E.P.N.S Can we date this blade?

Hjdary

Have just been up to my Mums house in County Durham, where we got talking about The Sheffield shop and the Knives sold there.

Mum disappears for a minute and came back with this very old knife.

The story goes that she used it at her wedding with my dad to cut the cake, just like her Mum and her Mum before her had done. She's not sure if its older still.

I was hoping that it was hall marked but its plated and stamped EPNS. On the otherside up near the handle there was something else stamped but it has almost totaly worn away now, so much so it is now unreadable.

A quick google told us what EPNS was but little else.

I know it is very hard to date but if my Mum is right and it belonged to her great Grandmother I'm guessing it was bought in the late 1800's....is that about right for EPNS.

Can you take a picture of each side of the "collar" - as close and as hi-res as possible please, sometimes a hallmark on a silver collar ...or if not, a good looking at with a magnifying glass; I think the collar and the material the handle part is made of is your best chance.

Happy New Year Richard.

Will ask if someone in Durham can take some shots and post them, however due to its age and condition the markings on the collar are little more than scratches.

The only thing I could make out was that the letters towards the end of the word were upright letters such as L E I rather than rounded ones such as S O P if you know what I mean.

Thanks Richard.

That looks very similar and the dates look about right. I was interested about the plastic handle, we had assumed that due to its age it must be ivory.

Get yer Mum to keep an eye out for droppings, them humphalumps were big animals you know !

Guest lazarus

Can you take a picture of each side of the "collar" - as close and as hi-res as possible please, sometimes a hallmark on a silver collar ...or if not, a good looking at with a magnifying glass; I think the collar and the material the handle part is made of is your best chance.

Its not called a "COLLAR" its called a FERRULE

Its not called a "COLLAR" its called a FERRULE

I knew that, post New Year hangover ... probably ... :rolleyes:

Here are some more knives, this query was received by email

hi I would be grateful if you could give a rough date and the maker of this cutlery. It has the following marks EP NS sheffied England Inbetween sheffield and England is a picture that looks like a fleur de lys I have attached three pictures hope it is helpful many thanks mark williams

Here are some more knives, this query was received by email

hi I would be grateful if you could give a rough date and the maker of this cutlery. It has the following marks EP NS sheffied England Inbetween sheffield and England is a picture that looks like a fleur de lys I have attached three pictures hope it is helpful many thanks mark williams

Im sorry but your cutlery is cheap stuff, what we called Bingo Stall Cutlery. they had whats called a whittle tang and the bolster was fitted separate and thousands were produced weekly, I would think they were made in the sixties or seventies, the handles are just Xylonite sorry!