Richard Hawley

Stuart0742

Yes that's its official name (aka Peak Cavern Castleton)

If you missed this on the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/f...000/8425874.stm

Yes I knew that, just like "The Beatles play The Cavern" then "Richard Hayley plays The Devil's Arse"

{get the link, - The Cavern, - Liverpool, The Devils Arse,- Peak Cavern, Castleton, - both Caverns} lol

Richard Hawley is becoming more popular these days but has always been very popular locally as many of his songs are based on local places and events, some of his albums taking names like Lowedges and Coles Corner.

Great stuff, I have got most of his CD's

Yes I knew that, just like "The Beatles play The Cavern" then "Richard Hayley plays The Devil's Arse"

{get the link, - The Cavern, - Liverpool, The Devils Arse,- Peak Cavern, Castleton, - both Caverns} lol

Richard Hawley is becoming more popular these days but has always been very popular locally as many of his songs are based on local places and events, some of his albums taking names like Lowedges and Coles Corner.

Great stuff, I have got most of his CD's

Richard Hawley plays Hawleys tyres

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Richard Hawley plays Hawleys tyres

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So what's the link this time?

Who owns Hawleys tyres?

No link, just Richard Hawley plays Hawleys tyres :)

For a top rated musician he plays some good top venues doesn't he, -

Hawleys Tyres :unsure:

The Devils Arse :blink:

Where will he be playing next?

The Hendersons Relish works!

By way of contrast - In the paper it says he is due to play the Royal Festival Hall in London tonight!

or not

Due to much of the country's transport network being affected by adverse weather conditions, we are concerned that many ticket holders will not be able to attend Richard Hawley’s concert at Royal Festival Hall on Saturday 9 January. We have been able to arrange with Richard Hawley to postpone the show until Saturday 23 January. Your original tickets for the 9 January will be valid on the 23 January.

We hope that the rescheduled date will make it easier for people to attend. We apologise if this is not the case and ask that if you have tickets for Saturday 9 January, but are unable to attend the performance on Saturday 23 January, that you post your tickets back to the Ticket Office at the address below by Monday 18 January for a refund.

Ticket Office

Freepost SE4075/2

Southbank Centre

London

SE1 8BR

By way of contrast - In the paper it says he is due to play the Royal Festival Hall in London tonight!

or not

Due to much of the country's transport network being affected by adverse weather conditions, we are concerned that many ticket holders will not be able to attend Richard Hawley’s concert at Royal Festival Hall on Saturday 9 January. We have been able to arrange with Richard Hawley to postpone the show until Saturday 23 January. Your original tickets for the 9 January will be valid on the 23 January.

We hope that the rescheduled date will make it easier for people to attend. We apologise if this is not the case and ask that if you have tickets for Saturday 9 January, but are unable to attend the performance on Saturday 23 January, that you post your tickets back to the Ticket Office at the address below by Monday 18 January for a refund.

Ticket Office

Freepost SE4075/2

Southbank Centre

London

SE1 8BR

It sounds very much as though you have got a ticket for this performance dunsbyowl, - unless the information you provide is not just a mailing to ticket holders.

Weather seems to be affecting just about everything at present.

I suppose if the concert was at the Devils Arse in Castleton that would be almost cut off by road and very cold

Pity he's not playing at Hawleys Tyres tonight then. lol

Monday 8 February 2010

Radio 2 11.30pm

1. 23:30�"00:00 The Ocean
    Episode 1
    1/4. Richard Hawley looks at how Britain's seafaring industries have influenced popular culture
In this series Sheffield singer songwriter Richard Hawley travels the length and breadth of the country on a unique tour of the coast. Over four episodes, he'll be looking at the numerous themes, which are recurring in songs and literature inspired by the sea; from religion and superstition to work songs, pirates and shipwrecks. Programme one looks at the sea as a great trafficker of people and the songs and stories written about people leaving and visiting the UK. On his tour of the coast from Cornwall to Aberdeen, stopping off in Liverpool, North Yorkshire and Glasgow, Richard will speak to songwriters, folklorists, historians and poets to find out how the tradition of writing about emigration and immigration has developed over time. With contributions from The Watersons in Robin Hood's Bay near Whitby, Stuart Murdoch in Glasgow, Aberdeen's city council historian, a shanty choir in Devon and poet Simon Armitage, to name a few, this programme will investigate the reasons why people have set sail towards life in a foreign land at various periods in British history.

