Hendersons Relish

Sheffield History

HENDERSONS RELISH

Hendersons Relish is a spicy and fruity condiment, similar in many respects to Worcestershire sauce, but as it contains no anchovies it is considered a vegetarian alternative. Produced in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, some adherents favour it out of regional loyalty as much as taste.

The product's slogan is "Made In Sheffield For Over A 100 Years". It is essentially made of water, sugar and spirit vinegar with a selection of spices and colouring. It can be found in local fish and chip shops and almost every supermarket and grocers in the city, yet is almost unavailable elsewhere (although it can now be ordered online).

According to Hendersons, famous fans of the condiment include Sheffield-born celebrities including Sean Bean, Peter Stringfellow and Def Leppard's Rick Savage. The singer/songwriter Richard Hawley used specially-labelled bottles of Hendersons Relish to promote his 2005 album 'Coles Corner'.

The factory is located adjacent to the University Supertram stop, on Leavygreave Road.

Official Hendersons Relish Website - http://www.hendersonsrelish.com/

Not So Official Fanclub ! - http://www.rocknroll.f9.co.uk/faceHair/hendos.htm

Hendersons Relish Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/hendersonsrelish

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_02_2007/post-1-1171747137.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_02_2007/post-1-1171747144.jpg

Worked at Jessops Hospital right across the street and could smell the relish being made. When I emigrated bought two gallon jugs of the stuff and had it shipped with all my belongings. Still stock up everytime I make a trip home.

I like the way that Henerson's repackage the relish into either Red and White, or Blue and White striped lebelled bottles.

Being a Sheffield Wednesday fan, I always try to get hold of the Blue and White bottles, when available.

Guest coffee cup

Who in Sheffield has not got a bottle of Hendersons relish in thier house ??

I Took a couple of bottles to friends from Sheffield who moved to Spain.

I have also seen it for sale in a Deli in Selby for £1.59 a bottle which is much more than we pay for it in Sheffield.

I have said before take a few bottles abroad with you, or even down south, and you could make a few bob selling it, as most people love it once they have tried it.

As well as on pies and stews, it is also rather nice on plain crisps,

Don't knock it until you have tried it.

Hendersons Relish has been available from Morrisons Supermarkets (outside the South Yorkshire area) for about 2 years. Bought a bottle at the weekend in Whitley Bay area, near Newcastle upon Tyne :rolleyes:

Guest JackD

We move back to Sheffield next month after five years in Cornwall.

Top of the shopping list at Morrisons, HENDERSONS RELISH.

JackD.

Another knock on effect of the credit crunch, crim's holding the sign to ransome for a reward of the best relish in the world? At least they have good taste!

he he he he

Guest Jakers

It was good to see a free ad for Hendersons Relish on the news yesterday. Sean Bean buying fish, chips, mushy peas and Hendersons Relish! Good on ya Sean! B)

I have said before take a few bottles abroad with you, or even down south, and you could make a few bob selling it, as most people love it once they have tried it.

My daughter married a lad from Cambridge and moved down there. She can't get Hendersons down there, always buys some when she comes to visit us and we always take her some down when we visit. Took her half a dozen bottles down a few week back so that should last her a bit. woman in the shop where my wife bought them thought she was mad.

My daughter married a lad from Cambridge and moved down there. She can't get Hendersons down there, always buys some when she comes to visit us and we always take her some down when we visit. Took her half a dozen bottles down a few week back so that should last her a bit. woman in the shop where my wife bought them thought she was mad.

From the Star 15/1

http://www.thestar.co.uk/memories/Relish-i...ical.4875887.jp

And now, for the Henderson's connoiseur who has everything,

From the Sheffield Shop on Eccy Road, in sterling silver, a snip at 235 pounds (Bottle of Relish included!)

Yes, we always get strange looks when we get to the checkout with about a dozen bottles, to send to exiled Sheffielders all round these shores and europe.

We sometimes feel like the Red Cross when we send a parcel of Hendersons, Yorkshire teabags, Bassets Allsorts and a few bottles of Easy Rider over to an uncle in France, it costs about forty pounds in postage!

Oh dear - I must confess to being a crisp addict - I try to avoid then generally - unfortunately on a recent trip to Yorkshire I came across these a "fell of the wagon" as they say. They were bloomin' marvelous but thankfully they don't sell them where I live!

Oh dear - I must confess to being a crisp addict - I try to avoid then generally - unfortunately on a recent trip to Yorkshire I came across these and "fell of the wagon" as they say. They were bloomin' marvelous but thankfully they don't sell them where I live!