Motor Coach Touring Holidays 1962

madannie77

It's that time of the year: Christmas is over and done with, and it is time to think about this year's Summer Holiday. How about a coaching tour, either on the Continent, in Ireland or at home. Sheffield United Tours should have something for everyone.

Further details of itineraries, fares and pick-up points available on request (i.e. the whole brochure has been scanned)

It's that time of the year: Christmas is over and done with, and it is time to think about this year's Summer Holiday. How about a coaching tour, either on the Continent, in Ireland or at home. Sheffield United Tours should have something for everyone.

Further details of itineraries, fares and pick-up points available on request (i.e. the whole brochure has been scanned)

Continental holidays by bus in 1962 <_<

Now that reminds me :huh:

How much does it cost to go to Athens (Greece) on a London double decker bus with Cliff Richard & the Shadows? he he

How much extra does it cost if you want Cliff to sing his way through the film soundtrack? lol

Continental holidays by bus in 1962 <_<

Now that reminds me :huh:

How much does it cost to go to Athens (Greece) on a London double decker bus with Cliff Richard & the Shadows? he he

How much extra does it cost if you want Cliff to sing his way through the film soundtrack? lol

Thankfully, the Sheffield United Tours were all luxury coach rather than old London double decker, and Cliff Richard was not included on any of them (not in person, anyway). Surely it should cost more to have a Cliff free holiday. Worth paying more to keep away from these rowdy rock and rolling youngsters. lol

Can't do you Athens, either. Furthest east is Austria and Italy, or if you really want to get away from it all, an eight days grand fishing holiday in Ireland.

Thankfully, the Sheffield United Tours were all luxury coach rather than old London double decker, and Cliff Richard was not included on any of them (not in person, anyway). Surely it should cost more to have a Cliff free holiday. Worth paying more to keep away from these rowdy rock and rolling youngsters. lol

Can't do you Athens, either. Furthest east is Austria and Italy, or if you really want to get away from it all, an eight days grand fishing holiday in Ireland.

12 days Super Tour to Interlaken sounds ok, how much would that cost me, I bet its a lot cheaper than the 6 Days I spent there last year.

12 days Super Tour to Interlaken sounds ok, how much would that cost me, I bet its a lot cheaper than the 6 Days I spent there last year.

35 1/2 guineas (which if my old brain is functioning, equates to £36.75). Bizarrely enough, although all prices are quoted in guineas, the deposit required is £1 (not one guinea).

Full itinerary below: note it takes several days to get there, including an overnight ferry: this is not one of SUT's Air-Coach tours, unfortunately.

Guest transit

.....sorry to p*ss on the bonfire - but surely this should be in the "Sheffield Transport" link ???? - cos in a few months , all these old ads for Sheff Utd Tours ect will be lost in our memories when we try to guide "new" members to links to stories we read a few months ago - but cant remember where !!!!!!!!!!???

.....sorry to p*ss on the bonfire - but surely this should be in the "Sheffield Transport" link ???? - cos in a few months , all these old ads for Sheff Utd Tours ect will be lost in our memories when we try to guide "new" members to links to stories we read a few months ago - but cant remember where !!!!!!!!!!???

I agree with your suggestion transit,

Topic now moved

I agree with your suggestion transit,

Topic now moved

Oops - hadn't realised I put it in the wrong section in the first place: must have been one of my many senior blonde moments :blink:

I had wondered while watching the film "Summer Holiday", how, in 1962 at the height of the Cold war with the Iron Curtain fully descended (remember there was a day in October 1962 which was "the eve of World War 3" when JFK had his finger on the nuclear strike button if the USSR didn't back down from placing missiles in Cuba, - fortunately for the entire world, - they did!), Cliff and the Shads managed to drive their bus out of northeasterm Italy into what was then the Communist country run by Tito which was the former Yugoslavia, and then drive down through Communist Yugoslavia and Albania to get to Greece.

I think the reason that the Orient Express started terminating at Venice rather than Istanbul was due to the closure of the aformentioned border by the Communists to Western travellers.

This also may be the reason why the SUT tours in 1962, unless they were fly + coach, also went no further East than Austria and Italy.

I like holidays in big romantic, continental capital cities.

How much would a 1962 SUT holiday to Paris or Rome have cost me?

I had wondered while watching the film "Summer Holiday", how, in 1962 at the height of the Cold war with the Iron Curtain fully descended (remember there was a day in October 1962 which was "the eve of World War 3" when JFK had his finger on the nuclear strike button if the USSR didn't back down from placing missiles in Cuba, - fortunately for the entire world, - they did!), Cliff and the Shads managed to drive their bus out of northeasterm Italy into what was then the Communist country run by Tito which was the former Yugoslavia, and then drive down through Communist Yugoslavia and Albania to get to Greece.

