Shakespeare - Gibraltar St

Stuart0742

Article from The Star 31/12/09,

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Shakespeare-...much.5946777.jp

though they call it Shalesmoor not Gibralter St

Damned shame, the passing of yet another real pub. Here's hoping someone decides its worth a go.

We had a magnificent night-time picture of the Shakespeare on here at one time. Before its too late I'd like another one if anyone is passing - please.

Benjamin Beet did indeed have the place in 1821 though Samuel Scott is listed in the 1818-1820 directory.

Shakespeare

146 Gibralter Street

Open 1818-1820 Closed 2010 ?? Span 190 to 192 years

Earlier - previous building on same site

1818-20 Samuel Scott

1821 Benjamin Beet

1822 Benjamin Beet (48 Gibralter Street)

1825 Benjamin Beet (48 Gibralter Street)

1828 Benjamin Beet

1834 Thomas Ashby

1837 T Ashby

1845 J Rubbins/Rubens (138 Gibraltar Street)

1846 Isaac Rubbins

1849 Issac Rubbins

1851 Issac Rubbins

1852 Issac Rubbins

1854 Isaac Rubbins

1856 Isaac Rubbins

1861 Isaac Rubbins (employing 7 men and 3 boys)

1862 Isaac Rubbins

1871 Thomas Drabble (130-132 Gibralter Street) Aged 40, born Lithwell, Yorks; wife Ruth, 40, born Renishaw, Derbyshire

1881 Francis Best (148 Gibraltar Street) Aged 55, born Skelton in Cleveland; wife Charlotte, 56, born Earlsheaton, Yorks. Children Susan, 25; Annie, 17 and Charlotte 17 - all unmarried, all born Huddersfield. Also George Woolstone, Ostler, aged 26, born Sheffield.

Francis Best is in Leeds in 1891, so its not him.

There is a mystery then; who had The Shakespeare in 1891 ?

1893 Henry Ward 148 Gibralter Street (Update - Thanks Ukelele Lady)

1901 Frank Howson

1905 Frank Howson

1911 Samuel Doughty

1948 Laurence Rattigan

1951 Laurence Rattigan

2009-2010 Jeff Boss

----------------------------------------------------------

It would be nice to fill in the 1951-2009 gap if at all possible.

Article from The Star 31/12/09,

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Shakespeare-...much.5946777.jp

though they call it Shalesmoor not Gibralter St

I believe they are right when they say Gibralter street, it's continuation of West Bar.

West Bar, Gibralter street, Moorfields then Shalesmoor up to the junction of Infirmary road

and Penistone road. Although there have been many alterations around there I think the address

is still the same.

1893 Shakespeare 148 Gibralter street. Henry Ward.

I believe they are right when they say Gibralter street, it's continuation of West Bar.

West Bar, Gibralter street, Moorfields then Shalesmoor up to the junction of Infirmary road

and Penistone road. Although there have been many alterations around there I think the address

is still the same.

1893 Shakespeare 148 Gibralter street. Henry Ward.

The Star refer to it as Shalesmoor. Yes I agree it is Gibralter St

The Star refer to it as Shalesmoor. Yes I agree it is Gibralter St

Yet another cock-up made by The Star,

maybe we should send them a map

lol

Guest binsted71

Updated here and on main record. Thank you :rolleyes:

Although 'The Shakespeare' doesn't appear to be involved, it gets a mention in this unfortunate incident which was reported in The Times in 1856.

The Times October 10, 1856.

ROBBERY and MURDER at SHEFFIELD

A man named John Reid, head gardener to Mr. E.L.F. Benzon, of Hillsborough Hall, near Sheffield, died on Tuesday evening from injuries inflicted upon him by robbers on the Saturday evening previous.

Reid left home for Sheffield by the 7o’clock omnibus on Saturday evening, and was expected back in the course of the evening, but did not return. His absence during the whole of the night caused his family great alarm, which was not diminished by his return home at noon on Sunday in a very dangerous condition.

He stated to his wife that after transacting his business in Sheffield on Saturday evening he proceeded towards the Shakespeare Inn, Gibraltar Street, to meet the 10 o’clock omnibus for Hillsborough.

Being somewhat pushed for time, he took a near route through a notorious neighbourhood known as Silver Street, and while passing along this street was suddenly struck down with a heavy weapon by someone who he did not see. His pockets were rifled of a watch and about 10 shillings in money, and he was left lying upon the ground in a state of insensibility; so he remained until discovered upwards of an hour afterwards by the watchman, who conveyed him to the Town Hall, supposing, it would seem, that he was intoxicated.

