Hendersons Relish

Sheffield History

I know someone who used to do the same thing until he had a heart attack and was advised to stay off it.

Too much of a good thing eh. :wacko:

So is there an ingredient in Hendersons that is bad for your heart?

So is there an ingredient in Hendersons that is bad for your heart?

There were once a time when they refused to put their " secret " ingredients on the bottle but now

it's for all to see.

Water, Spirit Vinegar, Sugar, Colour, Caramel, Syrup, Salt, Tamerinds, Sweetener, Saccharin

Garlick Oil, Emulsifier, Tragacanth? , Isopropyl Alcohol ?

It must have been the Isopropyl Alcohol that did it, what ever that is. :blink:

Hendersons relish on meat and tattie pie - cant beat it :P

My sister brings me a few bottles when she visits - always reminds me of my Sheffield roots.

There were once a time when they refused to put their " secret " ingredients on the bottle but now

it's for all to see.

Water, Spirit Vinegar, Sugar, Colour, Caramel, Syrup, Salt, Tamerinds, Sweetener, Saccharin

I sure Dave will explain all about it lol

Don't forget you can buy it online!

Thanks Bayleaf, I will certainly do that inbetween visits. In fact, I could just eat a meat n' tattie pie with a splash or two of Hendersons right now he he

it's for all to see.

Not too worried about the isopropyl alcohol (or propan-2-ol as it should be known these days) as I am quite familiar with it.

I have no idea what Tragacanth is, and given the ? in your post after it I assume you have no idea either, so that sounds like the obvious candidate to blame without knowing any cause or reason (not very scientific though is it)

Salt would be the main known culprit in this list, causing increased blood pressure and risk of heart problems, - but it depends on quantity.

"syrup" could be any of a number of things couldn't it?

Sugar isn't good for you either if you are diabetic.

Rachel Carson, the scientist author of "The Silent Spring" about the dangers of the insecticide DDT and it's accumulation up the food chain also did a similar work on sugar called "Sweet, White and Deadly"

Thanks Bayleaf, I will certainly do that inbetween visits. In fact, I could just eat a meat n' tattie pie with a splash or two of Hendersons right now he he

Sort of an online lifeline for ex-pat Sheffielders!

Sort of an online lifeline for ex-pat Sheffielders!

Yep - you are so right : but dont tell my Sister, she thinks she is doing me a big favour when she appears with a few bottles stashed in her suitcase and about her person!! he he

Yep - you are so right : but dont tell my Sister, she thinks she is doing me a big favour when she appears with a few bottles stashed in her suitcase and about her person!! he he

I don't think it is an offence to smuggle a condiment containing isopropyl alcohol out of the country, - or even into another one.

So, that leads me to think we need a picture of a very, very old Hendersons Relish bottle label or some old adverts ...

There were once a time when they refused to put their " secret " ingredients on the bottle

I don't think it is an offence to smuggle a condiment containing isopropyl alcohol out of the country, - or even into another one.

Actually if you look at their online order form, they can't send it to the US of A. Why am I not surprised...?

Circa 1915, just received this as a "Secret Santa" present at work.

So, that leads me to think we need a picture of a very, very old Hendersons Relish bottle label or some old adverts ...

97 years old might not be nice.

Need to find a stopper and refill maybe ?

Circa 1915, just received this as a "Secret Santa" present at work.

Guest lebourg

Always have a bottle or two in here in Normandy.

Our neighbours tried some on cottage pie we cooked for them and liked it.

Cottage pie - Hachis Parmentier with Yorkshire pud served separately of course..

Funnily enough they weren't keen on the gravy.

Things you can buy in our local supermarket.

Half a pigs head.

Rabbit

Pigs tongue, trotters, ears and most of the other bits.

Sheep's brains.

Giddy-up steak.

Tripe, a speciality of Vire

I have tried warm gezzier (gizzard) salad which was quite nice but I draw the line at Andouille.... berk!

Cottage pie - Hachis Parmentier with Yorkshire pud served separately of course..

Half a pigs head.

Rabbit

Sheep's brains.

Giddy-up steak.

I have tried warm gezzier (gizzard) salad which was quite nice but I draw the line at Andouille.... berk!

Uck! But what is giddy -up steak?

Half a pigs head.

Rabbit

Sheep's brains.

Giddy-up steak.

No viande de cheval (horse meat) then.

..and as it is France, what about their local delicacies of frogs and snails?

Not for me thanks, - France has some really nice cuisine with quality meat cuts, - and you can wash it down with a good swill of top quality wine as well.

Bon appetite