I think the reason that the Orient Express started terminating at Venice rather than Istanbul was due to the closure of the aformentioned border by the Communists to Western travellers.

This also may be the reason why the SUT tours in 1962, unless they were fly + coach, also went no further East than Austria and Italy.

I like holidays in big romantic, continental capital cities.

How much would a 1962 SUT holiday to Paris or Rome have cost me?

No tours to Rome, for some reason - I would have thought that would have been a popular destination.

Choice of three air-coach tours to Paris: 4 days for 9 guineas, 5 days for 10 guineas or 8 days for 14 guineas. All three have the pleasurable (??) experience of an overnight coach journey from Sheffield to Lympne Airport in Kent prior to flying to Beauvais in France.

Would Barcelona be of any interest? 14 days coach tour for 57 1/2 guineas, including several day trips.

Or perhaps Amsterdam: 29 1/2 guineas for an 8 day tour at tulip time?

No tours to Rome, for some reason - I would have thought that would have been a popular destination.

Choice of three air-coach tours to Paris: 4 days for 9 guineas, 5 days for 10 guineas or 8 days for 14 guineas. All three have the pleasurable (??) experience of an overnight coach journey from Sheffield to Lympne Airport in Kent prior to flying to Beauvais in France.

Would Barcelona be of any interest? 14 days coach tour for 57 1/2 guineas, including several day trips.

Or perhaps Amsterdam: 29 1/2 guineas for an 8 day tour at tulip time?

I quite fancy the Amsterdam one, - that looks really nice.

Barcelona takes far too long to get there, - a high price just to be sat on a coach for days on end making slow progress through England, France and Spain.

Paris is interesting,

Lympne airport is practically on the channel coast in Kent and likewise Beauvais is almost on the channel coast in northern France.

Surely the Channel crossing would be cheaper, and wouldn't take that much longer, by ferry.

The flying here is just a gimmick, it would be very much looked down upon these days due to its excessive carbon footprint.

Barcelona takes far too long to get there, - a high price just to be sat on a coach for days on end making slow progress through England, France and Spain.

Paris is interesting,

Lympne airport is practically on the channel coast in Kent and likewise Beauvais is almost on the channel coast in northern France.

Surely the Channel crossing would be cheaper, and wouldn't take that much longer, by ferry.

The flying here is just a gimmick, it would be very much looked down upon these days due to its excessive carbon footprint.

I have to agree with the comment about the Barcelona tour: much as I enjoy travelling without driving, there is far too much coach travel on this one (as well as several other tours).

Some of the other air-coach tours use Manchester Airport and the flight is to either Ostend or Basle, which makes rather more sense than the short-hop across the English Channel, as well as cutting the coach travelling time.

I quite fancy the Amsterdam tour, but then Amsterdam was (and is) a good place for trams.

Guest transit

Paris is interesting,

.....your coach awaits !!!! .........(although pics taken in '74 , when SUT had been taken over by National Express - hence the white badge on the front grilles !)

.....your coach awaits !!!! .........(although pics taken in '74 , when SUT had been taken over by National Express - hence the white badge on the front grilles !)

Nice shots: I like the mix in the first one - Sheffield and Rotherham buses, as well as a National liveried coach in the background.

The coaches in the second shot are pretty much the same as the coach which was clearly the pride of the SUT fleet in 1961: Plaxton bodied AEC Reliance 326 (136AWJ)

Guest transit

Nice shots: I like the mix in the first one - Sheffield and Rotherham buses, as well as a National liveried coach in the background.

The coaches in the second shot are pretty much the same as the coach which was clearly the pride of the SUT fleet in 1961: Plaxton bodied AEC Reliance 326 (136AWJ)

....similar 1322 WA is nearing complete restoration back to its former SUT glory at Aldwalke - www.sytm.co.uk

Heres a pic when awaiting restoration........

These coaches do look quite luxurious.

Got to agree with madannie then that its probably better than a double decker London bus for continental travel.

Especially if its Barcelona and it takes 3 days to get there!

Now in 1962 we spent our family summer holiday as was typical at the time on the Lincolnshire coast in a caravan in the Mabelthorpe - Ingoldmells - Skegness area.

At the time my dad had a Triumph Mayflower and we went in that.

Any idea how much this very British "Sheffield Works Week" holiday would have cost had we gone using a local coach company?