Reid was detained at the Town Hall until next day, when, it being discovered that he was much injured, he was sent home in a cab. Mr Smith, surgeon, of Sheffield, was called in to attend him, and found him much injured about the ribs, abdomen, &c., and inflammation supervened with a fatal result.

Reid did not see the men by whom he was attacked, and little hope is entertained of their discovery.

Although 'The Shakespeare' doesn't appear to be involved, it gets a mention in this unfortunate incident which was reported in The Times in 1856.

The Times October 10, 1856.

ROBBERY and MURDER at SHEFFIELD

Shakespeare main record updated, Thank you Binsted71 :rolleyes:

Damned shame, the passing of yet another real pub. Here's hoping someone decides its worth a go.

We had a magnificent night-time picture of the Shakespeare on here at one time. Before its too late I'd like another one if anyone is passing - please.

Benjamin Beet did indeed have the place in 1821 though Samuel Scott is listed in the 1818-1820 directory.

Shakespeare

146 Gibraltar Street

Open 1818-1820 Closed 2010 ?? Span 190 to 192 years

Earlier - previous building on same site

1818-20 Samuel Scott

1821 Benjamin Beet

1822 Benjamin Beet (48 Gibraltar Street)

1825 Benjamin Beet (48 Gibraltar Street)

1828 Benjamin Beet

1834 Thomas Ashby

1837 Thomas Ashby

1841 Thomas Ashby

1845 J Rubbins/Rubens (138 Gibraltar Street)

1846 Isaac Rubbins

1849 Issac Rubbins

1851 Issac Rubbins

1852 Issac Rubbins

1854 Isaac Rubbins

1856 Isaac Rubbins

1861 Isaac Rubbins (employing 7 men and 3 boys)

1862 Isaac Rubbins

1871 Thomas Drabble (130-132 Gibralter Street) Aged 40, born Lithwell, Yorks; wife Ruth, 40, born Renishaw, Derbyshire

1881 Francis Best (148 Gibraltar Street) Aged 55, born Skelton in Cleveland; wife Charlotte, 56, born Earlsheaton, Yorks. Children Susan, 25; Annie, 17 and Charlotte 17 - all unmarried, all born Huddersfield. Also George Woolstone, Ostler, aged 26, born Sheffield.

1891 Harry Ward (See Census image; Thanks Stuart)

1893 Henry Ward 148 Gibraltar Street (Update - Thanks Ukelele Lady)

1901 Frank Howson

1905 Frank Howson

1911 Samuel Doughty & John Dossett (Whit'es)

1919 George Hall

1925 George Hall

1948 Laurence Rattigan

1951 Laurence Rattigan

2009-2010 Jeff Boss

It would be nice to fill in the 1951-2009 gap if at all possible.

Latest Update(s) :

1841 Thomas Ashby

1891 Henry "Harry" Ward (Thanks Stuart)

1911 John Dossett

1919 & 1925 George Hall

Now is the winter of our discontent - opening line, Richard the Third

Good friend in the late 1960's John Weatherill lived in Furnace Hill Flats, had two brothers and three sisters, I was a regular visitor. We shared a love of motorcycles, he parked his bike on the verandah under the kitchen window and kept spare parts in the bath. Just round the corner on Gibraltar Street was The Shakespeare, our local. We spent many of our evenings there, the dart board had a hard lump on the double 20, impossible to score, wonder if they replaced it? The landlord was a tall friendly man who spoke with a lisp, his tongue poked out of the side of his mouth, couldn't say ess, only eth. I can't remember his name, so, unable to fill in any blanks between 1951 and 2000 but I know these details will be invaluable (?) The Shakespeare, well, what can I say? It's gone but will always have a fond place in my memory. It's a wonder it suvived as long as it did.

The Shakespeare has finally closed and was boarded up last Friday (5/2/08)

Deeply saddened, we had a great night time picture of the place on here at one time.

Large venue, lots of parking nearby could be a great venue for music and Street parties/festivals - could even make a great Pub.

Deeply saddened, we had a great night time picture of the place on here at one time.

update

A sold sign has appeared today

mmm

lets see what happens

When I was a kid my dad played for the Shakespeare’s over 35’s football team.

I was only maybe 13 but was a decent enough player so he used to take me training with them.

one 5 a side game I was playing really well and the landlord of the pub who was on the other team kicked me so hard on the shin in a tackle I can still feel the indentation on my shin now.

I’ve always loved the pub like - one of the few traditional pubs we’ve got left.