Hendersons Relish

Sheffield History

Guest lebourg

When meat was rationed during the war I'm told it was common to eat giddy-up steak.

Here in Normandy cider is the preferred drink with a meal.

You only have red wine with a cheese course (nice smelly oozy Camembert from the President factory just down the road.

The cheese course comes before the desert.

Also after the first course you have a sorbet with a dash of calva to cleanse the palat. (calva-calvados often home brewed apple brandy)

Cider making with my neighbours

When meat was rationed during the war I'm told it was common to eat giddy-up steak.

Here in Normandy cider is the preferred drink with a meal.

You only have red wine with a cheese course (nice smelly oozy Camembert from the President factory just down the road.

The cheese course comes before the desert.

Also after the first course you have a sorbet with a dash of calva to cleanse the palat. (calva-calvados often home brewed apple brandy)

Cider making with my neighbours

My wife is quite keen on French ciders, - strange that only good ciders can be made in southwest England and northwest France on either side of the channel / manche. Must be something to do with the climate and varieties of apple that are grown.

We both like Calvados and find some of it, at 40%, very strong. It is illegal to home distil your own spirits in Britain (customs and excise duty on alcohol) but from your previous post this seems to be not the case in France as the calvados was "home made".

As for the cheese, - not keen on French cheeses, especially the soft ones, - I think I'll stick with English cheeses, - easily available in Castle Market!

Our first family holiday in France was to a gite on a Normandy farm. On arrival we found a bottle of home-made cider on the kitchen table as a welcome, and evil looking stuff it was too, but very nice. One evening we were invited to the farmhouse for an evening with the family. After a long chat in school French the farmer produced a bottle of his home made calvados. We'd been warned by my father-in-law who was in Normandy soon after D Day, and he wasn't joking!

Guest lebourg

The home brewed cava is definitely strong.

The old boys in the village have a license which is passed on down the generation but calva making is just part of life in rural Normandy.

I remember the first time i helped my neighbour he asked if we made cider back home.... Not in Sheffield. :huh:

Then he asked if people distilled calva?

I said no it wasn't allowed. Then he said "Well what do people do with their left over cider?"

I don't think he has any concept of big industrial city life at all.

Our first family holiday in France was to a gite on a Normandy farm. On arrival we found a bottle of home-made cider on the kitchen table as a welcome, and evil looking stuff it was too, but very nice. One evening we were invited to the farmhouse for an evening with the family. After a long chat in school French the farmer produced a bottle of his home made calvados. We'd been warned by my father-in-law who was in Normandy soon after D Day, and he wasn't joking!

France à son meilleur! Bonne nourriture et bon verre

HENDERSONS RELISH

Hendersons Relish is a spicy and fruity condiment, similar in many respects to Worcestershire sauce, but as it contains no anchovies it is considered a vegetarian alternative. Produced in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, some adherents favour it out of regional loyalty as much as taste.

The product's slogan is "Made In Sheffield For Over A 100 Years". It is essentially made of water, sugar and spirit vinegar with a selection of spices and colouring. It can be found in local fish and chip shops and almost every supermarket and grocers in the city, yet is almost unavailable elsewhere (although it can now be ordered online).

According to Hendersons, famous fans of the condiment include Sheffield-born celebrities including Sean Bean, Peter Stringfellow and Def Leppard's Rick Savage. The singer/songwriter Richard Hawley used specially-labelled bottles of Hendersons Relish to promote his 2005 album 'Coles Corner'.

The factory is located adjacent to the University Supertram stop, on Leavygreave Road.

Official Hendersons Relish Website - http://www.hendersonsrelish.com/

Not So Official Fanclub ! - http://www.rocknroll...Hair/hendos.htm

Hendersons Relish Myspace - http://www.myspace.c...endersonsrelish

'Favour it out of pherocial loyalty' and 'similar to Worcestershire sauce' What piffle from the editorial, have you ever tried it ? Seriously ! Liquid engineering and chemistry at its very best.

'Favour it out of pherocial loyalty' and 'similar to Worcestershire sauce' What piffle from the editorial, have you ever tried it ? Seriously ! Liquid engineering and chemistry at its very best.

Henderson's Relish is truely the "Nectar of the Gods" and to draw comparisons with Worcester Sauce is tantamount to comparing a 1920 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost with a 1960's Lada and the very worst that Communist Engineering could offer.