The Clearances in Scotland, the potato famine in Ireland, the collapse of the tin mining industry in southwest England and government strategies to populate areas in Newfoundland through transportation have each lead to the mass exodus of people from the UK to unknown territories on the other side of the world. In days when conditions on board ship were poor and sea travel was incredibly dangerous, the trauma of emigration produced a rich tradition of folk songs written by those who faced life in a foreign land, and those who were left behind. Richard will visit the prison museum in Aberdeen where children were captured before being shipped to British colonies abroad. On a guided tour of Falmouth in Cornwall he will hear how people traveled, almost as human ballast, in timber ships sailing to North America and he is also treated to a private performance of a song about the loss of a loved one, sung by Norma Waterson in her front room in Robin Hood's Bay. Today with air travel and advancements of modern technology there are fewer artists writing with firsthand experience of sailing to the other side of the world and leaving their families behind forever. Richard will discover how the concept of sea travel still inspires contemporary British artists, albeit metaphorically instead of literally. He will speak to Belle and Sebastian front man Stuart Murdoch and hear a poem written and recited by Simon Armitage. Both these artists look to the ocean for the possibility of escape and a romantic notion of sea travel, rather than a place they'd actually like to set sail. Richard is from land locked Sheffield but is still enchanted by the history of seafaring culture, (the series is sound tracked by tracks penned by Hawley including The Sea Calls and The Ocean). He concludes that the ocean is a place to go and look out on the infinite, ponder the possibility of escape and remember that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Guest bangtidy

Monday 8 February 2010

Radio 2 11.30pm

1. 23:30�"00:00 The Ocean
    Episode 1
    1/4. Richard Hawley looks at how Britain's seafaring industries have influenced popular culture
In this series Sheffield singer songwriter Richard Hawley travels the length and breadth of the country on a unique tour of the coast. Over four episodes, he'll be looking at the numerous themes, which are recurring in songs and literature inspired by the sea; from religion and superstition to work songs, pirates and shipwrecks. Programme one looks at the sea as a great trafficker of people and the songs and stories written about people leaving and visiting the UK. On his tour of the coast from Cornwall to Aberdeen, stopping off in Liverpool, North Yorkshire and Glasgow, Richard will speak to songwriters, folklorists, historians and poets to find out how the tradition of writing about emigration and immigration has developed over time. With contributions from The Watersons in Robin Hood's Bay near Whitby, Stuart Murdoch in Glasgow, Aberdeen's city council historian, a shanty choir in Devon and poet Simon Armitage, to name a few, this programme will investigate the reasons why people have set sail towards life in a foreign land at various periods in British history.

The Clearances in Scotland, the potato famine in Ireland, the collapse of the tin mining industry in southwest England and government strategies to populate areas in Newfoundland through transportation have each lead to the mass exodus of people from the UK to unknown territories on the other side of the world. In days when conditions on board ship were poor and sea travel was incredibly dangerous, the trauma of emigration produced a rich tradition of folk songs written by those who faced life in a foreign land, and those who were left behind. Richard will visit the prison museum in Aberdeen where children were captured before being shipped to British colonies abroad. On a guided tour of Falmouth in Cornwall he will hear how people traveled, almost as human ballast, in timber ships sailing to North America and he is also treated to a private performance of a song about the loss of a loved one, sung by Norma Waterson in her front room in Robin Hood's Bay. Today with air travel and advancements of modern technology there are fewer artists writing with firsthand experience of sailing to the other side of the world and leaving their families behind forever. Richard will discover how the concept of sea travel still inspires contemporary British artists, albeit metaphorically instead of literally. He will speak to Belle and Sebastian front man Stuart Murdoch and hear a poem written and recited by Simon Armitage. Both these artists look to the ocean for the possibility of escape and a romantic notion of sea travel, rather than a place they'd actually like to set sail. Richard is from land locked Sheffield but is still enchanted by the history of seafaring culture, (the series is sound tracked by tracks penned by Hawley including The Sea Calls and The Ocean). He concludes that the ocean is a place to go and look out on the infinite, ponder the possibility of escape and remember that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Cheers Dunsbyowl

Ex pulp guitarist, singer/songwriter Richard Hawley is a truely amazing musician and makes me feel proud to be a Sheffielder.

I would love to see Richard Live and I know hes recently played London O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire aswell as the Sheffield Lyceum.

His new Album is titled 'Truelove's Gutter' released September 21 2009.

Also you may have heard his music on tv in the Häagen-Dazs commercial.

Ex-Pulp guitarist Richard Hawley helps Evlis' daughter relaunch music career;

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbiz/music...86908-21734627/

Just a few links of Richard Hawleys music:

Coles corner;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihUsm1xdPz4

Ladys bridge;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Dw3fcWU7I

For your lover, Give some time;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG6itlFun5A

A true Sheffield Legend.

Guest Drumbeat62

I've never seen Richard Hawley live although I do like what I've heard of hie recorded music. I'm from his late Fathers generation,

Dave Hawley was a pioneer of the early 60 s Sheffield scene, I left the Sheffield scene in 66 to join the army; I joined the regimental band when they found out that I was a Bass player (I played bass in Rock band and dance band and Saxophone in regimental band).

We shared a show in Cyprus with 'The Lorne Gibsin Trio' with Dave Hawley on Guitar.

There's some great pedigree bred into Richard Hawley.