your daughter who likes winding us up at every opportunity, Sheffield History is like...

quote...

"facebook for old blokes"

:o :o

Just had a look, a few of mine are on there. (Feels humbled) :mellow:

I heard on Radio Sheffield that they are having an exhibition in the art space at Castle Market, don't know any details as of yet

I heard on Radio Sheffield that they are having an exhibition in the art space at Castle Market, don't know any details as of yet

Its mentioned on there homepage, I should have looked 1st <_<

Where is the art space in Castle Market?

Is it just inside the Waingate entrance to the right near Harringtons were there is currently a murel of Sheffield markets through the ages and a markets museum?

( I would have posted a picture here but the box that lets you upload pictures is missing!!!! :angry: and it won't let me paste it in either!!!! :angry: )

Is this it?

(More than one way to get a picture on, hopefully!)

If this is the art space I will keep looking to see what goes on display.

Is it just inside the Waingate entrance to the right near Harringtons were there is currently a murel of Sheffield markets through the ages and a markets museum?

( I would have posted a picture here but the box that lets you upload pictures is missing!!!! :angry: and it won't let me paste it in either!!!! :angry: )

Is this it?

Its good to see we have a link on their links page.

Is this it?

Had a look today at this area and it still looks exactly as it does in the picture which I took last September.

However if this is the "art space" I will keep an eye on it for any developments.

i,m an admin for the group, the art space is actually on the bottom floor and consists of four of the old stall spaces and 3 wall spaces, we will be installing the pictures on Sun 24 th and will be changing the content after 3 weeks ..so if any one here thinks they have any pictures they would like to contribute ,you can find us on facebook here :- Pictures of Sheffield old and new

after the six week period in the market is finished, we,re also looking at taking the pictures into the shops at the top of the moor that have art installations in them, and possibly after that to the winter gardens.

Just spent ages looking through the photos - some great shots. Very enjoyable.

Only thing is, I wonder why so many of them don't have a description or even a date.

i,m an admin for the group, the art space is actually on the bottom floor and consists of four of the old stall spaces and 3 wall spaces, we will be installing the pictures on Sun 24 th and will be changing the content after 3 weeks ..so if any one here thinks they have any pictures they would like to contribute ,you can find us on facebook here :- Pictures of Sheffield old and new

after the six week period in the market is finished, we,re also looking at taking the pictures into the shops at the top of the moor that have art installations in them, and possibly after that to the winter gardens.

If I can contribute anything from "my" bits on here please PM SteveHb in the first place (he has the best copies I sent to him); thinking of engravings from Hunters/Gatty, Cabbage Alley and the scrapbook, Rock's Interior of St Pauls, anything from the Calendars I've contributed, Map 1 (OS), Cole's Corner etc etc.

A SH acknowlegement would be appreciated (free, polite, full of offers of help as you know). Contact me if Steve doesn't have any particular image that I have put on here that you would like to use (almost everything for the last two years has gone via Steve because he knows what he is doing, and, by implication, I don't).

I'd love to see photos of the exhibition, not likely to make it to Sheffield to see it.

Any help I can offer, please get in touch.

Just spent ages looking through the photos - some great shots. Very enjoyable.

Only thing is, I wonder why so many of them don't have a description or even a date.

Thats something we are always encouraging people to do, but many of the older photographs especially, are what people have had in photo albums and such like and basically they dont know when /were they were taken.But it does at least introduce some interaction between people as most of the regular members are always more than willing to help with any information they have regarding pictures.

If I can contribute anything from "my" bits on here please PM SteveHb in the first place (he has the best copies I sent to him); thinking of engravings from Hunters/Gatty, Cabbage Alley and the scrapbook, Rock's Interior of St Pauls, anything from the Calendars I've contributed, Map 1 (OS), Cole's Corner etc etc.

A SH acknowlegement would be appreciated (free, polite, full of offers of help as you know). Contact me if Steve doesn't have any particular image that I have put on here that you would like to use (almost everything for the last two years has gone via Steve because he knows what he is doing, and, by implication, I don't).

I'd love to see photos of the exhibition, not likely to make it to Sheffield to see it.

Any help I can offer, please get in touch.

I tend to get a lot of enquiries especially from new members or people who have just been browsing the pictures in passing, and the two places that i most commonly point them to are Sheffield History and Picture Sheffield

... but many of the older photographs especially, are what people have had in photo albums and such like and basically they dont know when /were they were taken.

and that's exactly what we like to see on here ... a little mystery for the enquiring mind.

Anyone got any old pictures; stick 'em on here. We'll have a go for you.

Anytime anyone has exhibition space I'm willing to assist (possibly via my Agent 10% Steve as I call him lol ) with images from SH. We should all do all we can to promote the site and especially to get more Members who post up enquiries/photos/memories.

Sheffield History is only as good as the input it recieves and thats up to all of us.

Thanks jimbo55,

Now that I know exctly where to look in Castle Market I will be keeping an eye out for those displays.

I have noticed that for some time now several former shops on The Moor which have long since closed are now basically shop window art displays and that some of them are very eye catching and well presented.

I think there is currently one on the Sheffield Blitz, not exactly the old Blitz museum but an excellent small shop window display of photos and memorabillia.

Thanks jimbo55,

Now that I know exctly where to look in Castle Market I will be keeping an eye out for those displays.

I have noticed that for some time now several former shops on The Moor which have long since closed are now basically shop window art displays and that some of them are very eye catching and well presented.

I think there is currently one on the Sheffield Blitz, not exactly the old Blitz museum but an excellent small shop window display of photos and memorabillia.

Found the art space downstairs in Castle Market.

It takes up the space of about 4 to 6 previous stalls / shops which have now long since closed and gone

The display looks very good and is well worth a trip down there if you are shopping in the area.

[sorry about picture quality, mobile phone in use]

It takes up the space of about 4 to 6 previous stalls / shops which have now long since closed and gone

The display looks very good and is well worth a trip down there if you are shopping in the area.

I thought that this may be of interest to anyone with suitable pictures which they would like to consider having displayed.

One of the many excellent pictures which caught my eye was this one, mainly because of my interest in steam vehicles.

A fairly typical steam roller, more than likely an Aveling and Porter, but I have not confirmed that because it was not the engine that got my attention.

The 2 workmen are operating a "scarifier" on the engines rear wheel.

This is a device designed to rip up the old road surface to a suitable depth prior to laying, and then rolling, the new surface.

Scarifying is ideally suited to steam vehicles as the vehicle needs to go slowly to "cut and lift" the road surface (a bit like ploughing a field) but at the same time needs a tremendous amount of force / torque / traction to pull the road up. Steam engines develop more force at low engine speeds due to higher pressures being able to build up while internal combustion engines develop more force at higher engine speeds, where there are more firing strokes per minute.

My grandfather used to do this sort of work for Sheffield Council Works Department for years, from the time when smoking ruined his career as a professional footballer in the early 1930's to the time when smoking ruined his health so badly that early retirement was forced on him in the late 1950's.

All of the "road works" men dressed in a similar way and as the picture is not that clear on facial details that could quite easily be him in this picture.

Thanks jimbo55,

we,ve been asked to extend the original six week period in the markets to ten weeks ,and we have also been given the shops on Cambridge street as the next venue directly after that.

One of the many excellent pictures which caught my eye was this one, mainly because of my interest in steam vehicles.

A fairly typical steam roller, more than likely an Aveling and Porter, but I have not confirmed that because it was not the engine that got my attention.

The 2 workmen are operating a "scarifier" on the engines rear wheel.

This is a device designed to rip up the old road surface to a suitable depth prior to laying, and then rolling, the new surface.

Scarifying is ideally suited to steam vehicles as the vehicle needs to go slowly to "cut and lift" the road surface (a bit like ploughing a field) but at the same time needs a tremendous amount of force / torque / traction to pull the road up. Steam engines develop more force at low engine speeds due to higher pressures being able to build up while internal combustion engines develop more force at higher engine speeds, where there are more firing strokes per minute.

My grandfather used to do this sort of work for Sheffield Council Works Department for years, from the time when smoking ruined his career as a professional footballer in the early 1930's to the time when smoking ruined his health so badly that early retirement was forced on him in the late 1950's.

All of the "road works" men dressed in a similar way and as the picture is not that clear on facial details that could quite easily be him in this picture.

the title on the our main site ,supplied by the member who contributed that picture is:-

-Wortley Rural District Councill Steam Roller Scarifier outside Cemetery Gates Loxley Rd,1952 With Royston Copley.

on a similar theme is this one :-

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3061...p;id=1308627866